Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The mauswerkz 300zx EV build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First test fit of the new motor in the engine bay.

The coupler on the shaft in the photo is an off-the-shelf 3-jaw industrial coupler which I won't be using in this conversion. I'll be shortening the shaft by about 30mm and machining a bore for a pilot bearing in the end of the motor shaft. This should take a total of around 40-45 mm off the length of the motor (and as a result, the transmission adapter). Following that, and adapter will be machined on which the flywheel and clutch assembly will mount. When the custom parts are done and installed on the motor, it will fit on the transmission exactly like the original engine did, only without a starter motor!

The motor mounts will be custom, likely made from laser cut metal plate bent and welded in to shape. It should be possible for each mount to be made from a single piece of steel (or aluminium). The lack of any heavy machining here will keep the cost down. The motor will sit on polyurethane bushings in the stock motor mount locations. This motor is a clever design which has relocatable "feet". This will make it easy to attach to the mounting points already cast in to the motor frame. The mounts will attach to the motor at the sides rather than the bottom. The feet shown in the photos will be removed.

This motor also has a "c-face" mount on the front of it. This is where the transmission adapter will attach. There is a raised lip which will ensure everything is properly centred.

I haven't decided yet how I'll mount the batteries that will be under the bonnet with the motor and controller. They will likely be above the motor just forward of the firewall. The controller will likely be "front and centre" just behind the radiator support. Power steering, aircon, water pump, etc will be hidden down low, probably near their stock locations.

An undertray will be installed to help keep the engine bay clean.
    My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
    The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
    My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
    sigpic

Comment

That motor looks tiny in there!
      1996 Mitsubishi FTO GPX Manual

Comment

One of the most annoying engine bays in history now becomes the most simple.
        sigpic

Comment

It doesn't look right, you can see the ground through it.
          Who needs money when you can own a Zed?

Comment

I have seen people use trailing arms to make engine mounts before. Makes it a bit easier and at the same time keeps a standard size bush that you can get as an off the shelf polyurethane replacement. Nothing to stop you from doing that as custom anyway, just choose a readily available bush from your fav/cheap to repair car. Easy.

Love the look of that motor sitting there, So alien.
            My "show" (wan|<) car:
            http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

Originally posted by karmot31 View Post
              One of the most annoying engine bays in history now becomes the most simple.
              The most annoying is the Subaru?

I still think it's really weird when you hear a car pass without any engine noise. Can't wait till this 300ZX is finished. Looking forward to videos of it
              Muscle and JDM don't go together..?

2004 Impreza WRX daily|2008 Mustang GT/CS trackcar
              Find more info here!

Originally posted by Kay
              Lot of people with quotes. I'll just make a quote of me quoting myself.

Comment

I think the car as a base for an EV is too heavy - you can get Daihatsu Charade's to the 2 tonne mark just with the electric engine and supporting equipment + 16 Optima Yellow tops - however best of luck to you.
                My 1992 SSS Pulsar Build: My love for Pulsars - The SR20VE 2.2L Big Bore N/A Build

Comment

Originally posted by Kay View Post
                  The most annoying is the Subaru?

I still think it's really weird when you hear a car pass without any engine noise. Can't wait till this 300ZX is finished. Looking forward to videos of it
                  its so simple tho
                  Originally posted by Turbo Yoda
                  TT's suck balls, go single and celebrate life.
                  Quoted for the Truth

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
                    I think the car as a base for an EV is too heavy - you can get Daihatsu Charade's to the 2 tonne mark just with the electric engine and supporting equipment + 16 Optima Yellow tops - however best of luck to you.
                    Which car would attract more attention? An electric Charade, or an electric 300zx? One of the main purposes of this conversion is to generate interest in EVs. A Charade just wouldn't accomplish that (I know, I have one of those too).

Also, 16 Optima batteries would weigh more than the lithiums that are going in to this anyway. Nobody uses lead acid batteries for EV conversions anymore.
                    My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
                    sigpic

Comment

Call me old fashioned but man it generated a-lot of interest back in the 90's when my dad did it to a Charade (among other things). Put 70,000km onto it using it as a Daily too and cost hardly anything to run per week compared to internal combustion cars. I know it wouldn't generate much interest in a sport / enthusiast economy but there's plenty of budget conscious people out there which that kind of thing could easily apply to these days I reckon, and I don't think too many people would be adverse to having a little electric bunky car.

Will admit that technology has come a long, long way since I was regularly involved in the EV scene though heh so guess the 300ZX is more viable than it would have been back then too. Things like using old Mercedes auto-door-closer vacuum pumps as the brake booster pump and custom flywheels and stuff were considered big custom work and rather in-genius back then, even more so when done in a street registered fashion.
                      My 1992 SSS Pulsar Build: My love for Pulsars - The SR20VE 2.2L Big Bore N/A Build

Comment

Hey Mauswerkz, apparently there's a company in the southern US that makes an electric BMW. They're called EV WEST. Their logo looked so similar to yours that I thought it was actually you.

They were featured on Drive.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVkJjt_Peg0
                        Does this raise any concern for you? Or am I just un-informed?

Cheers
                        sigpic

Comment

how much do you expect it to weigh with combustion engine out, batteries motor and other ev gear in?
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Jenga
                          I'll be quite confident that it'll flog the p*ss out of a lot of cars. This thought gives me happy feelings in my pants.

╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
                          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong N/A engine ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don't need no tarbo ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                          ╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Comment

Originally posted by rem View Post
                            Hey Mauswerkz, apparently there's a company in the southern US that makes an electric BMW. They're called EV WEST. Their logo looked so similar to yours that I thought it was actually you.

Does this raise any concern for you? Or am I just un-informed?
                            I'm familiar with their work. I'm not concerned. Our methods are different enough that I don't think we'll be competing in the same space.

Originally posted by Deigima View Post
                            how much do you expect it to weigh with combustion engine out, batteries motor and other ev gear in?
                            Should come to aroun 1700kg after the conversion. HEAVY car.
                            sigpic

Comment

mauswerkz! I registered on this forum to say hat's off to you for doing this conversion, excellent choice of car. It's good to see someone making an EV sports car, the fact it carries the Z badge just makes it even nicer

I have a few questions about the conversion.

1. The motor you are using has 48v / 200A written on it, which would add up to 9600 watts or 9.6kw, can you explain how you got to 200kw? I thought you would need to run coupled 9inch motors for that kind of power?

2. What type controller do you plan on using? Did you choose AC for something that was regen capable?

3. For the power steering, are you running it from the main motor or getting an electric pump?

4. What cell configuration have you used in your battery pack, and what sort of BMS does it come with?

1700kg's is going to be a tank to drive, can't wait to see the end result Good work!
                              VC SL/X, 910 Bluebird, TD Cortina Wagon, 280zx, (no license, no car) R33 GTS-T, V8 Soarer, TT Soarer, Suzuki Swift, Toyota Camry, TT Soarer, (no license, no car again....)

Comment

Originally posted by sid280 View Post
                                mauswerkz! I registered on this forum to say hat's off to you for doing this conversion, excellent choice of car. It's good to see someone making an EV sports car, the fact it carries the Z badge just makes it even nicer

I have a few questions about the conversion.

1. The motor you are using has 48v / 200A written on it, which would add up to 9600 watts or 9.6kw, can you explain how you got to 200kw? I thought you would need to run coupled 9inch motors for that kind of power?

2. What type controller do you plan on using? Did you choose AC for something that was regen capable?

3. For the power steering, are you running it from the main motor or getting an electric pump?

4. What cell configuration have you used in your battery pack, and what sort of BMS does it come with?

1700kg's is going to be a tank to drive, can't wait to see the end result Good work!
                                Welcome to the forum! To answer your questions:

1. The motor is rated to 48vac and 200A continuous. This rating is at 50Hz. The motor's V/Hz ratio is 48/50 = 0.96. It's a 4-pole motor so synchronous speed is 1500rpm. Peak torque on this motor should be around 250Nm (and somewhere around 600A). With my battery pack (364vdc), I'll be able to maintain constant V/Hz to 260Hz. This is 7800rpm (synchronous). Maintaining constant V/Hz means I can achieve the same torque at 260Hz as I could at 50Hz. 250Nm of torque at 7800rpm comes out to ~200kW. (7800rpm * (2pi/60))*250 = 204,204W.

2. I'm using an AC motor controller that I've been designing for the past several years. It's being built specifically for EV use. See the "technical progress" link in my signature for some (dated) details. More recent posts are on my Facebook page. I chose AC because these motors are very reliable, have low (no) maintenance requirements, and are capable of regenerative braking.

3. Power steering will be electric. It will either be a retrofitted pump from an Astra, and MR2, or an off-the-shelf electric power steering pump made specifically for EVs.

4. The battery pack in this car will be 114 cells in series. The cells are 60Ah CALB CA60FI LiFePO4 3.2v blocks and they're on their way from China as I type. BMS (Battery management system for those who don't know) is also my own design. I have beta tested a "first generation" version of it, identified a few areas for improvement, and am designing the new version which will be installed on this pack. The BMS allows cell-by-cell voltage and temperature sensing as well as shunts for top or bottom balancing. I'm currently working on a way to shunt relatively high currents in a manner which is fail-safe and results in minimal heat dissipation.

1700kg will be quite heavy, for sure, though I'm hoping I underestimated the weight of the engine and that we'll end up a bit lighter than that. I can't find any GVW numbers for this car, so I'm not sure what the limit is. GVW shows up on the data plate in the engine bay, but there is no number stamped next to it. Anybody have any references for this information?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X