Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Front Bumper/Air Dam (Yes, really)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks mate!

Comment

Been following this thread since you started but I haven't posted, how rude of me!

Keep up the awesome work, its great to see what you're doing every step of the way. Goodluck!

Comment

Yeah, the main motivation for documenting it so well is that there is almost no useful information on this stuff on the internet. Glad you're enjoying the build.

Comment

Alright guys, I had hoped we would get a lot done on the bumper today but we didn't get all that far for a full day's work.

We carved up the rest of the bottom lip:

Then we lined it all up as best we could (took a while because everything is cut up now) and discovered this:

The bottom of the headlight bucket's foam no longer lines up with the middle fillets. I'm not sure how long this problem has been kicking around but we sure noticed it now. So the only solution for that was to either redo the middle fillets or redo the headlight buckets. With only one more can of foam on hand we chose to redo the headlight buckets:

Also, we got bored. While steven carved a car that was supposed to be his out of a block of foam I made some cardboard teeth. When we went and got lunch we left the top row of them on

Comment

Lookingg good - love the sharks teeth :P
            Daily Driver - 1998 Saab 900
            Daily Rider - 2011 Yamaha YZF-R125

Comment

ahh cardboard, youd be suprised how many of the worlds best custom body kits started out with a cardboard structure for the mould

Comment

Haha, yeah it's not bad to use but I won't claim it to be the best option possible.

Comment

hahahahahaha you guys are still determined aren´t ya? This maybe a little late in the build to suggest it, but why didnt you just use blocks of styrofoam to fill it all up, and then just use a hot thin wire (connected to some batteries for heat) to cut out the majority of the shape? Its really light, and can easily be bonded temporarily to flat surfaces.
                  Originally posted by deadcell96
                  It's like Underground 2 all over again.
                  Originally posted by jmacman12
                  ...but, but he's got such a good star rating!!

Disclaimer: Under NO circumstance should anybody replicate any actions I did. Seriously. Don't.

Comment

No more updates?

You haven't given up have you?
                    $900 Silvia? See it come together here~ Click!
                    $0 SR20? [Featuring $400 Silvia] See it come together here~ Click!

Comment

No we haven't given up, I've just run out of time. And since it was my house and my stuff we were using that means that the project is on hold. Unfortunately on hold probably means on hold until my uni semester is finished and I have a month off at the mid-year break.

Comment

you guys are making a body kit out of chip boxes and foam. i love it.
                        Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

Oh god. So many projects. So little time.

Rather unfortunately, steven is now working full time as a mechanics apprentice and is holding onto a second job for weekend work to make extra money, so I don't know if we'll ever finish this despite how stubborn he will be when I mention this to him.

So if this is the last post I ever make here then I'd like to say:
                          Kids: use a bloody wood frame and sheets of extruded polystyrene. I was being lazy and since it wasn't my money I decided cardboard couldn't hurt and that the expanding foam would be fine. If this were for my car and being done with my money, I would have done a million measurements, made a cardboard model, and then cut up all the wood I would need to make a proper frame. After that it's a case of inserting pieces of the polystyrene sheet into the wooden frame either vertically or horizontally and carving it to conform with the shape of the wood.

We do these things so other people can learn from our boo-boos

Comment

Rather unfortunately (for this project), steven is now working full time as a mechanics apprentice and is holding onto a second job for weekend work to make extra money, so I don't know if we'll ever finish this since I have no real interest in finishing this without him.

Kids: use a bloody wood frame and sheets of extruded polystyrene. I was being lazy and since it wasn't my money I decided cardboard couldn't hurt and that the expanding foam would be fine. If this were for my car and being done with my money, I would have done a million measurements, made a cardboard model, and then cut up all the wood I would need to make a proper frame. After that it's a case of inserting pieces of the polystyrene sheet into the wooden frame either vertically or horizontally and carving it to conform with the shape of the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by popsprocket View Post

Rather unfortunately (for this project), steven is now working full time as a mechanics apprentice and is holding onto a second job for weekend work to make extra money, so I don't know if we'll ever finish this since I have no real interest in finishing this without him.

i really hope it's not the last post since that project was mad!!

and on the card board bit, it was coming along nicely... you can trim cardboard better than you can trim wood, all you have to do is to finish the whole front with fiber and bog to get that smooth finish !!
                              my ride
                              http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...rd-Fiesta-Mk6-!

Comment

Originally posted by WABi View Post
                                i really hope it's not the last post since that project was mad!!

and on the card board bit, it was coming along nicely... you can trim cardboard better than you can trim wood, all you have to do is to finish the whole front with fiber and bog to get that smooth finish !!
                                That's true about the cardboard, but I have both the skills and equipment to work with a wooden frame. Hell, using sheets of styrene you could do this without the frame if you really wanted to. But otherwise, the last bit isn't quite so simple as that. We'd have to smooth off the foam completely with plaster/bog and then we were going to take a fiberglass mould from that so that more could be produced because there's been some small interest in the Z car community and some people were considering buying one.

Comment

Working...
                                X