Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The mauswerkz 300zx EV build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mauswerkz 300zx EV build!

Starting a thread for this car since my BMW 318is is on hold for the moment.

Here is the car I am converting:

1993 Nissan 300zx 2+2

Took it for a bit of a joyride to give the petrol engine one last good run in this car before beginning the process of pulling it out.

First, jack up your car.

Begin pulling off anything that won't be needed after the conversion. Air piping, exhaust, fuel tank, radiator...

Engine...

Keen eyes will spot Jmac on the crane in the above photo. He came all the way to Wollongong from Canada just to help me out! ;-)

So the engine is out and gone. The next step is to start taking measurements and designing the battery boxes, motor coupler, transmission adapter, motor mounts, and all the other little things that are needed for the conversion. But first, I might take it down off the jacks, roll it forward, and give the engine bay a good wash. It'll never be this easy to clean again.

Target specs, post conversion:
    130km to a charge
    0-100 in around 6 seconds
    200kW custom-wound industrial motor (already ordered)
    22kWh Lithium battery pack (already ordered)
    Stock manual transmission with clutch intact

Aiming to have it ready for rego around October, then I'll start on the BMW.
    My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
    The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
    My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
    sigpic

Electric 300zx? Maaaaaad!

Keeping a close eye on this one, keep up the good work.
    $900 Silvia? See it come together here~ Click!
    $0 SR20? [Featuring $400 Silvia] See it come together here~ Click!

Comment

The 300zx was my first JDM car. I can't wait to see what happens with this.

Bit confused with the manual though. Wouldn't a CVT be the transmission of choice for an EV?
      3.7L VQ37VHR Nissan 370z(The Raptor)
      5.7L LS1 VY Calais (The Brontosaurus) → FOR SALE ←

Comment

Originally posted by T-Rex57 View Post
        The 300zx was my first JDM car. I can't wait to see what happens with this.

Bit confused with the manual though. Wouldn't a CVT be the transmission of choice for an EV?
        Actually, the ideal transmission for an EV would be a single fixed gear reduction. This is what Tesla, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and pretty much every mass produced EV out there have. Doing the manual transmission to minimize custom fabrication required. Also, it's faster for the motor that's going in it.
        My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mauswerkz View Post
          Actually, the ideal transmission for an EV would be a single fixed gear reduction. This is what Tesla, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and pretty much every mass produced EV out there have. Doing the manual transmission to minimize custom fabrication required. Also, it's faster for the motor that's going in it.
          Ahh didn't know that. On second thought manual could be better, I forget that electric cars don't need to idle to keep an auto's hydraulic pump going.

Comment

Damn. This is going to be awesome

Have you got a rough time frame for completion? I'll have to talk to you about this tomorrow night...

Comment

VG20ET or VG30E /DE/DET?
              it is a v6 right?

This is going to be Mad. Kinda looking forward to see what you come up with!
              Will you be getting money of selling parts, or owner takes it all? Covering engine+battery pack with it?
              Originally posted by Antz007x
              The Flying Dutchman is a legendary ghost car that can never go in the pits, doomed to drive the tracks of the world forever.
              Originally posted by jmacman12
              I love knifes c:
              The only stuff that MCM hasn't concidered making is twin-turbo free beer.

Comment

This is going to be awesome =] I thought it was impossible to make a manual work with an electric motor though? Unless you plan of having it permanently/ [selecting gear before taking off] in one gear and changing the diff ratio to make it work?
                sigpic

Comment

Keeping a keen eye on this... Would love to see how it turns out and what it can do after...
                  RLD_evoIX you have good taste
                  Rodney is the name, Evo IX is the Dream

Comment

Subbed very interested to watch this one.
                    They told me I could be anything,
                    so I became a nugget.

I do Range Rover, Volvo, Peugeot and Jaguar parts for Sydney. I can also help with VW, Honda and BMW parts.

Comment

Not sure if jmacs gotten fat, or just a shitty picture :P

Looks like it will be an interesting project. Sure the Manual box/Diff can withstand the torque from the electric motor?
                      Now drives a girl's car
                      Originally posted by ThePossum
                      Furious masturbation, the cure to all life's problems, passes time nicely too.
                      Originally posted by Squirt
                      And BIGZED, phwoar. He is 1 cheeky kunt m8. I could easy wrek him 1v1.
                      Originally posted by LikeABoss
                      Welcome to the bogan side, heres your complimentary can of VB, a kick to mouth to remove most of your teeth and a makita angle grinder for that extra low.

Comment

Originally posted by karmot31 View Post
                        This is going to be awesome =] I thought it was impossible to make a manual work with an electric motor though? Unless you plan of having it permanently/ [selecting gear before taking off] in one gear and changing the diff ratio to make it work?
                        Gear will be selected before taking off, but there's no reason a manual transmission won't work during normal driving. The clutch will be used to change gears, but it won't be needed for starting or stopping. We got the NA version of the car because it comes with a higher final drive ratio for better acceleration.

Originally posted by kWatts View Post
                        VG20ET or VG30E /DE/DET?
                        it is a v6 right?

This is going to be Mad. Kinda looking forward to see what you come up with!
                        Will you be getting money of selling parts, or owner takes it all? Covering engine+battery pack with it?
                        It was a DE, whatever that means ;-)

Owner is selling it all. I won't be making any money from this conversion, but I DO get to use it as an R&D platform.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mauswerkz View Post

That, and a CVT would turn into a fkn bomb if you put 200kw of electric motor torque into it.

Subscribing and jealous.
                          Let me know if you need a hand for any of the.... interesting bits =P Though i'm sure you have got that sorted.

Respect.
                          My "show" (wan|<) car:
                          http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy2287 View Post
                            That, and a CVT would turn into a fkn bomb if you put 200kw of electric motor torque into it.

Subscribing and jealous.
                            Let me know if you need a hand for any of the.... interesting bits =P Though i'm sure you have got that sorted.

Respect.
                            Huh? KW isn't a measure of torque, and maus hasn't mentioned that figure. Also I've been it a 7L turbo diesel tractor with a CVT and that seemed fine. CVTs can be as tough as you want :-)

Comment

Originally posted by T-Rex57 View Post
                              Huh? KW isn't a measure of torque, and maus hasn't mentioned that figure.
                              In fact it is somehow.

Power = torque * angular speed

Angular speed [omega] = 2*pi*frequency
                              so if Maus uses calculations from his own motor (stored deeply in my memory)
                              IIRC, he said 8KRPM redline
                              and since torque is same everywhere, that engine makes something like

22kW = torque * 2 *pi*(8000rev/60s)

torque = 22 000W / (2pi(8000/60s)) = 837Nm of tq (=aprox. 620Lb-Ft, i think)

...If my calculations [^] and memory [8krpm] and predictions [same wound motor as Maus BMW] are correct and i haven't screwed up something, that car would be serious grenade.
                              Originally posted by Antz007x
                              The Flying Dutchman is a legendary ghost car that can never go in the pits, doomed to drive the tracks of the world forever.
                              I love knifes c:
                              The only stuff that MCM hasn't concidered making is twin-turbo free beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X