Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1978 honda civic restore/upgade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean View Post
    once i get these done i'll be able to start working on the rear drum brakes and engine getting it all ready for roady
    but for my last 4 days of holidays im going to be doing squat and enjoying my weekend.
    How come rear drum brakes and not the disc/caliper set up? Not criticising, just curious!
    And a good rest is always good, take it easy mate.
    Daily: Christie the Chrysler
    Mod Tester: The '89 Civic, still to be named! Now Serving a family of four

Comment

To get disc to work on mine I need to machine a few things to fit i don't have the time or money at this moment
      sigpic
      My 1978 Honda Civic restore
      http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...restore-upgade

Comment

Ok so small tiny update
        ....... I need to buy a new air compressor .... Grrrr! But that's alright I'm also ordering replacement slave cylinders for the rear brakes as they are leaking .... But so it doesn't seem like some doing nothing ill get some smaller stuff done tomorrow so I have pics and what not to show you guys

I would like to thank rake for moving my build thread .... All these legit feels
        sigpic

Comment

Build looks awesome mate.
          Some great dedication there!
          1996 Mitsubishi FTO GPX Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Technikhaus View Post
            Build looks awesome mate.
            Some great dedication there!
            thanks mate its alot of fun and also a stress reliever but.....

SMALL UPDATE!

so it started to rain today here on the goldy so i popped into bunnings and bought these two things

at $11 each im just going to be testing these out and see how they go as im painting these

now for those of you who cant tell what they are, they are the front grill and the head light edging and the other black grill is the hood scoop grill, im going to be repainting these black for the epicness that it is.

well i thought i would start on one of the head light edgings giving everything but the chrome a nice sand down as i found these

poor girl has never been treated this good in her whole life i bet

so as it was raining and cold the primer took more then 3 hours to harden and after the 3rd coat i gave it a buff ready for the paint but it started flaking off so i have it a another sand and another coat of primer..... im going to leave it up and have a look tomorrow. if it doesn't like the metal as the WHOLE thing had been chromed im going to take them both into and and only sandblast the parts i want black to give the primer and paint something better to grab onto

other then that hickup the primer comes out really nice and shouldn't have a problem if i let it sit for 24hours but in other news im going to be looking for a air compressor this week or else i wont be primering the other parts of the car anytime soon
            sigpic

Comment

Good work there mate

Comment

ok so after i gave the door a buzz i marked out the hole on the bottom left side of the door and cut it out so i could treat the rust behind it

after i treated the rust on the door and inside of it i filled the hole with as much fibreglass as i could ...... now if it doesnt work i'll take it back to work and sand blast it off haha and just weld a patch in but by the looks of it it looks quite nice and is pretty solid, i cant push the metal down all around the fibreglass so im pretty happy with it but still not what i really wanted to do

now as for all the holes in the middle of the bottom ... that will be getting welded as its too flimsy to just fibreglass up and i have a feeling i'll have to cut more metal out from the bottom of it

but so far this is where im up to, tomorrow i'll be bogging up the other door and getting it ready for primer and as for the driver side door i think it might have to wait another week of two for when i go back to work to make the moneys to buy sheet metal and welding gas for the mad scientist's mig
                I've got to admit, I'm a little concerned about the fiberglass repairs. Metal expands and contracts in the heat, fiberglass doesn't. It might work for a few months, but then when you have it all pretty and finished, you'll see a big crack appear under the paint. But if you are doing it, make sure you use epoxy resin, it has a far superior stick (I used both, but when the polyester resin dries on my washing up gloves, it cracks off easily, the epoxy resin sticks and bonds like crazy, the plastic will break before the resin).

Your previous rust repairs looked pretty good in the earlier pics. If its the price, I'd recommend my fire extinguisher trick, works like a charm. And for the sheet metal you're using, go into the sheet metal place, and tell you wanted some scrap for some for rust repairs. Most of the guys in those places are car people, I walked out with enough metal for the rust repairs on my ute for $15. Good steel too.

Comment

Thanks Colum black-Byron, I'm going to be taking that fiberglass out as it did crack and come off the metal in the heat , just got to wait for the mad scientist to get back from holidays
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks Colum black-Byron, I'm going to be taking that fiberglass out as it did crack and come off the metal in the heat , just got to wait for the mad scientist to get back from holidays
                    I'd offer to give you a few mig lessons, but the gold coast is a bit of a drive from here

Comment

• One expansive lesson haha
                      sigpic

Comment

• well im very happy to say the head light edge come out very very well, alot better then i thought it was going to be

last night after giving it a good sand i gave it one last coat of primer ..... kinda thick and let it sit over night and into the afternoon got home and checked it out and alot of the imperfections had gone, i could still see them but none the less gone so i gave it a nice coat of semi-gloss black 3 light coats followed by on last coat after 15mins, after letting it sit for about 4 hours this is what it looks like now and im very impressed with the product itself.

i shall get plastic primer tomorrow and get stuck into the other side and the grills while i looks for a air compressor, my next update might not be for about a week or two but i'll make sure i have loads of pics
                        sigpic

Comment

• Small personal update booked my drivers test for the 28th of feb ...... Only took 6 years haha I also got a comprssor on Friday for $80 but that's another story.....
                          sigpic

Comment

• UPDATE TIME!
                            well kinda lol, so the driver side door has been sent off to get welded up and i should have it back next monday <.< they ran out of steel but eh not in a real rush.

I did in fact get some more painting done but im not happy with it

i dont know what has happen but between primer and paint something has gotten in-between and has made it bubble :/ so i sanded it down and tried again with out primer just paint

the second i put paint on it it started to bubble again .... i had the biggest rage ever lol so i sanded it back down to bare metal and gave it another coat of primer

now the primer came out sexy has and i thought to my self " YES ITS WORKED" but then when i added the paint it bubbled again ...... at this point i raged too much and thought "**** it im taking them to work" Im going to see if i can get them sandblasted and poweder coated with a powder that matches as the plastic grill is going the same colour black ....... but any ways on a different day i got given $100 gift card for supercheap auto from mah dad so i rang them up and they have the rear brake slave cylinder for the drums :O for $30!!!!!!!! and the shoes and drums!!!!!!!!!!! all up its going to cost me $180 for brand new rear drums hahaha i was over the moon but they will have to wait for a few more weeks but after that i had a look at the right hand rear drum .... the one that is leaking all the brake fluid ......

its nasty as andlooks like someone had just throw dirt and oil in there ...... i tryed to clean it up a little to have a better look but no luck..

well anyways i have got my self a air compressor annnnnnnnnd i also broke it the day i got it ........ i have parts coming in from china and MERICA! cause it was cheaper to get it online then it was at the shops ......

so this is where i am now and once the door comes back i'll be in over drive to get the doors and panels in primer
                            sigpic

Comment

• amazing work man, i probably would've given up a long time a go or when i saw how much work had to be done, especially with the rust.
                              "Thou shalt not go stage 2 if thou hasn't installedeth a downpipe, unless thy wantest a checketh engine light. Lo, thou who installedeth a downpipe and has not tunedeth to stage 2 shall face thine engine's wrath, for thy dash shall become illuminated and proclaim "Hark, thou hast slain me", so sayeth the ECU." -LeftBehind, IWSTI

sigpic

Not low, Pretty slow.

Comment

• imagesCA3FWWBN.jpg
                                .................................................. .
                                we all know this forum is about koalas, kangaroos and eucalyptus leaves, not cars.

Comment

Working...
                                X