Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese car idea ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese car idea ??

Hello there
    So this year i need to get a new car..... (not new like 2020)
    Now i'm driving a Civic EK3 1.5 Vtec-E and i use it for daily and for long travels
    I will keep it as a daily drive but i will need another one that i can rely on .....
    So we are looking for JDM Machine that can compete against BMW 3 series (E36-E46/325-330i) or 5 Series (E39-E60/525-530i)
    200HP++ we can make exception for 150hp if the car can handle some mods....
    Not very new, let's say max 2008 ....
    2/3 doors or 4/5 doors
    So far i'm looking at
    Lexus IS200 (IS300 if found manual (don't know about the auto) )
    Mazda 3 MPS
    Mazda 6 MPS
    Some Subaru's but not very sure about them (are they reliable etc.) Legacy/ Liberty 3.0R or 3.0R Spec B (wagon and sedan)

Tell me what you think !?
    I'm from Bulgaria/Europe and i've always had a Japanese car's and i will continue drive them....

I like your list so far, some similar options to what I've noted down on my next car list. Have you considered the GS300, Accord Type S, Chaser, EP3?

Comment

I had a 1997Subaru JDM Wrx for 6 years, was fairly reliable - but I didn't beat on it.
      If you're into the V8 feel, maybe a mid 90's Toyota Soarer? The GT-T spec model if it can be found would I suspect compete with the BMWs

Comment

Now I’m looking at Accord Type S 7th generation and Civic EP Type R ??
        i don’t know about the EP like does it have enough space on the back seats and trunk ...
        don’t really like the placement of the shifter ... but since it’s a Type R I will get over it

Comment

Rear of EP3's is perfectly roomy for an adult.
          Boot Space is acceptable; much the same as any japanese hatchback.

Shifter placement is the BEST thing about the car, having to mvoe your hand 3 inches from the steering wheel to shift, rather than 3 feet? Godsend.

Comment

Well, what you could get to what amount of money are you willing to put in.

I have heard some quirks about the EJ flat 4 o the Subarus. Their head gaskets are prone to failure, due to corrosion, changing the clutch is a difficult task to do yourself because a good portion of driveline has to come off, and changing the sparks requires the engine to be lifted. Those are to take into consideration with those cars.
            But nonetheless, everyone owning a Subaru loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiizSwift View Post
              Well, what you could get to what amount of money are you willing to put in.

I have heard some quirks about the EJ flat 4 o the Subarus. Their head gaskets are prone to failure, due to corrosion, changing the clutch is a difficult task to do yourself because a good portion of driveline has to come off, and changing the sparks requires the engine to be lifted. Those are to take into consideration with those cars.
              But nonetheless, everyone owning a Subaru loved it.
              Sorry my dude, Just so you know, all of those facts are incorrect.

EJ25's are prone to head gasket failure, because they increased the bore more on an open deck block, rather than stroke, to gain the extra .5L, so they have a VERY thin seating area, there's zero to do with corrosion. The EJ20 is NOT prone to failure at all.
              Most of the 'easily knocks' and 'headgasket' stories are a side effect of Boxer engines being so quiet and smooth; you have 0% chance of a single-warning-plink sound like another motor might make if the oil is low, and a rod taps the crank, or a louder piston-in-bore due to loss of water and expansion.
              Having a failed subaru engine, that is 100% stock, and not missing fluids, is a rare event.

The clutch is a VERY easy task, because although it's a 4WD system, it's still a north-south box, so the only extra step is taking the front drive shafts out. It's nothing like an Audi, VW or Evo; but it is harder than a 180SX or such.

Changing the Sparkplugs is easy, you need a 2" extension on a 3/8ths ratchet, that's all.
              Anyone who says otherwise has been using a 1/2inch ratchet, or a typical 3" extension.
              You're playing with mm's of room; they simply won't fit.

I've built a few, and worked on dozens.
              Last edited by Master_Scythe; 09-05-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

What you think about Lexus IS200 ??

Comment

The IS200 is a good car, maybe a bit underpowered for the size and weight, but the fact than is rear wheel drive may add some extra excitement.

¿Haven't you thought about the Nissan 200SX?

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/n...dtsrc=listPage

Comment

Agreed, super nice car, but you need to accept that it's a comfort mobile, not a track weapon.
                    Nice stereo, add even more sound deadening, lower it tastefully with some nice rims....

Don't try and race it, it's just not quick.
                    But not every car needs to be quick.

Comment

Reading your first post, I'm guessing the IS200 isn't a car for you.

What about the Honda Prelude?

https://www.ooyyo.com/bulgaria/c=CDA...47326857.html/

Lexus SC400

https://www.ooyyo.com/bulgaria/c=CDA...45138498.html/

Mazda MX-3 1.8 V6 (A bit underpowered, but "easy" to swap to the 2.5 V6 engine of the Ford Probe).

https://www.ooyyo.com/bulgaria/c=CDA...95053981.html/

Mazda RX-8 (Cheap to buy, but quite expensive to maintain).

https://www.ooyyo.com/bulgaria/c=CDA...77847742.html/

Comment

Toyota Aristo or Toyota Chaser.
                        1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Originally posted by SBC View Post
                          Toyota Aristo or Toyota Chaser.
                          The Aristo is called Lexus GS300 here in Europe, and have a big drawback for using it as a sports car, as all of them are automatic.

The Chaser is a quite uncommon car in Europe (it was never sold here), and all of the units I have seen got the steering wheel on the right side, which would be inconvinient here, as only in the UK drive on the left side of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Kullman View Post

The Chaser is a quite uncommon car in Europe (it was never sold here), and all of the units I have seen got the steering wheel on the right side, which would be inconvinient here, as only in the UK drive on the left side of the road.
                            Well the OP asked about JDM cars. And we have quite huge JDM car scene in Finland, so lots of rhd cars around. Even drove my friend's Aristo once and it's just like drivnig lhd car.

And I actually meant that early 90's Aristo, not that ugly one that looks like W211 Mercedes.
                            1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

I'm sorry for the absence ....
                              So my budget will be something like a 6000 euro and i'm looking for cars more like sport sedan saloon .... but 2 door sports cars are always IN !!! (the 200sx is a dream car .....)
                              My eye balls are now looking at a Lexus IS250 from 2006 and up ..... i'm more into IS350 but they are hard to find in Europe maybe i will look for some crashed or anything from US or Canada and to import .....
                              The GS i like the exterior of the old and the newer model too 1999 and the 2006 ... but the instrument cluster of the older is awful the newer is better ... the navi the instrument cluster ..... just better... (my opinion) !!!
                              the other think i'm looking for is Subaru WRX..... whatever grabs my eye wagon/sedan..... blue,black,white just to grab my eye ....
                              I like some mazda's but i don't hear good opinions on them ....
                              Thanks for helping so far :]]]
                              Last edited by VilioBG; 12-08-2020, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X