Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mauswerkz's 1992 BMW 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mauswerkz View Post
    The custom motor showed up last night. The specs on it have changed a bit, but it should make for a much faster car.

48vac @ 50Hz
    I can run it up to 300Hz and maintain the volts/hertz ratio, meaning an ~8000rpm redline! If I can provide enough current, it should be able to put out 250Nm of torque over its entire RPM range. I can have it recongifured to 90vac if I need to though.

I haven't run it on the controller yet, hopefully I'll get to do that tonight after an exam.

I'll be painting it all green at some point to match the colour scheme I have planned for the car.
    maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadd

don't forget this:

Originally posted by popsprocket View Post
    Green doesn't give power increases though.

Green only improves the coefficient of friction under light braking but makes no difference under heavy braking.
    Fuel efficient car with good steady braking!

I'm going to go out on a limb and mention that green adds 25 swag points to your ride, in fact I will tell everyone in the original thread hehe

With exams done I am eagerly awaiting sweet updates!!
    sigpic
    My 2008.5 Mazda Axela GT
    Click here for the MCM Shop
    Have you seen the MCM WIKI page? If not, click here!
    "Limit's, like fears are often an illusion"
    -Michael Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by jmacman12 View Post
      I'm going to go out on a limb and mention that green adds 25 swag points to your ride, in fact I will tell everyone in the original thread hehe

With exams done I am eagerly awaiting sweet updates!!
      Green is awesome! Not only goes it fit with an "eco-car", it's my favourite colour anyway. It's also used seldomly enough that it's still eye catching on the road among all the other hotted up cars.

Not done with exams yet. Just had my first one today. 1 down, 3 to go. I've got tomorrow off though so I'll be out there hammering away on it all day, or until I break something.

Managed to get it running on my controller tonight, which is exciting and scary at the same time. Any time I change something, I get nervous when I go to put the power on it. I've let a lot of smoke out over the years, but I'm finally getting to the point where it's happening less often ;-) The motor isn't running very smoothly at the moment. Going to play around with the code to see if I can smooth it out. Once it's presentable, I'll make a quick video and post it up.
      My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
      The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
      My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
      sigpic

Comment

More info on this M.
        My brain is ElECtRiCKIfFiED
        WHat is going on?
        My "show" (wan|<) car:
        http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

Replaced the guibo (donut) today. Was a pain in the neck (literally) but it really needed it. Check out the before and after pic! No more shuddering as I accelerate through 30kph and a much smooth feeling ride over all. I didn't realise my car vibrated so much before, but you really notice it when everything is nice and balanced.

My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
          sigpic

Comment

Hey man. One question, how did you make your own angel eyes....
            My mind chooses the Magna but my heart chooses the Skyline

Comment

Originally posted by Radz View Post
              Hey man. One question, how did you make your own angel eyes....
              I did it like in this video, but made it in 4 pieces per light instead of two. Wanted ( ) style rather than the nearly complete circle like in the video.
              sigpic

Comment

That was a cool instructional, I quite liked that!

and that black rubber thing? Is it some sort of coupling for the tailshaft to dampen out vibes? At first glance i thought it was a steering box coupling.
                Last edited by Crazy2287; 01-01-2012, 10:16 PM.
                My "show" (wan|<) car:
                http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

Nothing special, just a quick mobile phone pic of what my car looks like today.

Got centre caps for the wheels on the way. They're taking their sweet ass time getting here though. Been waiting nearly a month.
                  sigpic

Comment

cool your doing electric, i prefer gas myself, but at my tech school we have 3 electric vehicles we made, a vw vanagan, a dodge colt, and a mazda miata, all are clutchless stick shift, the vw will break the axles if you floor it, all street legal vehicles

Comment

Once my car is electric, I'll have to redo some of the gauges. Rather than slapping ugly rectangular digital or analog voltage and current gauges, I'll drive the stock instrument cluster with the new information. I'll need new scales on the gauge faces for it to make any sense, so I've obtained a spare cluster to play with. I removed the faces from this cluster, scanned them, broke all the elements out on their own layer in photoshop (which will make it easier to use the procedure described here for making custom faces). I've added the green arcs and changed the colour of the needles to green as well. The number and tick marks will light up white instead of the stock amber. I'm thinking I'll give it a shot on the current cluster with stock numbering and ranges, because it will look cool in the mean time and will be good practice.

Here's what I've got so far. It needs a lot of cleaning up, but it's the direction I think I'll go with it.

For the EV, the tachometer will go to 9000rpm (red line at 8000-8500). The fuel gauge will be a battery state of charge indicator. The temperature gauge will be an amp-meter. The fuel consumption gauge (which currently lives under the tachometer) will likely be replaced with an LCD to act as a trip computer and show other information as selected by the driver. Thinks like range, amp-hours, battery voltages/temperatures, fault/error messages, stuff like that.

If I don't end up putting an LCD there, the gauge will be an amp-meter and the temperature gauge will instead show motor/controller temperature (whichever is higher).
                      sigpic

Comment

Much respect for your EV build project Mauswerkz. I'm currently driving an iMiev as part of a work trial of the vehicles and I am absolutely loving it. Definitely cant wait to see more of your build as it progresses. :-)

Comment

great project mate, im liking the custom dash cluster
                          Mark
                          italian 100cc kart engine + 20,000 RPM......nuff said

Comment

Nice work dude, looks really good. In the past I looked around for a place that can print out gauge cluster backgrounds, but that guide is even better (cause it's DIY of course!).

I'm looking forward to seeing how your new cluster turns out...

Comment

Got some custom vinyls from ViralVinyls today. Stuck them on one of the rear side windows (MCM sticker is on the other side). Love it! Got the (mini, testing) battery pack, motors, and motor controller on the bench in the background too, you know, for artistic effect ;-)

Last edited by mauswerkz; 14-06-2012, 08:30 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Project is advancing nicely. Have you set and ETA on when you want the first 'phase' of construction done?
                                |1971 Corvette, 365hp 454, TH400, PS, AC, T-tops|

Comment

Working...
                                X