Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mauswerkz's 1992 BMW 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Technikhaus View Post
    Does anybody have a copy of the guide to create the custom gauges?
    It's been pulled off the website
    http://web.archive.org/web/201005151...ods/gauges.php

Save the page while you still can.
    My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
    The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
    My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
    sigpic

Comment

A nice touch of a BMW, i love what's going on here. Why doing it *after* rego runs out? And how do you keep rego while its electric? Registered as ... gasoline car?
      Originally posted by Antz007x
      The Flying Dutchman is a legendary ghost car that can never go in the pits, doomed to drive the tracks of the world forever.
      Originally posted by jmacman12
      I love knifes c:
      The only stuff that MCM hasn't concidered making is twin-turbo free beer.

Comment

Originally posted by kWatts View Post
        A nice touch of a BMW, i love what's going on here. Why doing it *after* rego runs out? And how do you keep rego while its electric? Registered as ... gasoline car?
        Since the conversion is considered an engine swap, it'll need a blue slip after I'm done anyway. I'll let the rego run out and wait until the conversion is done to get new rego, saving me the money of rego'ing a car that won't be driven for several months. Once the conversion is done and the engineering certificate is issued, it'll be registered as an electric car.
        My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, i have to admit, i never was and probably will never be a BMW Fan, but your'es does really look nice.

Also, it seems that the reputation of EV Cars differ from country to country. Here in Germany, EV's aren't slow in acceleration, but most of them top out at about 160-170 km/h and in germany nearly everybody is driving that speed (sort of) on a daily basis, they are expensive, you'll never going to get 1200 km out of one Battery Charge with a decent sized car and driving on long trips with an average speed of probably 150-180 km/h (the Mercedes C220CDI of a friend of mine, does exactly that. 1200 km on one tank with an average speed of 150-160 km/h). And on top of all that, they are absolutly not environmental friendly.

I hate to be that guy, but every time i hear something about EV Cars, i aks myself: Why?

Yes, if you're just looking at the environmental footprint driving the car with clean and renewable energy, they are pretty much perfect.

But it seems to me nobody is looking at the environmental "costs", regarding the batterys, inverters, chips and so on, because alone with the cost of a big lithium battery, you could drive and service an old car with a big v8 probably another 15-20 years.
          Yes, i know, thats not really the point of an EV Car, but that whole discussion about EV Cars is just incomplete without that...

Anyway, BTT:

Thats a really nice and very clean build you're doing, keep up the great work!

Comment

Well i had to look that up but omg go the diesel!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9-n6qu8SwI

We are running out of fossil fuel, people need to pioneer alternate methods.
            remembering too the petrol car has had out society by the nuts since 1885. over 100 years of development.
            The electric car got pushed under the rugs as not enough people make enough money out of the principal. The technology behind it has seen hardly any progression and meanwhile auto company are persevering with a focus on what keeps them in business. Once EV's get some time to mature i think they will be the flavor for the common commuter.

And M.
            Wheres the updates?!? Thread needs EV burnouts.
            My "show" (wan|<) car:
            http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

I bow down to you sir! You are a genius!
              sigpic
              _'03 Mazda 323 Astina Shades __________________________________________________ ________NG Images - My Facebook Page

Comment

Awesome conversion. I kind of hope that one day in the future I'll be able to drive any old car into a shop and get a hydrogen electric conversion done.
                3.7L VQ37VHR Nissan 370z(The Raptor)
                5.7L LS1 VY Calais (The Brontosaurus) → FOR SALE ←

Comment

Heh, i've came up to Rimac (croatian guy) who does electric cars, guess what, his first electro was BMW too!
                  http://www.rimac-automobili.com/eval...hicle/intro-11 - google for Rimac BMW, he's everywhere, snow drift, normal drift, drag strip, gosh i wish you had same technology :P

Starting with conversion anytime soon, or something broke in your timeplans?
                  Originally posted by Antz007x
                  The Flying Dutchman is a legendary ghost car that can never go in the pits, doomed to drive the tracks of the world forever.
                  Originally posted by jmacman12
                  I love knifes c:
                  The only stuff that MCM hasn't concidered making is twin-turbo free beer.

Comment

That green e30 EV BMW is pure sex. I love it. Seen it all over the EV scene, it's very nicely done.

The conversion is on track to start when the current rego runs out in April. The only thing that might postpone it is if I end up doing a conversion on somebody else's car instead. We'll see what happens.
                    sigpic

Comment

That is impressive! Love to have a drive of that!
                      My "show" (wan|<) car:
                      http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

will it drift..? If so will it be the first drifting EV? Really enjoyed reading this thread, cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Dunks View Post
                          will it drift..? If so will it be the first drifting EV? Really enjoyed reading this thread, cheers!
                          It very likely will. Dunno if it'll be the first though.

It's official though, my conversion is on hold for a bit. Gotta save up more money (my summer job didn't end up being as lucrative as I'd planned, and uni is about to start again). Development on the components will continue though, and I'll continue to update this thread.
                          sigpic

Comment

God dammit want this car so much!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                            sigpic

First car I'm aiming to buy: BMW 318is e36 1996

Comment

Such a awkward project i have to say, but it's still very interesting, do you think you will manage to generate some good hp to still have fun with it? Same hp has it was stock fuel? It's a really interesting ideia, not so affordable trough but if you can pay such costs go for it, it sure will be one of a kind

Comment

Originally posted by Narciso View Post
                                Such a awkward project i have to say, but it's still very interesting, do you think you will manage to generate some good hp to still have fun with it? Same hp has it was stock fuel? It's a really interesting ideia, not so affordable trough but if you can pay such costs go for it, it sure will be one of a kind
                                Considering that it's currently a stock 318is, it will significantly faster after the conversion. My current predictions (calculated, not guessed at) are 0-100 around 5.5s, so M3 territory. It'll be quite fun to drive, yes :-)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X