Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily driver/ family back-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cajunyankee
    replied
    I would second the GTI reply. Also, manuals in GTIs are quite common in the US. Another option would be a used WRX/STI of the hatchback variety though this probably wouldn't get you the MPG you're looking for. If you're looking for something more practical, Outbacks are also great

Leave a comment:

• Kullman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.MR2 View Post
    Hey guys thanks for the feedback! Not sure on the trunk space issue, but I know the Fit/Jazz is offered in manual here.I actually know 2 people with them and they both seem happy.

That being said, I think I'm going to try to have my Camry last a few more years. Rather than a new car, I'm going to try to build an attached garage with a second bathroom (and sneakily modify my shed to be a second barely-one-car garage) for about the same price... I hope. If it looks like I can get everything zoned and get permits and such, I may start a "How to build a garage" thread.
    If the height is not a problem, it may be easier to use a shipping container as garage, as they cost about 4.000 $ or less (depends on how new are them).

Leave a comment:

• Master_Scythe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.MR2 View Post
    If it looks like I can get everything zoned and get permits and such
    Haha, Australia is so backward there.

Sure, you can apply for zoning and such, but it's almost always cheaper to "just do it" then cop a fine (which is less than the permit) for an illegal structure.

Australia really broke the system :P

Leave a comment:

• Kullman
    replied
    VAG sucks...

LOL

Leave a comment:

• TheCaptain
    replied
    What does a Golf cost in the US, a nice GTI maybe? Manuals might be a little rare in the US though I don't know.

Not the most exciting car, but considering you're used to US cars

Leave a comment:

• Mr.MR2
    replied
    Hey guys thanks for the feedback! Not sure on the trunk space issue, but I know the Fit/Jazz is offered in manual here.I actually know 2 people with them and they both seem happy.

That being said, I think I'm going to try to have my Camry last a few more years. Rather than a new car, I'm going to try to build an attached garage with a second bathroom (and sneakily modify my shed to be a second barely-one-car garage) for about the same price... I hope. If it looks like I can get everything zoned and get permits and such, I may start a "How to build a garage" thread.

Leave a comment:

• Kullman
    replied
    Always talking about the first generation, as the second generation was never available in Spain, the Veloster have a 320 litre trunk, so bigger than the Jazz (Fit) in this aspect.

I have made a search in AutoTrader.com, trying to find a manual Honda Fit in the US, and the 43 available for sale are CVT, so I'm guessing than a manual Fit is unusual there, even if some are sold.

My CR-Z is much funnier to drive than a Jazz.

Leave a comment:

• Master_Scythe
    replied
    Originally posted by Kullman View Post
    Not my choice for a car "fun to drive", as he asked.

Specially cause every Fit I have seen in the US is CVT.

Also the Veloster have more trunk space than the Fit.
    Really?!

The Fit has 1205litres with the rear seats folded (and 304L with the seats up), and a PERFECTLY flat floor; it literally becomes a small van (gotta love the Honda Magic Seat design here!)

What does the veloster do? I can't see how you could possible get more space out of one..... I've moved a whole small apartment worth of furniture in once trip once.

Also, they're SHOCKINGLY fun to drive; plenty are not CVT.
    Last edited by Master_Scythe; 04-07-2020, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kullman
    replied
    Not my choice for a car "fun to drive", as he asked.

Specially cause every Fit I have seen in the US is CVT.

Also the Veloster have more trunk space than the Fit.
    Last edited by Kullman; 04-07-2020, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Master_Scythe
    replied
    When you're 'forced' to buy a 2nd car, I'm a big believer in it being full of USABLE features, rather than style.
    Your 'pride and joy' is the style car.

My vote is a small Ute (or what the US guys call a 'pickup' but a small one). Dual Cab Nissan Navara, Toyota Hilux, or something that either is, or can be a Van. So like, a VW Caddy or a Honda Jazz (FIT in the US).

The ability to carry a bunch of gear is always super handy, and its a whole new world of mod options too

Leave a comment:

• Kullman
    replied
    Reading an article about the future Nissan 400Z, I found this long term review about the Veloster.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/urban/h...-premium-79096

Leave a comment:

• Kullman
    replied
    You should talk with Meaker , even if his Veloster is a bit older than this one.

He have a thread about his 2014 Veloster in the Members Rides section

Leave a comment:

• Mr.MR2
    replied
    Originally posted by Kullman View Post
    What about a Hyundai Veloster?

It's a coupe with a good dynamics, with a good mileage, good front seats and acceptable rear seats.

I was looking around and found this one, which I liked.

It's the 1.6 Turbo Spec-R version, with 201 hp, 6-speed manual transmision, multi-link rear suspension, and 0-60 in 6,2 seconds.

MIleage is decent, according Hyundai, and achieves 33 mpg on the highway.

I definitely was looking into them! I just don't know much about if they're any good to drive or if they're reliable. I'll have to find some reviews on them!
    That one isn't even terribly far from me (less than 1.5 hours).

Leave a comment:

• Mr.MR2
    replied
    Originally posted by MHR1294 View Post
    This is probably quite vague,

but if your kids are quite young and not going to be tall for another few years, you could get a sportyish car that's a 2+2 seater - obviously they'll be fine in the small rear seats.

What do you drive just now? I've no idea what sort of cars are still available in the US or their prices.
    I have an 11 month old and another planned in the near-ish future. I did test drive a BRZ, which I loved, but I think the rear seat is too small unfortunately.
    I'd be replacing my 2007 V6 Camry that I originally bought for my wife for $750 who shared a car with her sister at the time (obviously before we were married). It's lasted 40k miles but is starting to need work fairly regularly and I don't really enjoy driving it much.

Leave a comment:

• Kullman
    replied
    What about a Hyundai Veloster?

It's a coupe with a good dynamics, with a good mileage, good front seats and acceptable rear seats.

I was looking around and found this one, which I liked.

It's the 1.6 Turbo Spec-R version, with 201 hp, 6-speed manual transmision, multi-link rear suspension, and 0-60 in 6,2 seconds.

MIleage is decent, according Hyundai, and achieves 33 mpg on the highway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X