Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

engine swap or current engine potential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine swap or current engine potential?

i have just got a 2000 mazda bj 323 astina with a 1.8l fp-de, does anyone know if the fp-de is worth modding or is there another engine swap aside from kl-de someone can recommend?
    a friend has a sr20 from a pulsar i can buy but not sure how to swap would go as i cant find any info on it and havnt measured anything yet?
    thanks in advance guys

If you can get your hands on a F2T...

https://www.mx6.com/threads/stuffing...-a-323.217857/

Also, you can try to find a KL-ZE, which is the japanese version of the KL-DE (with more power).

I really don't know how hard can be to swap SR20DE into a 323, but I know it has been done before (not sure about which 323 version, though).
    Last edited by Kullman; 18-06-2020, 03:19 AM.

Comment

If you can weld, and know how to build a wiring loom, and splice 2 ECU's into one; then swaps become realistic.
      Otherwise, if you need to ask, they're too hard.

I can tell you from experience those stock engines handle 14.7psi (1bar) boost just fine, with nothing but bigger injectors (and an ECU).
      If you wanna be paranoid and safe, you can run 7-8psi, which is 'wastegate pressure' on most turbos; you'll never break anything doing that (assuming your'e tuned).

That said, I don't believe the low boost would even NEED a tune, or even injectors, if you were running low boost.

Ive had a wideband installed in one of those cars for a while now; in stock form. It goes VERY RICH up the top end.
      think, with a 5:1 FMU (perhaps more) that the stock fuel system would handle boost OK, in the very low numbers.

Timing will also be (probably) OK, because it's a car thats 'tuned' for 91 octane from the factory.
      As such, the timing will NOT be very advanced, so as long as you run 98RON, you should have the timing side of it covered also.

Low boost and rich mixture should mean you don't need an intercooler either.

My mate who own the BJ 323 we built, decided to go intercooled and get a Haltech, because he has money to throw around; but before he decided that, we realised we could get the car boosted and driving for below $1k safely; more like $500 if we wanted to take more risks :P
      Last edited by Master_Scythe; 24-06-2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X