Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1965 MGB Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 MGB Roadster

Hey all.

My dad had this car for about 25 years, only stopped driving it at all in the last five. It wasn't a prime example of what an MGB could be, but hey, it worked.

After being neglected for a few years, I have now taken it over and bringing it back to a sastisfactory state to get registered.

The motor still worked and everything mechanically worked fine too. Only thing wrong was a snapped handbrake.

The main problem was cracked paint work, and rust in panels.

My friend and I started working on it after school finished last November, and have been chigging along stripping down, removing rust and reshaping the body.

From afar, it looks quite good to begin with.

But closer up you can see where there are crackes in the paint. Like around the door handle.

The front of the car had sustained some damage before hand, and the drivers side corner had caved in slighlty.

Chipping away revealed a fair chunk of rust. We ended up fibreglassing over some of the holes created by the rust.

More rust became apparent in more places too.

A common problem with MGB's was severe rust and cracking in the body work around the morror on ones with the side mirror on the door rather than up next to the bonnet like on british models.

Fibreglassed that up good, and now its perfect.

Engine is 1800cc. I'm very happy that it still works, i've no idea how to fix them.

Now after about 6 months of working on it, its been mostly primed and now just focusing on other sections of the car that need work, like rust in the cabin area.

Im looking to do some mods to the car, but still wanting to keep the classic british sportcar feel to it.
    One im thinking of is red interior LEDs for night cruising.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Work will most likely continue after ive written this assignment thats due in tomorrow

It should be a really chil first car.

Cheers guys.

I love MGBs, I recommend watching An MG is Born by mark evans, I believe its on youtube even.

Comment

Nice, MGB's are one of the best cars to restore as a hobby - plenty of knowledge and parts around for them, plus plenty of scope to modify and make a great restomod!

Depending on how you want to take the car, one thing I wanna get for my Charger is a Secret Audio head unit. They look like an old-school AM radio, but with flip down face panel for CD's/MP3 players and modern electronics...

Custom Autosound Manufacturing
      Understeer: When you hit the wall with the front of your car.
      Oversteer: When you hit the wall with the back of your car.
      Horsepower: How fast you're going when you hit the wall.
      Torque: How far you take the wall with you.

The Rebuild Begins...

Comment

Thats a great idea.

Alot of people too will mount the head unit in the glove box so its out of sight. I kept my original radio I just put the head unit on the bottom of my dashboard as the previous owner had already cut a hole and installed one before.

These secret audio units seem like a much better solution though.

Comment

I was definately thinking of some solution to the head unit problem, especially as the car wont always have the roof on. I just dont know whether to keep the old radio faceplate, or make a new one with just an MG badge on it.
          But then again, whether the music will be audible over the exhuast or not....

Comment

Originally posted by mutton_wizard View Post
            Thats a great idea.

Alot of people too will mount the head unit in the glove box so its out of sight. I kept my original radio I just put the head unit on the bottom of my dashboard as the previous owner had already cut a hole and installed one before.

These secret audio units seem like a much better solution though.
            I had a glovebox head unit in the mustang. It was good but you need a remote for it to comfortably change the song or turn up the radio on long trips. Thats all i found with it.
            Jay
            GTAusMotive

2008 Honda Civic Type R, Honda Accord Euro CL9
            1991 Honda Civic Gli, 1977 Honda Civic 2 Speed Hondamatic Auto, Mini-Me Ed Civic

Comment

drop the rover V8 into this... the hard top one of these had it as an option. ive worked on a few of these they are nice fun things to have. if i was you i would look at getting a axle set up from a slightly newer model as they had studs instead of the hammer on wheels, which makes for alot more wheel choices later on.

very nice restoration good to see some properly good work on it, the last one of these i drove was one that was getting ready for a restoration then the one before that we restored at the panel shop i was working at, and before that was another one at the panel shop but it was my bosses one. hahaha ive driven 2 of these sitting on milk crates.
              Qualified to do stuff!

Comment

for the head unit buy one with a removable face, use computer cable (the one with like 20 wires and is flat) and wire it up accordingly to the main box, then the front of the head unit that you detached and have a wire running to the main box you can hide in odd places, like in the door pockets or in a sun visor if you had one)

i know that a really poor explanation, but i have seen it done before and it is very stealthy.

Comment

Hey guys, I know that I'm posting in a rather old thread, but i thought I might as well show off the car now that it is finished (for the moment at least).
                  Only "mods" that I've done on it are things that make it safer/run better such as a new radiator and new seatbelts. But I do plan on still putting in some mood lights and a sound system, and I've got my Mighty Mods sticker ready to go.

Comment

Nice classic. Matches the MX5 in the background!

Comment

Nice. Looks like an awesome little cruiser.
                      |1971 Corvette, 365hp 454, TH400, PS, AC, T-tops|

Comment

looks great dude. paint job came out nice
                        sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

Originally posted by HeyCharger View Post
                          Nice, MGB's are one of the best cars to restore as a hobby - plenty of knowledge and parts around for them, plus plenty of scope to modify and make a great restomod!

Depending on how you want to take the car, one thing I wanna get for my Charger is a Secret Audio head unit. They look like an old-school AM radio, but with flip down face panel for CD's/MP3 players and modern electronics...

Custom Autosound Manufacturing
                          Hey just a heads up those head units for what ever reason don't want to play 320kbps files. So if you have mp3s of that quality expect the songs to jump and stutter, that and I cant find out how to use an ipod with the USB ports that some have. Other than that they are a pretty nifty piece.

Comment

Working...
                          X