Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mauswerkz's 1992 BMW 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marty View Post
    wakefield!! that sounds fun
    Should be good. My first track day ever! I'll be swapping keys with some friends. One car I'll have a go at is a mate's AW11 supercharged MR2. My BMW will seem boring after that.
    My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
    The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
    My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
    sigpic

Comment

• Totally gonna crash your Wakefield party =P

Sway bar link bushes with the neck cut off, I like your style.

Swapping keys sounds fun, But don't you get worried that if it's gonna break it will be when YOUR driving it?
      My "show" (wan|<) car:
      http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

• Had a blast at Wakefield Park yesterday, except that my engine is f*CKed now! $480 tow from Goulburn to Wollongong. Ouch!

Got a bearing rattle at certain RPMs, mostly when the engine is transissioning from accelerating to coasting, or when coasting with just enough throttle for the engine to not be doing any work. I'm assuming this is a rod big-end bearing. That sound right to folks on here? I pulled off on the same lap that I started hearing the noise, so it shouldn't have done too much damage.

I've done some reading online and it looks like it's possible to replace the conrod big-end bearings without removing the engine from the car. Just drop the subframe and steering rack, remove the oil pan, and do the replacement from under the car. It's a big job, but not as big as removing and reinstalling or replacing the engine. Replacing the bearings is my current plan, but I'm also tempted to take this as an opportunity to set the BMW aside in preparation for its EV conversion and buy something else to drive around for a while. The problem with that is that the BMW conversion isn't likely to start until early next year at the soonest. That's a long time to have a non-driveable car parked on the street, and the cost of buying a second car will pull money from my EV savings (though I'll have to do it once I start the conversion anyway).

Thoughts?
        My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
        sigpic

Comment

• Oh nooooooo.. yea I'd say have an attempt at fixing the bearing.. I know a couple of mates who may be able to shed some light on your questions about the bearing if it needs the engine out or not. Can ask if you want?

Comment

• My way of thinking is if you repair It you still have a saleable engine for when you do you ev conversion rather than what is essentialy a non running re-buildable engine an probably worth jack
            Last edited by Thom; 21-08-2013, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Maus, you should get an AW11. With a supercharger and Nevo pulley. I hear they're good fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by blade888 View Post
                Oh nooooooo.. yea I'd say have an attempt at fixing the bearing.. I know a couple of mates who may be able to shed some light on your questions about the bearing if it needs the engine out or not. Can ask if you want?
                Thanks Nick. Don't worry about it, see below.

Originally posted by Thom View Post
                My way of thinking is if you repair It you still have a saleable engine for when you do you ev conversion rather than what is essentialy a non running re-buildable engine an probably worth jack
                Thanks guys. I ordered the parts today. Total bill including shipping and some non-related parts (spare oem guibo incase my custom one fails, new thermostat, gaskets) was less than AU$300 all up.

Judging from this how-to article I should be able to do the work in a day assuming all the parts are correct. I couldn't really afford to pull the engine apart to check for oversized bearings before ordering them. The 300zx is taking my side of the garage so when I do work like this on my car, it displaces my flat mate's car for a while. He's accommodating, but only to a point (understandable).
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by screencheetah View Post
                  Maus, you should get an AW11. With a supercharger and Nevo pulley. I hear they're good fun.
                  You selling one? ;-)
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mauswerkz View Post
                    You selling one? ;-)
                    Nah, sorry mate, I just sold my last one to a friend who said he was going to Wakefield Park on Tuesday. What a coincidence!

Comment

• Originally posted by screencheetah View Post
                      Nah, sorry mate, I just sold my last one to a friend who said he was going to Wakefield Park on Tuesday. What a coincidence!
                      Seriously though. Had a go in it. What a beast! I can see why you had a hard time letting it go.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mauswerkz View Post
                        Seriously though. Had a go in it. What a beast! I can see why you had a hard time letting it go.
                        Yeah, for sure. Still, I'm hoping its new owner can do some good with it.

Fingers crossed your bearing replacement works out!

Comment

• Jelly.

Good luck with the bearing M.
                          Do you know the cause? didn't have an oil starve issue did you?

(PS, i dropped that drawing at the machine shop day before yesterday. I'll give him a ring tomorrow, was expecting to have heard form him by now.)
                          My "show" (wan|<) car:
                          http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ing-(Car)Build.

Comment

Working...
                          X