Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My friend's Quattro restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend's Quattro restoration

Hey guys,

a friend of mine just made quite the investment. He managed to pick up an 84 Audi Quattro project car for $5500 CAD. There are less than 35 of these known to be on Canadian roads so it's quite the gem, but there's already a problem -- he's by no means a car guy!

************Story time! Skip this if you just want to know about the car.
    He became infatuated with the car a few months ago when he saw a red one zip by his restaraunt. He rushed home after work, described it and asked if I knew what he was talking about. We quickly found out what he saw and he INSISTED he must have one. He loved the way it looked (ugh..) but was further intrigued when he read about it's heritage. I spent the next month or two trying to convince him to fawn on other more easily attainable and maintainable cars that looked similar. For instance he likes the car for having no curves, so I directed him towards the Scirocco and the Nissan 200SX (The Gazelle to aussies? The S12) and he liked both, but didn't budge from the Audi. I even found the perfect S12 for him online. I happened to stumble across a rust free example with an SR20 turbo swap for less than $5k. QUITE nice. I would have nabbed it myself if I could afford it. A week or two later I was browsing the auto classifieds and I found thr Audi in the photos below. I'll continue about finding and buying the car below...

So we went to take a look at this Audi we found in the online classifieds and the body is spotless.. A touch of rust on the rear bumper underneath the car, but nothing on the body itself. The interior was slashed up by an angry girlfriend/wife almost 14 years ago after it was tuned and painted, and it's been sitting ever since. Apparently all it needs are new vacuum lines to get it running but we'll see.. Myself and two other friends that know a little more than a bit about cars will be helping with the project and hopefully in the time we're with him he learns our pain in working on an almost 30 year old German car. The car was paid for and towed to his place last weekend. I'll be there next weekend to take tons of photos and get it up on cinder blocks and under a cover for the winter, and when the snow melts we'll ATTACK!

I'll keep this thread updated with photos and with the project, but I want to hear from you guys what you think I'm in for!

My experience: Auto shop in high school led me to doing two 350 V8 swaps in my life and a lot of general maintainance. I've done my share of brakes, suspension, and an engine rebuild.
    My friend Pat's exp: He owned an imported Skyline GTS-t for a few years and he's done some brakes, suspension and turbo crap. Not sure what else but I know he's just as big a car nut as myself so he could have a lot more experience.

Neither of us have ever touched a german car. :I

PHOTOS!
    $T2eC16dHJIQE9qUHuFd1BQEE))6UU!~~48_20.JPG
    $(KGrHqJHJCIE-pUw2Uf8BQEE)wrIdQ~~48_20.JPG
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L32 swapped ~300hp or 220kW - Sold
    1997 GMC Safari - Current DD and hating it! Soon to be 24 hours of LeMons racer

My friend's Quattro restoration

This looks like it will turn out to be a great build! Amazing car and good luck mate
    MCM Queensland Facebook Groups:
    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Brisbane
    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Sunshine Coast
    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Gold Coast
    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - FNQ
    MCM Queensland Forum

Comment

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/foru...-Build-Threads

Comment

Originally posted by MRTIIDA View Post
        This looks like it will turn out to be a great build! Amazing car and good luck mate
        Thanks, man! It should be even if it is difficult. I've never driven an awd car with more than 150hp so it'll be interesting.
        Yeah I know. I noticed right after I posted and PM'd some mods. I'm a jerk.

Comment

No worries, I love the car haha. I was just in a shitty mood earlier so I didn't say anything else It's an honest mistake, also welcome to MCM fellow Canadian.

Comment

Don't abandon this thread, because i will be following this one for sure!

Comment

Cmon what happened to this "build"? Very interesting car!
              sigpic
              _'03 Mazda 323 Astina Shades __________________________________________________ ________NG Images - My Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Apex View Post
                I'll be there next weekend to take tons of photos and get it up on cinder blocks and under a cover for the winter, and when the snow melts we'll ATTACK!
                Originally posted by MadeinJapan View Post
                Cmon what happened to this "build"? Very interesting car!
                Answered in OP
                My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
                The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
                My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
                sigpic

Comment

So, we never took those photos, but there'll be plenty of time before it gets too cold to do that. I've been working on it every few weekends and we're still only into replacing vacuum lines. I have a bunch of diagrams downloaded but whoever worked on this last left a bunch of stuff unconnected and lying all over the place. Very tough to locate everything.

Having only experienced working on American cars and older Japanese cars, working on this 80s German thing is straaaange. Did you guys know that the intake and exhaust manifolds are on the same side of these 10v engines?! That's the most bizzare thing in the world to me!

Comment

Working...
                  X