Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mauswerkz's 1992 BMW 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing major to report. Finally found a white bonnet for my car. Replaced the one the previous owner painted black so they'd look like every other modded white E36 on the planet. It was cheaper to buy a new bonnet in white than it would have been to have mine repainted.

I MUCH prefer the look of it all one colour. Much cleaner. I can't wait to give the car a good wash and shine it up now that I feel like I can make it presentable. The colour isn't a perfect match, but it's not blatent either. Overall, better than black! Need to get around to refinishing my M3 wheels so I can get them back on there. Tired of rolling on 15's ;-)

The angel eyes don't look that blue in person either, they're quite white.
    My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
    The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
    My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
    sigpic

Comment

Didn't think a white bonnet would make much difference, but holy crap. Looks so much better. The whole car needs to go green now Look forward to EV testing!

Comment

Looks really good, possibly my favourite build on here just by knowing what's coming up.
        Another Quality post from Hayden
        Have my P's, now what do I count down to?
        Originally posted by ADowbs
        In Volvo, we do trust.
        My Boat: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...s-BF-SR-Falcon

Comment

nice one man, the new bonnet looks sweet.
          Qualified to do stuff!

Comment

Can't wait for the EV conversion!!!!! Nice to see someone doing something a little different than an engine swap or turbocharging etc......
            My mind chooses the Magna but my heart chooses the Skyline

Comment

Not a ton to report at the moment. I'm very glad this week is the last week of Uni for a while I should get quite a lot done over the summer break. For now, it's just a lot of math and planning. I've decided to retain the transmission afterall. The torque of the motor would have been enough to drive around with direct drive, but it would have had trouble climbing steep inclines. Considering that I want to be able to take this car anywhere you could drive a normal car, the transmission will be staying. This has the pleasant side effect of improving the performance of the car as well, at the cost of more complexity and weight. I plan to keep the clutch (many conversions go clutchless and just rev match) because I want to be able to do quick shifts and retain the feel of a normal car. I'll need a high performance clutch and a very light flywheel for best results. Estimates on torque produced by my motor are in the 250Nm range, so based on that, I put together a spreadsheet which takes motor torque, vehicle weight, rolling resistance, and air resistance (drag) into account and calculates the expected performance of my car after the conversion.

Key numbers:
              0-100kph: 8.2 seconds (10.1 seconds stock) (assuming 1/2 seconds for changing gears, which you can see in the graph. Faster shifts would make a big difference).
              1/4 mile: 15.9sec @ 140kph (17.5 seconds stock)
              Top speed: 170kph

These aren't race-car numbers by any means, but not bad for a battery powered BMW. The beauty of my spreadsheet is that I can predict what changes modifications will have on the performance. For example, removing 50kg from the car would take 0.3 seconds off my 0-100 time. Raising the "redline" of the motor from 165Hz to 200Hz takes 0.8 seconds off. That's massive! Unfortunately, raising the redline isn't as easy as tweaking software, it requires increasing the voltage of the battery pack. Regardless, it's a handy tool to have!

Anyway, my motor should be delivered on the 5th of November at which point I'll start constructing my motor dyno. Once I have some real numbers for torque, I can fine tune these calculations. My goal is to have my controller to the point where I am doing full-scale dyno testing by the end of the year. It's going to be close, but I should be able to pull it off. If i'm successful with that, then I can actually start on the conversion! Sadly, the owner of the place I'm renting has decided to sell so if I can't find a place with a garage that's willing to do a long lease, I may have to play it safe and hold off on the conversion for a while. Here's hoping it doesn't come to that.
              Last edited by mauswerkz; 23-10-2011, 10:25 PM.
              My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
              sigpic

Comment

the lights are amazing... good luck with the build!

Comment

As I type this, I have 3 hours remaining in this session of Uni (not including exams). Looking forward to having some TIME. This whole year has been a time-sink. If the owner of the place I'm renting hadn't decided to put the house on the market, I'd say to expect some progress on the car, but without being sure that I'll have somewhere to work on it for a while, i'm not going to start tearing into it. Luckily, progress can continue to be made on my controller in the mean time.
                  sigpic

Comment

Maus, I'm not quite sure how to contribute to this thread. I cannot think of a clever "one-liner" or any type of scientific praise directed to you because, as cliché as it sounds, I am in still in awe.

Seeing these promising figures and hopeful time period where you will be able to potentially work on the car(fingers crossed) is very exciting to say the least because conversions like this are as common as seeing a Ferarri 288 GTO cruising down your street; it happens, just rarely.

So, if I were to comment on this thread to mention anything, it would be that I am proud to see history in the making. Yes there are many electric conversions for cars out there, yes many people have electric cars, yes large companies are doing it too but provided the circumstance that surround your build, it is truly something else. You're one man, in a foreign country, without a garage, building an electric vehicle from the ground up with a sporty looking car; it's like the american dream meets captain planet. That's quite a feat if you ask me.

I like the fact that you are combining sportiness into your build as when the words electric and car are used in the same sentence, people think prius and uber slowness, whereas in reality the powerband is always at max, contradicting popular belief, provided the car is built "properly"

Jeremy Clarkson may be correct in saying that the idea of a sports car/super car as we know it, is a dying breed but I don't think that the proposed future is looking all that bad, provided we have visionaries like yourself leaded the way. I mean, if one man, without a garage can create an electric car with such good expected results on his own, I am optimistic to see what large companies will do with the electric car.

Keep it up Maus!!
                    sigpic
                    My 2008.5 Mazda Axela GT
                    Click here for the MCM Shop
                    Have you seen the MCM WIKI page? If not, click here!
                    "Limit's, like fears are often an illusion"
                    -Michael Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by jmacman12 View Post
                      (...) Keep it up Maus!!
                      Thanks! It's been a long time coming, and still a fair way into the future at this point, but things are moving at a pace that I am pleased with.

If I can change people's view of what an electric car is (slow, boring, ugly) and make something that the average person, the kind of people that watch MCM, would want to drive, then I'll have succeeded.

As you say, there are plenty of people out there who've built their own electric cars. My goal is to try to get the greater DIY modding community doing it too. The kind of people who like doing engine swaps and putting turbos on N/A engines already have the skills and resources, they just don't have the motivation or desire. I would really like show that it can be done, that it's fun, that you can drive it every day, and that it doesn't have to look like a pea-pod (or drive like one). It can be a proper nice car, and be electric at the same time.

As for the actual conversion of my car, I'm really looking forward to living this moment again:

Hopefully I'll get to drive the BMW further than two laps around the block. That's a story for another thread though. Maybe it could be the topic of my first blog entry.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ah, the first drive. The lack of engine noise is a truly weird thing.

I might have to consider building an EV as a future project, it's something a bit different to something like slapping a bigger turbo on an engine. Hopefully batteries will become much cheaper in the future, that's the only killer thing I see with electric vehicles at this point in time. But, that'll change.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this when it's finished.

Comment

Maus im assuming that your car has an m42 in it. If it does, i may like to buy it and some other stuff. Pm if you're interested
                          Originally posted by tekkentool
                          like this post? herpa derpa durr etc.

Comment

woa, sounds awesome. Im considering getting a 90s Beemer so this help a lot. By the way, where's the name from?

Comment

Originally posted by TomBrulinski View Post
                              By the way, where's the name from?
                              The name is a play on the stereotypical name that German tuning houses give themselves, and "maus" which is german for "mouse" and implies that the car will have a small carbon footprint after the electric conversion.
                              sigpic

Comment

The custom motor showed up last night. The specs on it have changed a bit, but it should make for a much faster car.

48vac @ 50Hz
                                I can run it up to 300Hz and maintain the volts/hertz ratio, meaning an ~8000rpm redline! If I can provide enough current, it should be able to put out 250Nm of torque over its entire RPM range. I can have it recongifured to 90vac if I need to though.

I haven't run it on the controller yet, hopefully I'll get to do that tonight after an exam.

I'll be painting it all green at some point to match the colour scheme I have planned for the car.
                                Last edited by mauswerkz; 09-11-2011, 10:17 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X