Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SLWRTHNU's Slow Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HOLDENMAN1998 View Post
    Mad rebuild pics. just curious what are u planning to do with the car. Also can you tell me what was stock and whats now aftermarket.
    Thanks. Well, I was planning on putting a turbo in it, but things changed and I couldn't dump any more money into it. I need this car back on the road so I can start to enjoy it again. Once it's running again (hopefully after this head gasket), I plan on bringing it to the track as much as possible and putting a smile on my face. That's really it for now. Plans might change later down the road if I get bored. I just need to drive this car again.

I'm not sure the full list but I'll try my best to remember (It's been a while and I'm really tired):

Things that didn't come on the car from factory:

DC header
    Integra Type R cat-back
    AEM cold air intake
    K&N filter
    Type R valve springs
    ARP head studs
    Exedy "Stage 2" clutch
    Function and Form Type 2 coilovers
    Skunk2 camber kit
    Skunk2 upper control arms
    Blox rear LCA's
    Spoon reservoir covers (adds so much horsepower!!)
    Strut bars
    H.I.D. high(4.3k) and low(5k) beam headlights
    Amber corner lights (turn signals) with amber bulbs
    Type R gauge cluster
    Skunk2 short shifter with Skunk2 shift knob
    Energy shifter bushings
    98-01 tail lights (my car is a 96)
    I may, or may not have added a kill switch...
    Rota Slipstreams 16x7
    Skunk2 lugnuts
    GReddy timing belt
    MOMO steering wheel

I think that is all for now. Everything else that I have replaced, I have used OEM replacements. My main focus has been weight reduction. Power/weight ratios are so important in these little 4-bangers so if I could lower the weight and up that ratio, it would give me the best "bang for my buck" (as it's usually free).

The list of things that I have taken out is a little longer then the list of things I've put in... hahaha.
    My Current Rebuild Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Holden Vx View Post
      awesome pics dude nice detail in the pics
      Thank you, I try and be thorough.

Comment

Not much of an update. I have a head gasket coming in tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to make another video of the car running by day's end.

But I kind of got the weight reduction fever again and think I'm going to take it one step further. I still have a few luxuries left in the car that I don't need, like door panels...

I still have to get all the glue off and possibly make a cover for the doors, but for now this is what they will look like. Watch out headliner, you're next!!

Comment

So I got a new head gasket (and my buddy even tossed in an S2000 oil filter fo' fwee). I got the head back installed but have not hooked up anything yet. The timing is set and everything is torqued to spec. I took the distributor off to make it a little easier and when I moved it, I heard something strange. I opened the cap to find this:

No idea how the heck this happened. Hopefully this is the end of my bad luck.

Comment

I got some gifts from my buddy Pat again. Looks like I can get back to work.

Comment

cant wait till you get it all finished. youve sure put a lot of time and effort into it.

Comment

Alright so I made a short little video here

(again, if someone knows how to embed videos on this forum, please let me know)

So it runs with no mechanical issues!! so stoked!! I will have to fix the wiring issue that is causing it to idle like that but I'm pretty sure I just have the wrong plug in the IACV or something. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

The video is cut off because we let the car run for a while and rev it a few times. Nothing entertaining. I was actually able to drive my car back into the garage though so that's a good sign!!

P.S. the guy looking at the engine is the infamous Pat that has helped me a butt-load throughout this rebuild and donated a lot of stuff.
                Last edited by Faceplant; 28-04-2012, 07:17 PM. Reason: fixed the video

Comment

awesome work man, cant wait to see it in action!

Comment

Originally posted by mightyminicarz View Post
                    awesome work man, cant wait to see it in action!
                    That makes 2 of us. AutoCross days are approaching fast!! I need to get this thing finished A.S.A.P.

Comment

If the battery wasn't dead, I'd roll the windows up and wash it. I guess another time.

All I need now is a charged battery, replace my oil pan gasket (it's leaking oil), and to replace all the fluids. I just put all new fluids in but since I've been working on it, I want to wash out all the crap so new fluids are going in.

Comment

Looks like it got a wash after-all. Thanks Mother Nature!!

Comment

Originally posted by SLWRTHNU View Post
                          Looks like it got a wash after-all. Thanks Mother Nature!!

Quick man GRAB A SPONGE!

it looking good.
                          Qualified to do stuff!

Comment

hahaha, it's a 96' with the original paint featuring a couple of rust spots and some dents. I will be saving up and getting it painted so I'm not worried about it. I don't drive it in the rain though. Trying to keep it as clean as possible.

Comment

Working...
                            X