Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960 VW Beetle build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 VW Beetle build

Bought this a few weeks ago, a long term project between my brother and I, will write more when I have a working keyboard, currently using an onscreen one.

1960 vee dub

Nice!

Looks like we are starting to get a few aircooled VW's on here.

All stripped out like that reminds me of my old '68 we have as a paddock basher!

What's the plan for this one?
    Understeer: When you hit the wall with the front of your car.
    Oversteer: When you hit the wall with the back of your car.
    Horsepower: How fast you're going when you hit the wall.
    Torque: How far you take the wall with you.

The Rebuild Begins...

Comment

Much rust? Doesn't look too bad from the pics.

Comment

Looking forward to more!

Also, dakota digital makes a digital dash kit for these, just letting you know.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyCharger View Post
          What's the plan for this one?
          Two tone original colours, 2332cc engine build while the cars being built up, have two 1600cc at the moment. Bit more but baby steps for now.

Originally posted by devilspace View Post
          Much rust? Doesn't look too bad from the pics.
          Rust situation was really good, there's a little bit in battery tray, but that's expected, other than that just a little bit of surface around the windows but when that's fixed the seals will cover it anyway.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          Also, dakota digital makes a digital dash kit for these, just letting you know.
          Love the idea of that, just not for this bug, bit too new for us, we're thinking the only digital thing will be a stereo but even that won't look new but still has aux etc. fr10274.jpg

EDIT: Interior is now bare, working on wiring loom but considering ripping out and buying a new loom, some of the wires have been twisted together and taped, would feel bad if Marty ever saw that... Picked up the rest of the parts, two sets of front fenders and the rears. Anyone know where to sauce seals in Aus?
          Last edited by hambowbow; 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM.
          1960 vee dub

Comment

love Vee Dubs, looking forward to watching this one!

Comment

You've got alot to do mate Good luck!
              MCM Queensland Facebook Groups:
              Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Brisbane
              Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Sunshine Coast
              Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Gold Coast
              Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - FNQ
              MCM Queensland Forum

Comment

never seen a sunroof in a vw beetle before. looks alright
                sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

Originally posted by MR. NXR View Post
                  never seen a sunroof in a vw beetle before. looks alright
                  You need to get out more, i have seen soo many with them, all the same pop up one, they are common around minis too.

Good luck with the build
                  1977 mini sunshine: the slow build continues

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...cooper-s-specs

Comment

Ragtop is planned, mainly to replace the sunroof. Some work done, interior mostly stripped, got all our panels and started on some surface rust.

Sorry for big pics, we want the car to be maybe an inch or two higher than where those panels are sitting now.

EDIT: Images resize themselves? Mad

Thought I'd add, since we've owned the handbrake died, so when I moved it further up the drive, I realised I couldn't get out. An extra battery lying in the car is holding the handbrake up and a seat belt holding the battery. Hopefully this week will get interior bare and wires gone completely. Am trying to source <1958 tail lights, little smaller I think, looks better. Was thinking of stereo situation, rather than speakers in the parcel shelf, an old 2nd hand vinyl player. Also looking at renting a spray booth and doing the full respray ourselves, mainly for cost. Will update later this week.
                    Last edited by hambowbow; 21-05-2012, 09:31 PM.
                    1960 vee dub

Comment

Not much this week, don't think I'll be updating for a bit, this rain and car outside on dirt doesn't make anything easier. Think I'll just get the stripping done, just a bit in the back left now, and around the headliner. Not sure about the loom yet, need to go over with brother, might just spend a full day labeling every wire and where it plugs, but I guess the beauty of the beetle is there really isn't much to label. In terms of getting it running, should be getting the engine out of the first beetle in the next few weeks, our jack is in Bowral and still need to buy some stands. Can't figure out the handbrake yet, it doesn't seem like it's anything above the tunnel it sits on, concerning. Might get a few more pictures of it tomorrow
                      1960 vee dub

Comment

Working...
                      X