Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The mauswerkz 300zx EV build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will be interesting.... staying tuned!!

Comment

Will there be any other modification to the car except for engine and batteries, like weight reduction? Because stripping the interior and replacing body panels and windows with lightweight materials could benefit the mileage per charge as well as better acceleration and handling. Oh, and this will be a completely insane car when it is done, either way. MAAAAAAD.
      MCM Forum Discord server:
      https://discord.gg/xSy2yKFGPG

Opel Adam S 1.4 Turbo
      Nissan Skyline 25GT-T R34
      Yamaha XV950

(R-I-P) Ford Focus Mk1 TDDI Wagon
      (Sold) Skoda Rapid TDI
      (Sold) Yamaha FZS600 Fazer

Comment

this sounds awesome!
        Subbing
        1996 Mitsubishi FTO GPX Manual

Comment

Mad stuff going on here !

Comment

How long will the batteries take to recharge? That seems like one of the major problems with most electric cars.
            1982 Toyota Corolla KE70 - Build Thread
            2004 Subaru Liberty Sedan EJ25 5sp Manual - Current Daily Thread
            1994 Toyota Corolla Hatch Csi Ltd. 4AFE 4sp Auto - Sold 25/01/13
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kWatts View Post
              IIRC, he said 8KRPM redline
              and since torque is same everywhere, that engine makes something like

22kW = torque * 2 *pi*(8000rev/60s)

torque = 22 000W / (2pi(8000/60s)) = 837Nm of tq (=aprox. 620Lb-Ft, i think)

...If my calculations [^] and memory [8krpm] and predictions [same wound motor as Maus BMW] are correct and i haven't screwed up something, that car would be serious grenade.
              The actual values are 200kw at 7800rpm = 200,000 / (7800 * 2pi/60) = 245Nm of torque (184 ftlb). Not sure how you got 837Nm. Your numbers would yield only 26Nm.

Anyway, the torque isn't huge. This is an AC motor. If it were DC, it could be up around 400Nm. The electric drag cars use two DC motors end to end and get 800-1000Nm of torque. Pretty crazy, but this car won't be quite that nuts. ~250Nm at the motor in 1st gear should be enough to spin the tyres though ;-)

Originally posted by ThePotatoSmasher View Post
              How long will the batteries take to recharge? That seems like one of the major problems with most electric cars.
              This car's battery pack will be 21kWh. A normal 10a power point can output 2400W. The charger being installed in this car will output close to that much to the battery pack. So 21000kWh / 2400W = ~9hrs to charge if it were completely dead. Realistically, the battery will never be brought below 20% state of charge, so the most charge that would ever have to be put in to the car would be 16800kWh. This would take around 7hrs to fully charge. So it's a plug-in-over-night sort of deal. Most drivers in Sydney don't drive more than 130km in a day, so this would meet most people's needs most of the time.
              My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
              The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
              My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
              sigpic

Comment

This will still be easier than doing the cambelt... Le sigh.
                Who needs money when you can own a Zed?

Comment

This looks awesome, and I just realised where the thread subscription button is so this is my first. I know you don't even have the batteries yet but how long do you expect them to last as I'm guessing high discharge rates from the batteries would shorten their lifespan?

Comment

Just a thought for more mileage would using a hydrogen fuel cell be a feasible option or are they too expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by brookech View Post
                      Just a thought for more mileage would using a hydrogen fuel cell be a feasible option or are they too expensive?
                      Hydrogen is still a fairly experimental idea. Yes they have cars that do work with it, but the biggest problem that lies with hydrogen is it's very expensive to produce. In order for hydrogen cars to work the hydrogen has to be cooled to subzero temperatures so it liquefies. Cost involving transporting, storing, and once it's in the car of keeping it cool makes it an unfeasible prospect. Electric will be the way of the future. It is the only cost effective means at the moment. As time goes on technology will improve and one day we will tell stories of the MAAAD cars we used to drive and the awesome skids we did in cars powered by decayed plants and dinosaurs.

Comment

I think he means as in a hydrogen power cell? Not hydrogen combustion engine?

At any rate, the hydrogen combustion engine is just a grab to try and keep us dependant of the current infrastructure. Pure electric = no fuel stations, refinerys. Dramatic drop in maintenance costs of the vehicle as well as dependence on oil lubrication systems. Alot of powerful entities stand to loose alot of money, inc the goverment. this is why the production run of electric cars in california of the early 2000's was squashed on it's head. NOT because it was unfeasible, but because it was not profitable.
                        My "show" (wan|<) car:
                        http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Shandy View Post
                          This looks awesome, and I just realised where the thread subscription button is so this is my first. I know you don't even have the batteries yet but how long do you expect them to last as I'm guessing high discharge rates from the batteries would shorten their lifespan?
                          The discharge rates for most of the time will be well within the battery's normal limits. They should get at least 3000 usable "cycles". If the batteries were used up and recharged every day, this is over 8 years.

Originally posted by brookech View Post
                          They are very expensive, and the added weight and complexity of the hydrogen storage would be prohibitive. Also, there is no hydrogen infrastructure in Australia.
                          My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
                          The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
                          My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
                          sigpic

Comment

wow an electric car build! in to see results. good luck on the build
                            Previous: '96 Corolla
                            Current: '12 VW Golf 77TSI

Comment

Nice!! Cant wait to see it on the road again.

Comment

Originally posted by mauswerkz View Post
                                The actual values are 200kw at 7800rpm = 200,000 / (7800 * 2pi/60) = 245Nm of torque (184 ftlb). Not sure how you got 837Nm. Your numbers would yield only 26Nm.
                                ohwaitwhat! i misread that while being focused on numbers and swapped 200kW and 22kW for batteries! LOL
                                not matter what do i do with my results, if i do 20 000 / 7800*2pi/60, i get 81something Nm.
                                Damn MS calculator, whatever i type in even with those brackts, it shows wrong. Damn damn damn. [edit, must've had it on radians? :P no it was on degrees ._.]

[EDIT 2, 81something is not the final result, but 2*pi*7800/60 lol. Now we see, where i've messed up. Damn stupid thing doesn't automatically recalculate equation when you hit ending bracket...]

Beg me pardon

But the equation was right yeah?

Still, 250Nm will be a grenade! How much do you plan for it to totally weight?
                                Last edited by kWatts; 26-05-2013, 09:51 PM. Reason: Twinturbo free beer!
                                Originally posted by Antz007x
                                The Flying Dutchman is a legendary ghost car that can never go in the pits, doomed to drive the tracks of the world forever.
                                Originally posted by jmacman12
                                I love knifes c:
                                The only stuff that MCM hasn't concidered making is twin-turbo free beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X