Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Milkchicken's ED6 Mini Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milkchicken's ED6 Mini Me

Hey guys

So I've had Ed (yeah I know very original name) since October last year and although I was itching to make a thread about it, there wasn't much interesting to show about it... until now... But lets take a trip back in time to 2012 when I first got the car..... (plays dramatic time warping music)

After searching the net for a little project car I came across this cute little 1990 ED6 Civic. It was quite a good price and after a few phone calls I organised the car trailer and drove down to Melbourne to pick it up. Was a nice Birthday Present thats for sure (cos I know how to roll).. This is how it looked when I got it home. Its quite small on the trailer thats for sure.

After its first little clean

The first thing that we did was put some nice fresh fuel in it (since it had been sitting for a few months) and fired it up. This is when I found the first of many problems... The car would turn over, but not every time I turned the key. After some searching we found out it was the Ignition barrel... This was also the perfect time to rip out the god awful alarm system that someone hacked into the car... Best satisfaction was ripping it out and throwing it on the floor. The stupid system had 4 boxes and wires everywhere, not even the auto elect place that we go to knew the brand so it was either very old, or very cheap. Either way it needed to come out.

So many wires and boxes

Dodgy installation of a central locking unit

The next thing was to give the little beast a service. Everything was a little overdue, the transmission oil was a little smelly, the air filter was BLAAACK (and thats not a good thing) and the engine oil, well it was dirty BUT some turkey decided to strip the sump plug bolt... This made me so annoyed.. Its not hard to do up a sump plug bolt right, and since its a metal pan unless I felt like re threading the thread, I had to replace it.. I ended up replacing it since it was also leaking a little anyway. Nice shiny new one looks pretty

Tried sealing it up with FIPG but this didn't work well when the sump plug was spewing oil all the time

Sparkly shiny

After that I noticed the rocker cover was looking a little dull and starting to flake. Great opportunity to give it a bit of love with a new paint job. After standing at the paint cupboard for ages, I decided to go with a gloss black.. I know its not original but red would have looked odd on a already red car.. Too much red for me. So black it was, replaced the gasket as well since I suspect it also to be weeping out the front and it looked mint.

Stock rocker cover after taking off the old pain

After a nice coat of paint

Sitting in the car was nice, and since it has no rego we're limited to where we can drive.. Joys of living on property is we can drive up and down the lane way and not get in trouble for it. Woop. This is then when I decided to make it a little nicer in there. After pulling out the whole interior, we got out the carpet and upholstery cleaner. The seats and carpet got a full clean out and they came up quite well. Quite impressed as to how good they look... Although the front seats will be changed over for CRX seats when I can find a good set for a good price. Buying a cheap car means I don't want to throw tonnes of money at it all at once.. Although the current mods that are coming up outweigh the cost over the car by double..

Taking the seats home so I can clean them

Excuse the poor lighting, it was getting late by the time we finished

Next up was to fix the cv joint. The boot was split and since this is part of roadworthy, and its a major pet peeve of mine. I hate working on a car with a split boot, the grease gets everywhere and eww..... After a search on the net my other half found me a cv joint and boot for... wait for it... $40 Shipped to my house... Thats why he is the wizz of parts finding.. I fitted it up, and if anyone is wanting a full write up on how to do this, the upcoming MCM mag will have a full DIY article on it (insider info for you all there).

It was quite an easy job that was made hard for no reason. The axel bolt was stuck in place (no biggy just needed lots of hitting and a big bar to get it off) and the worse bit was the lower ball joint refused to come loose. No amounts of hitting would free it.. I searched the internet and found a cleaver way to get it off. A power grinder adjuster tool (because it was just the right size) and a push on the hub and it came free. Happy days. Replaced the joint and boot and out it all back together. For a cheap joint, its amazing My old one wasn't noisy at all but the split boot drove me nuts, and since a boot was $10 less than a boot AND joint, I would be mad not to pay the extra $10 and get a new joint as well.

Super gross split cv boot.... yuck

Pretty new and clean

Now for the play time... I had planned on either a mini me swap or a B swap before I got the car (because I wanted something different) but it was a plan for 2 years time to be done... This wasn't the case at all. For valentines my partner got me an awesome present (cos he knows just how to make a girl happy), a JDM d16z6 vtec head... The head since its from a newer vehicle came with all the efi gear, this I didn't want..

I can hear you thinking how the hell is it going to run? well the fun part about my ed6 is its dual carbi. Vtec isn't just for efi engines and this was the perfect opportunity for me to utilize the d series engine that came stock as well as making something unique.

For now... this is all I'm going to put up for today... Since there is a lot of writing to read through, but the photos make it all the better... Expect a post tomorrow with more info and more photos I like to give you guys a teaser as to whats been going on but I like to make you all wait it out a little more before you see everything

All comments welcome.
    Jay
    GTAusMotive

2008 Honda Civic Type R, Honda Accord Euro CL9
    1991 Honda Civic Gli, 1977 Honda Civic 2 Speed Hondamatic Auto, Mini-Me Ed Civic

I was wondering when I'd finally see a build thread for this

Looking good so far Jay, it's a tidy little car.

Comment

loving this already man , so keen for more

gotta love previous owner dodgyness.....

Comment

Yeah Jenga its been a long time coming... Been busy then thought nah there isn't enough good stuff to show yet, then got busy again and then sat down and said, I'm writing this out now...

Its technically a 2 owner vehicle (before me) but the previous owner had only owned it for a few months before I got it, so really its more like a 1 owner. The last mechanics who worked on it were a little, dodgy you could say so there was times I was cursing them and wanted to ring up the shop and get a little angry at them. I can't stand dodgy work and its really not that hard to do right. Ah well that is life I guess and it will be good once I've made it to the car I want it to be
        Jay
        GTAusMotive

1991 Honda Civic Gli, 1977 Honda Civic 2 Speed Hondamatic Auto, Mini-Me Ed Civic

Comment

Really good to see that the project you've been planning for a while has finally started rolling along I'll put my R against Ed when he or she is ready good stuff Jay.
          http://codegen.tumblr.com

My Honda Integra Type R

I smoked your V8 and you called me a cheater? You're just mad you can't catch a 2 litre.

Originally posted by milkchicken
          Drive like everyone else out there is out to kill you

Comment

Be keeping an eye on this, love your work!
            sigpic

Comment

tidy little ED mate! Keep at it

p.s. thanks for the positive rep bro :P
              sigpic
              SLAYING THE COVENANT SINCE 2001

Check out my ute build here, from bogan BNS ute to mad 4x4

Originally posted by bassdee
              shaking worse than michael j fox on a paint mixer.
              Originally posted by Hound
              Yeah guuize, im in bed with my missus too.. Palmela Handerson and I are having a great time.

Comment

Thanks guys

I was lucky to find this little wonder on gumtree, right place right time I guess, and since it was cheap I couldn't pass it up. Always wanted a little mess around car and I'm planning on doing this more to a set budget, unlike the other cars.

Banana I'll race you're R... but you might need to give me a head start.. Ed although is light, is still a little slow... I expect it to out perform a Jazz, power to weight wise and maybe be on par with a stock eg/ek civic. Not looking for a beast of a car to race everyone but its a car I want to be able to jump in and just mess around in also going to see a couple of Track days as well.

Thanks Honkytonk... I like giving out rep as well when its due

Cal its completely stock interior at the moment. I want to put a wheel on it eventually since I'm not a massive fan of it but it does the job right now. A lot of the older cars around this time (late 80's) all looked very similar. I always liked the old corollas but since I prefer Honda it was an easy choice for me. I think everyone needs to own at least one old square shaped car in their life. Makes everything feel good. I know when I get back into the Accord after ed, I feel like I'm being flooded with technology (and it hasn't got that much).
                Last edited by milkchicken; 12-03-2013, 06:42 PM.
                Jay
                GTAusMotive

Comment

Originally posted by milkchicken View Post
                  Thanks guys
                  I expect it to out perform a Jazz.

Sounds like a Challenge to me............

Winton. It's on.
                  Now drives a girl's car
                  Originally posted by ThePossum
                  Furious masturbation, the cure to all life's problems, passes time nicely too.
                  Originally posted by Squirt
                  And BIGZED, phwoar. He is 1 cheeky kunt m8. I could easy wrek him 1v1.
                  Originally posted by LikeABoss
                  Welcome to the bogan side, heres your complimentary can of VB, a kick to mouth to remove most of your teeth and a makita angle grinder for that extra low.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGZED View Post
                    Sounds like a Challenge to me............

Winton. It's on.
                    Sure thing I'll show you the raw power of Carbi Vtec...... Will be an interesting battle though. I'm expecting around to a little more power than a stock Jazz but since its around 100kg less than a Jazz it should have a slight advantage. If I strip it out it should be less again. I look foward just to be able to open it up and see what it can really do... But first ed needs a new rack since its leaking... a little... and I need to stop complaining about it being hot and finishing off this vtec conversion because as it sits, the head is off, and I'm supporting the engine with a few blocks of wood lol...

Originally posted by Cal
                    how can people not love boxy shaped 80's era jap cars, such a raw driving experience
                    Raw is a good word... I feel very low and stripped back of anything technological in little ed... We have a EG that I drive every now and again but I feel a little more frightened in the ed since its got a manual gearbox and actually has some go to it, even before I've started modding it...
                    Jay
                    GTAusMotive

Comment

Oh its the way to do it, but I'm being lazy and its been sitting like this for a couple of days now... Since I have a hoist its all find since I can move it up and down as I like, but being lazy means it will sit like that until I realise I need the hoist again for something then I rush it.
                      Jay
                      GTAusMotive

Comment

all ways had a soft spot for ED civics, they remind me of a jap mini.

carbs on a vtec head, you have definitely got my attention now. what sort of carbs are you planning to run? twin webbers? i would suggest quad hs2's for something out of left field?
                        i like it loud <<-- my build thread '64 mini ... van

Comment

Yeah it is a little bit like a Japanese mini thats for sure. Its quite a cute car thats for sure.

For the moment, I'll be running stock carbs, since the over fuel quite bad, putting them on with the vtec head won't cause any problems, just have to sit there and tune them up. There is a few guys in the UK that have done it and never had a problem so that made me feel better. I'm also running on a smaller budget so for the moment I'm only putting on parts that are needed. After that though it will be something a little bigger, still keeping the dual carbs though as they look nice on there (I'm all for the looks). Something like webbers or if I'm really lucky, I may be able to find a set of Mugen Carbies, although thats a 1 in a million chance of happening but its a chance... Won't hold my breath for them though. If they come up in the next 6 months or so, when I'll be looking at upgrading then I'll get them, otherwise its either get larger jets on the stock ones, get something aftermarket like webbers or similar or change to something unique.
                          Jay
                          GTAusMotive

Comment

So jelly milkchicken I'm subbing to this
                            sigpic
                            My 1978 Honda Civic restore
                            http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...restore-upgade

Comment

What the......

Oh yea nice ride Milk

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD
                              Before MCM build thread
                              'Pajero 4WD Club' - 1985 NB SWB Carb to EFI conversion

MCM Build Threads
                              DrLui's 2001 Toyota Hilux SR5
                              1985 NB SWB with a TN Magna EFI conversion (soon MegaSquirt ECU and Turbo)
                              1990 Toyota Celica SX Track Car

sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6w3L8w5NyM

Comment

Working...
                              X