Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subaru Impreza 2.5rs good for first car? suggestions for cars (on P's)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru Impreza 2.5rs good for first car? suggestions for cars (on P's)

Hey everyone,

First official post here. As the title says im interested in a Subaru Impreza 2.5rs sedan. I also need a car that can tow a trailer because i have a dirtbike and ive noticed that you can put trailer bars on them i also really dont want a ute as i want to enjoy the driving experience, noise and modifications of a subie. I also cant have anything turbo cos im getting my P's (unless an exemption is easy). The only feasible option for a Jap car that could tow a trailer is a Subaru impreza. I absolutely love the WRX and was considering getting one assuming i could get an exemption (is this possible?). My budget is around $6k but would prefer spend a bit less. Ive been looking at the 2003-2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS which really appeals to with ease of access to parts, AWD, easily modifiable to look good and its boxer engine (especially its rumble lol). If i did get one i would want to make it look as close to a 04 WRX as possible assuming i dont get a proper WRX. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated please let me know! Thanks

Have you had a look at CarSales?
    You can filter out the turbo cars and sort them by price.
    I did a search for Liberty's as many came NA (as in no turbo) and set the max price to $5k.
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/sub...=sort&limit=12

You may find that many MANY cars were sold without towbars because for ages they ruined people's resale value. The thinking was that if a car had a towbar it was possible that it had strained the frame of the car and therefore might lead to issues later down the line, and you don't know until it happens.
    Never fear though, because it's possible that a Subaru dealer will know a shop that fits them aftermarket and it should cost anywhere around $400 supplied (as in you buy it and fit it yourself) to $700 fitted (as in they do it all for you).

Which state are you in? This may also affect which car you can drive. In some states you can't drive a manual if you didn't do your test in a manual, which also might limit your scope.

My advice would be if you're looking for a cheap and powerful Subie, maybe look for a 3.0L Liberty. Will keep you out of the cop's attention because it looks like someone's parents car too haha.

This listing is a 2006 Liberty Spec.B which had 180kw if I remember. SUPER sleeper.
    https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-5732825

Comment

Originally posted by ewat View Post
      Have you had a look at CarSales?
      You can filter out the turbo cars and sort them by price.
      I did a search for Liberty's as many came NA (as in no turbo) and set the max price to $5k.
      https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/sub...=sort&limit=12

You may find that many MANY cars were sold without towbars because for ages they ruined people's resale value. The thinking was that if a car had a towbar it was possible that it had strained the frame of the car and therefore might lead to issues later down the line, and you don't know until it happens.
      Never fear though, because it's possible that a Subaru dealer will know a shop that fits them aftermarket and it should cost anywhere around $400 supplied (as in you buy it and fit it yourself) to $700 fitted (as in they do it all for you).

Which state are you in? This may also affect which car you can drive. In some states you can't drive a manual if you didn't do your test in a manual, which also might limit your scope.

My advice would be if you're looking for a cheap and powerful Subie, maybe look for a 3.0L Liberty. Will keep you out of the cop's attention because it looks like someone's parents car too haha.

This listing is a 2006 Liberty Spec.B which had 180kw if I remember. SUPER sleeper.
      https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-5732825
      Thanks for the reply!

I live in Queensland and have only even driven a manual car. Im really not fussed on the looks of the liberty hence why i wanted a n/a impreza or WRX if i could get an exemption however people say the n/a imprezas are underpowered. All i want out of the car is fun but i dont want it to be a snail. Is this true? also idk if you would know how i could get an exemption with a 100% chance of aquiring it. Thanks!

Comment

Well as far as looks go I've seen some mad Liberty builds in Japan, so there's definitely the opportunity to do something mad. As far as power goes, 180kw is a great starting point, and will feel quite fun. To put it into perspective, the 2006 WRX shipped with 230hp on paper, and that's 171kw.
        So, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by ewat View Post
          Well as far as looks go I've seen some mad Liberty builds in Japan, so there's definitely the opportunity to do something mad. As far as power goes, 180kw is a great starting point, and will feel quite fun. To put it into perspective, the 2006 WRX shipped with 230hp on paper, and that's 171kw.
          So, yeah.
          Hey Bud, After alot of looking and thinking ive really started to dig the liberty's looks. Never really looked closely to them therefore never had a strong opinion. However i really really like them the more i look at them haha. Ive been looking at them for the past 2 weeks now and im going to most likely pick a 2006 Gen4 (its a 2.5 liter tho) up this weekend. Has all the features sunroof, climate control etc and really good kms. Also has the towbar that i need for that added extra bonus. Theres just something about any subaru that has a unique and good feeling to it! Thanks for your original suggestion!

Comment

Working...
          X