Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mauswerkz's 1992 BMW 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my son said a guy at his work put in red ones and they're called devil eyes.
    IT'S NOT THE SPEED THAT KILLS, IT'S THE SUDDEN STOP.

Comment

The BMW is up on stands for a while. Last friday I had a mate over to give me a hand replacing both wheel bearings. We got the rear trailing arms removed and took them down to a shop. Got the bearing replaced on one but upon removing the bearing from the other (the one that was making noise) we found that the bearing had seized at some point and the hub was buggered as a result. BMW wanted $325 for a new hub and Autobarn was even more. So I've got a new hub on the way from the states and the car is off the road until it arrives.

As a plus, while the trailing arms are out, I've gone ahead and put in polyurethane bushings that I had ordered before. I'm looking forward to getting it all back together, getting a proper alignment, and hopefully enjoying a much more responsive and quiter ride.

I really need to finish sanding on the wheels while the car is down. Marty's painted wheels have inspired me to finally get around to doing my own.
      My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
      The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
      My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
      sigpic

Comment

Yep your wheels need completion - badly!!!
        Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

Saw your wheels at the meet and went: blegh
          Finish them ASAP.

Comment

Quick update: The car is very happy to have new rear wheel bearings and poly trailing arm bushings. It's so much quieter inside now! I also picked up a set of basic 15" stock rims to drive around on while the M3 ones get some work. They're very nice actually, and the tyres are practically new low rolling resistance Continentals. Nice score on the price too. Less than $200 for the set! The tyres alone are worth more than that, even used.

Spent the better part of today installing an alarm I bought for it months ago. It had been sitting on a shelf in my garage since then because I hate installing alarms. They're my least favourite thing to do to a car. The keyless entry is worth it in the end though. Luckily, just like my Astina, this one had an old alarm in it that had already been wired in, so installation wasn't as bad as it could have been. Did an easy mods to it as well, replaced the included blue LED with a green one, since my car will have a green lighting colour scheme after the conversion. I love the way it looks!
            My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
            sigpic

Comment

I get so excited when I see you've updated this it seems like it's coming along well
              Another Quality post from Hayden
              Have my P's, now what do I count down to?
              Originally posted by ADowbs
              In Volvo, we do trust.
              My Boat: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...s-BF-SR-Falcon

Comment

Originally posted by MausWerkz View Post
                Quick update: The car is very happy to have new rear wheel bearings and poly trailing arm bushings. It's so much quieter inside now! I also picked up a set of basic 15" stock rims to drive around on while the M3 ones get some work. They're very nice actually, and the tyres are practically new low rolling resistance Continentals. Nice score on the price too. Less than $200 for the set! The tyres alone are worth more than that, even used.

Spent the better part of today installing an alarm I bought for it months ago. It had been sitting on a shelf in my garage since then because I hate installing alarms. They're my least favourite thing to do to a car. The keyless entry is worth it in the end though. Luckily, just like my Astina, this one had an old alarm in it that had already been wired in, so installation wasn't as bad as it could have been. Did an easy mods to it as well, replaced the included blue LED with a green one, since my car will have a green lighting colour scheme after the conversion. I love the way it looks!
                It's amazing what a new wheel bearing does.

Alarms aren't that bad :P Though I'm in the same boat, I've got an alarm sitting around that i'll have to install when I get the chance. So if you hear me complaining about a b*tch of an alarm install, just laugh.

PS, your custom angel eyes - really good idea. I approve

Comment

Thats awesome! Lets finish your wheels
                  Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

Ordered a new motor for my Beemer today. The first big purchase of my upcoming swap!

Specs:
                    20kW continuous
                    70kW peak
                    90 volts ac @50Hz
                    270 volts ac @150Hz
                    250 Nm torque at 0 RPM
                    280+ Nm torque at 1700 RPM

75kg weight

Very excited
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow cool Looking forward to seeing the conversion done
                      1992 Mitsubishi magna

It not what you drive, it how you drive it

sigpic

Comment

Hey mate

In case you need some inspiration...

My dad converted two cars to full Electric setups, a Daihatsu Charade and a Mitsubishi Triton... the Charade was done back in the mid-late 90's and was a daily driver for a solid 8 years before he sold when he moved out to a regional area. The Triton he didn't finish, but the person who bought it off him got it finished... road legal 3.x sec 0-100 times in a 2000kg ute... with the same gear listed on the page below.

Charade: http://www.evalbum.com/153
                        Triton: http://www.evalbum.com/152

The Charade truly blew away all the cars you can get <$80,000 in terms of acceleration, it is a fond childhood memory haha.
                        jakeb
                        Frangipani
                        Last edited by jakeb; 17-09-2011, 02:10 AM.
                        My 1992 SSS Pulsar Build: My love for Pulsars - The SR20VE 2.2L Big Bore N/A Build

Comment

@jakeb: Very cool! Marty and I were lucky enough to get a ride in a Charade similar to that here in Sydney. That Triton looks crazy. Awesome stuff. DC motors are great for power.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MausWerkz View Post
                            @jakeb: Very cool! Marty and I were lucky enough to get a ride in a Charade similar to that here in Sydney. That Triton looks crazy. Awesome stuff. DC motors are great for power.
                            It may have been my Dad's Charade, the person who bought it lived over East haha.
                            My 1992 SSS Pulsar Build: My love for Pulsars - The SR20VE 2.2L Big Bore N/A Build

Comment

There is a lot of good thinking and engineering going on here. Good luck with the project!
                              |1971 Corvette, 365hp 454, TH400, PS, AC, T-tops|

Comment

sounds like an awsome project
                                My Toyota SECA
                                http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...Toyota-SECA-SX

Comment

Working...
                                X