Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jenga's Project: Vevo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenga's Project: Vevo

Hey everyone,

So with the Cuore pretty much finished, I've been looking around for the next thing to keep me occupied during the university holidays. It had to meet three specifications: Cheap, turbo (or the option of one) and newer than 1990. After looking at a lot of cars (and coming very close to purchasing an MR2, very glad I didn't), I came across this weird van-looking thing on ebay for $1500. A Mitsubishi RVR. After a bit of research, I discovered these things came with a de-tuned variation of the Evo III 4G63T motor and were only avaliable in Japan. Perfect.

Sure, it is fairly rough and has had some SERIOUS neglect by its Australian owner. The main reason why it was so cheap was because of a knock in the top end of the motor... Basically, if it revs over 2000rpm, it gets a nasty knocking noise, somewhat like a cold diesel engine. The engine will definitely need to be rebuilt. Apart from the engine, the clearcoat has failed on the doors and rear quarter panels. No rust though, thankfully.

However because this thing already has a turbo, it means I don't really have to worry about engineer's certificates! Having to go through inspections and emissions testing was my main gripe with the cuore, so being able to skip all that is an absolute win in my opinion.

The name Vevo comes from the fact that it's a van, but also part Evo. Thus, Vevo (cheers Daniel ) The mission statement for this one is to just have fun and learn more about rebuilding engines. Hopefully it will turn into a fun daily driver.

Anyway, pictures!

The first drive after picking it up. And yes, those are 350Z rims. They scrub like crazy, the previous owner put them on to replace the wheels he had on it previously (apparently he had 20" rims on it beforehand *shudder*)

The reason why this car has potential:

Once I got it home and took of the front bar, I discovered a front mount intercooler. Why is it there and not connected? I have absolutely no idea.

First job was to take the motor out and do a tear down. I didn't muck around and got straight into it:

One of the reasons why I think the engine has seen some serious neglect. Old mate must've used dam water for coolant or something :/ Luckily, I already bought a nice new alloy radiator.

The tiny little TD04 turbo. Apparently it's around the same size turbo that came on WRX's. Like the Moogaru, it spools quickly and runs out of puff super quickly.

Luckily I picked up a replacement for cheap; A TD05 from an Evo 8. It obviously won't be a bolt on job (did someone say steam pipe manifold? )

After a fair bit of effort, the engine came out... It's the first time I've removed an engine from a car on my own, so it was interesting

The engine as of this afternoon:

Also, I picked these up for $500. Brembo's from an Evo 7, absolute score. I need maximum braking power when I'm travelling around school zones in my soccer-mum Evo

I have plans to find and install an Evo 7/8 ECU, because they're flashable. You can keep all the nice things (cold starts, enrichments, etc...) but change the fuel and spark maps. Some also have a dual map feature. I also discovered it has viscous LSD's installed front and rear. Unfortunately it is auto and a manual conversion will be very expensive (gearbox, transfer case and diff will need to be swapped) so it will stay auto for now. It doesn't worry me though.

That's it for now... I'll keep this thread updated as get things done
    Last edited by Jenga; 02-12-2012, 08:03 AM.

Looks great have never seen on in my life

Comment

'bout time this went up! I'll give you the name of a brake guy if you want the brembo's re-done, does awesome work at a good price. Can't wait to see where this goes, i'm sure it'll be pretty damn awesome though.

Comment

yay, fun times to come , you really like weird small vehicles.
        Qualified to do stuff!

Comment

You sir, are a beast.

My uncle had one of these years back when they were popular in Zambia. Sadly due to lack of parts and people failing to do proper services on them, the popularity died quickly.
          Spreading the CITI GOLF Madness all over MCM

sigpic

It's like my blow off valve is saying "FUS RO DAH!"

Comment

Jenga's Project: Vevo

Nice buy! I'm looking forward to this build thread
            MCM Queensland Facebook Groups:
            Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Brisbane
            Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Sunshine Coast
            Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Gold Coast
            Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - FNQ
            MCM Queensland Forum

Comment

Wow i love this, sleeper car or what. Sick intercooler that wasnt connected though, very very very strange. Cant wait to see more
              1st ride - 96' Acura TL 2.5L 5 Banger, 160k's+,
              DIY stereo / headunit install.

Comment

I've seen one of those before, they were sold as Eagle Summit here.

I'd say the guy put the front mount on just so it looks like it has a front mount. In the 1st picture you can kinda see it behind the bumper.

It's sad to see it rot like it has, anything with a 4g63 should be treated better than that.
                29 years old, and still a daily.

Comment

I will suggest, if you can get them to work, a DSM ECU because you can get this: http://www.ecmtuning.com/ which is user programmable via laptop and has extra features like expanded maps.

Is the clicking coming from the front cover at all and is it affected by pushing on the clutch? You may have guessed this question is regarding crank walk.

If you need info, go to the jafromobile youtube channel. The drive line in these RVR's is almost identical to the Eclipse GSX.

As far as the turbo goes an EVO 1-3 turbo will bolt up to that manifold.

How cheap was that EVO 8 turbo? Spending more to fit a cheaper part may outweigh finding the proper part in the first place.

DSM parts are cheap over here so from a long term parts availability standpoint it mat be better to go with the stock architecture in terms of the turbo flange and location. Not sure if shipping will kill it though.

Also Forced Performance is having a holiday sale
                  This manifold should bolt up to your engine and will never crack...and is on sale for REALLY cheap, although shipping might be a pain.
                  http://store.forcedperformance.net/m..._Code=EMFPRace

Also bigger turbo if you are adding beefy bits inside the engine:
                  http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...Code=DSM-Turbo

As far as the stock turbo, TD04 is only part of the equation with mitsubishi turbos. I am guessing if it ran out of puff quickly it was a 14b or worse a 13g.

Popular turbos are the Evo3 16g which is a 16g like the one you got, but will actually fit because it was made before they rotated the engine 180 degrees. 20g's are also popular.
                  Last edited by FortKid; 02-12-2012, 04:00 AM.
                  Originally posted by MOOG
                  Volvo is turbo and proper mad.
                  Originally posted by Jenga
                  You see, when a piston, block, crankshaft, and some fuel and air all love each other very, very much.....

Comment

that thing is awesome! cant wait to see more to come!!

Comment

Interested to see where this goes, seeing your attention to detail with the cuore. Now that you have a 4g, your closest source of info is honestly about as far away as opening skype.

Comment

Originally posted by FortKid View Post
                        I will suggest, if you can get them to work, a DSM ECU because you can get this: http://www.ecmtuning.com/ which is user programmable via laptop and has extra features like expanded maps.

Is the clicking coming from the front cover at all and is it affected by pushing on the clutch? You may have guessed this question is regarding crank walk.

If you need info, go to the jafromobile youtube channel. The drive line in these RVR's is almost identical to the Eclipse GSX.

As far as the turbo goes an EVO 1-3 turbo will bolt up to that manifold.

How cheap was that EVO 8 turbo? Spending more to fit a cheaper part may outweigh finding the proper part in the first place.

DSM parts are cheap over here so from a long term parts availability standpoint it mat be better to go with the stock architecture in terms of the turbo flange and location. Not sure if shipping will kill it though.

Also Forced Performance is having a holiday sale
                        This manifold should bolt up to your engine and will never crack...and is on sale for REALLY cheap, although shipping might be a pain.
                        http://store.forcedperformance.net/m..._Code=EMFPRace

Also bigger turbo if you are adding beefy bits inside the engine:
                        http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...Code=DSM-Turbo

As far as the stock turbo, TD04 is only part of the equation with mitsubishi turbos. I am guessing if it ran out of puff quickly it was a 14b or worse a 13g.

Popular turbos are the Evo3 16g which is a 16g like the one you got, but will actually fit because it was made before they rotated the engine 180 degrees. 20g's are also popular.
                        Yeah I think that's the ECU I'm looking for, it has 4 plugs, right?

As for the engine noise, this is exactly the noise it's making:

I am aware the Evo 1-3 turbo would be bolt-on, however turbos from them are hard to find over here and when you do find one, they're at least $400. I'm not paying that much for a >15 year old turbo, when Evo 7-9 parts are much, much more common. Also being from a later model Evo, it's twin scroll and has a titanium alloy compressor.

The Evo 8 turbo I bought was $200 and is in extremely good condition. I will admit I did want to do some custom work anyway, where's the fun when everything simply bolts up? This is a budget build, so fitment will be a lower priority if the part is cheap, good quality and will fit with some modification. I'm a uni student after all

Postage for heavy parts from the US kills a lot of the value, but it still does sometimes work out cheaper. Things like ECUs and light parts are cheap to send here though.

I'm still relatively new to these engines, so I'm open to any advice. Still lots to learn!

I'll be doing a teardown of the engine over the next day or two. Whoever can correctly guess the source of the knocking noise will win +10 internet points.
                        Last edited by Jenga; 02-12-2012, 04:49 AM.

Comment

I am guessing rod bearings.

Also the 180 degree's off on the turbo is the main issue, not the flange. It will require pretty much a redo of all the piping for inlet, boost and exhaust. If you can, see if a stock evo8 manifold will bolt up. It already has the internal routing to get the exhaust to each scroll properly.
                          Last edited by FortKid; 02-12-2012, 04:59 AM.
                          You see, when a piston, block, crankshaft, and some fuel and air all love each other very, very much.....

Comment

Yeah that was my initial guess aswell.

I know to fit this turbo it will need a fair amount of custom piping. I'll just get a set of flanges and weld up my own piping. Making a manifold that routes the correct cylinders to each scroll isn't much of an issue either. Nothing I haven't done before While it will be a lot more effort than simply buying a manifold, I'd rather take the time and build my own, that's the fun part IMO.

I'll probably just buy a heap of piping and make my own turbo->cat section, it already has a nicely done mandrel bent cat-back section.

But before worrying about any of that stuff, I have to work out what's going on with the engine and see what it'll take to rebuild it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenga View Post
                              Yeah that was my initial guess aswell.

I know to fit this turbo it will need a fair amount of custom piping. I'll just get a set of flanges and weld up my own piping. Making a manifold that routes the correct cylinders to each scroll isn't much of an issue either. Nothing I haven't done before While it will be a lot more effort than simply buying a manifold, I'd rather take the time and build my own, that's the fun part IMO.

I'll probably just buy a heap of piping and make my own turbo->cat section, it already has a nicely done mandrel bent cat-back section.

But before worrying about any of that stuff, I have to work out what's going on with the engine and see what it'll take to rebuild it.
                              If you are doing aftermarket rods and pistons (which is almost cheaper than getting the stock parts refurbished) look for a crankshaft in a junkyard from a 2.4L 4G64 engine.

With this, and the correct length rods and pistons it makes a 2.3L stroker engine that will spool up the turbo faster and have more torque. It will also tolerate big cams much better.

If you are feeling super daring, certain 4G64 blocks can be used in place of the 2.0. The 6mm higher deck height will make for a better rod stroke ratio...giving more revs. You will need adjustable cam pulleys to get the timing to work out.

A summary of popular combos:

A 2.0 crank in the 2.4 block is 2.1L and will rev sky high but be down on torque. Lots of drag racers use these and rev to 11k rpm.

A 2.4 crank in a 2.0 block will make a 2.3L and won't rev as high. This is a popular combo for street cars over here due to ease of build and increase in performance.

A 2.4 crank in a 2.4 block with 6mm longer rods and shorter pistons will rev higher than the 2.3 and still have tons of torque, but requires running around collecting parts from various places to make everything work out.

In terms of ECU's, they changed the arrangement of the sensors on these engines several times. Yours appears to not have the external cam angle sensor on the left back side of the head. This should correspond to a 1995-1996 DSM ECU if you are looking for an ECU from the US to run DSMLink/ECMLink. And no you can't have my ECU.

EDIT:
                              inb4 the bottom end looks like this lol
                              Last edited by FortKid; 02-12-2012, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X