Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mauswerkz's 1992 BMW 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bad Bird View Post
    Project is advancing nicely. Have you set and ETA on when you want the first 'phase' of construction done?
    I hope to have the next major revision of the hardware for the controller done by the end of July. That will hopefully become the controller that makes it in to the car. As for the conversion itself, this coming summer is my work-experience summer, so I should be able to save a fair amount of money during that time. I expect that I'll have a working motor/controller combination by the end of that summer and the money will go towards my battery pack. In short, I'm shooting for the end of 2013 to have it on the road.
    My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
    The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
    My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
    sigpic

Comment

Stickers look good mate!
      Sure the green logo will match with the batteries =]

Originally posted by mauswerkz View Post
      Got some custom vinyls from ViralVinyls today. Stuck them on one of the rear side windows (MCM sticker is on the other side). Love it! Got the (mini, testing) battery pack, motors, and motor controller on the bench in the background too, you know, for artistic effect ;-)

I make vinyl stickers!
      PM me for details
      Or Click here to visit my Facebook page

Originally posted by jmacman12
      Some say that his skin glows in the dark, because it's been vinyl wrapped and that his hands adhere to anything. All we know is that he's called the sticker stig!

Comment

Got my tax refund today, spent it on a set of King "Low" springs for my car. The coilovers aren't bad, but they're way too stiff for my tastes and I'm not running low enough to need them. So I'm ditching them for some proper springs. Will replace the shocks after I sell the coilovers.

The original reason for buying the coilovers was to be able to easily compensate for the added weight of batteries after my EV conversion, but after some more research, that will likely not be necessary. Also, these things are so stiff that the batteries would be jolted around every time I hit a bump. Do not want.

So yeah, looking forward to a bit more comfy ride!
        My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
        sigpic

Comment

King springs have been installed. The ride height is about the same as where I had it set with the coilovers (perhaps a bit higher), but the ride is much better now. I'm hoping they'll settle in a bit lower, but if they don't, I'm happy with the height anyway. The rear is still a bit stiff for my tastes, but that's likely due to the fact that I've left the shocks that came matched to the coilovers on the rear, and they're pretty stiff. I'll buy a set of stock shocks and throw those on soon. The fronts went on a set of old OEM struts, so I'm sure they won't last long either (if they're any good to begin with). I'm looking forward to a smoother commute!
          sigpic

Comment

Sounds good! Can't wait until its an EV, might actually force me off my ass and down to Sydney for a meet.

Comment

Got in my car last night to do a late-night macca's run and it wouldn't start. Cranked over fine, but no kick. Gave up and decided to tackle the problem this morning. After a bit of searching, I found I wasn't getting spark. Some poking around at relays with my multimeter showed 8.5v with the ignition on, and 12 with it off. That's a sure sign there's a high resistance connection somewhere. I followed the line back up to the jump-start terminal/distribution block under the bonnet and this is what I found when I opened it:

Looks like a bit of corrosion started, which causes a high resistance connection. High resistance means heat, heat accelerates corrosion. It's a vicious cycle. Took it all apart, cleaned the terminals, applied some electrical water displacer/lube, and re-assmbled it. Reconnected the battery and it cranked over on the first turn. It also idles better and runs smoother than it had been recently as well. I'm hoping the drop in fuel economy I've seen lately was caused by this too! Amazing what a different having the proper voltage at the ECU can make ;-)
              sigpic

Comment

I'm going to have to keep an eye on this. I've had the idea of a small diesel-electric truck in my mind for a while now. This electric car stuff use to make laugh but now It's starting to look rather interesting.

Comment

I've spent quite a while trying to track down a clunking at the rear of this car. I've gradually replaced most of the rear suspension and still no luck. Today, I swapped out the rear control arms. I had no idea mine were bad until I compared them next to the replacements:

Holy crap! The one on top is the replacement, the one on the bottom is the one out of my car. Both of the ones I removed were like that.

I knew the previous owner wanted this car to be a drift machine, but damn. He must have sucked at it. Take this as a lesson folks, don't buy a car that's been thrashed!

I had a good look around while I was under there but couldn't find any more obvious damage.

I also replaced the ball joints on the front control arms, since there was a clunk up there too.

Results: Front clunk is fixed, rear clunk is unchanged.
                  sigpic

Comment

Bloody hell!

love watching this build. Definitely one of the most interesting on MCM!

Now we just need to organise the MCM bike crew to cruise somewhere!
                    Originally posted by MOOG
                    Cars, motorbikes and photography. We like you already
                    Originally posted by MOOG
                    Hopko knows what he's talking about. Listen to him and success will be yours!
                    Originally posted by Rosey
                    Give it time. Hopko always delivers the hot girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopko View Post
                      Now we just need to organise the MCM bike crew to cruise somewhere!
                      Agreed! Shame Marty and Moog don't have their bikes anymore.

Also, nothing interesting has happened in this thread yet, but if I have my way, that'll start changing around April-May. Fingers crossed!
                      sigpic

Comment

The car looks awesome, love the angel eyes. Would love to do that for my next car with maybe some multi-coloured LEDs or something.
                        Jeep XJ Build Album - The Jeep in Action.
                        Nissan Stagea 25X. - Thread

Comment

Originally posted by theferris View Post
                          The car looks awesome, love the angel eyes. Would love to do that for my next car with maybe some multi-coloured LEDs or something.
                          Yeah, you can do RGB LEDs and change to whatever colour you want. Personally, I'd just pick a colour and stick with it. When I made mine, I play with putting a white LED in one side and a green LED in the other. It looked really cool, but I was worried about police. I'm planning on having white/green LED accents in various places on/in the car after the conversion, but I'll be able to turn them on and off as I please.

Other progress on the car.... nothing really. I've just been driving it. I'm working full-time over summer as part of my engineering degree, so I haven't had the time to do anything. I've been putting in a couple hours here and there on the motor controller, and I'm making good progress. I've also been saving money. If things keep going as they are, I'll be starting the EV conversion in April when rego runs out! *fingers crossed*
                          sigpic

Comment

One of the biggest, most ambitious projects I've seen on here. Can't wait to see the final project, couldn't imagine how an EV E36 would drive. Will defiantly be following. Good Luck with the project
                            http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...psb544bf0a.jpgCheck out my thread for my first car E36 BMW 318i - http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...33-My-BMW-318i

Comment

this is awesome cant wait to c the result man good luck
                              The Bommadore ute
                              http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ommadore-ute-)
                              Strayan Drift Wagon
                              http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...an-drift-car-)
                              note the burnout shown in avatar was done in a safe controlled enviroment

Comment

This build looks very interesting!
                                Can't wait to see it getting converted

Does anybody have a copy of the guide to create the custom gauges?
                                It's been pulled off the website
                                1996 Mitsubishi FTO GPX Manual

Comment

Working...
                                X