Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RX8, why does it seems like it doesn't get the love it deserve ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX8, why does it seems like it doesn't get the love it deserve ?

Hey guys,

So I was thinking about buying a new car to daily (and keep the MG for the week-end/meets), and I was thinking about a RX8 ...
    Why ? Because it's in my budget as a british import in France, LHD are too expensive and I really don't care about being on the wrong side of the car for the roads (been doing it for nearly 2 years), I really like the look of it, and the interior is really nice (was thinking about the Recaro edition).

I feel like this car get a lot of hate (from all types of people), is it just me ? I mean, a lot of unreliable cars (if that's the issue) don't get that much hate ...

What do you think ? (keep in mind that I daily a MG, I mean if you want unreliable ...)
    What are the real issues with this car ? And could they be solved with work on it ?

Peace !
    V
    My car : MG TF (2003)

If they where still sold new and I would have the money for it, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. If you know how to take care of a rotary, it will keep going forever. But for me its to much of a risk to get one used because you don't know how the previous owner has treated it.

There's probably a RX8 or Mazda or general carclub for rotary powered cars, spend a bit more money and get a good one from someone who knows what the **** they're doing.

Of the top of my head

- weak startermotor (can be replaced by a more powerfull one from another Mazda I believe)
    - LS1 coilpacks since the original ones on the first gen RX8's are to weak and cause problems
    - use the correct, manufacturer recommended oil (it burns oil by design to keep the rotar lubricated)
    - mix two-stroke in the fuel to keep the apex seals from drying out
    - overheating a rotary is super bad
    - if you start it, you have to drive it. Rotary's don't like short trips to the shop
    - when its properly warmed up, rev its guts out once every week or so to clear out any build up carbon deposits, this ruins apex seals.

Most people that ***** at rotary's don't understand them (that darn thing doesn't have 8 cylinders and pushrods, must be crap) and don't know how to take care of them.
    Last edited by TheCaptain; 04-07-2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, get a good one for a little more, I mean, they are still really cheap (even more if they are RHD in France, nobody want them), so I will really take my time to choose the good one.
      I'm not in a hurry, I already have my bike and my MG so .. but I want a nicer daily and being able to transport peoples (2 more is enough), I mean, my car doesn't even have backlit speedometer (from 2003 ^^)

and also, the best reason to buy a car : I want one.

V

Edit : And also, I can't really drift the MG
      Last edited by MightyJohn; 04-07-2018, 10:47 PM.
      My car : MG TF (2003)

Comment

Working...
      X