Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mauswerkz's 1992 BMW 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mauswerkz's 1992 BMW 318is

Hey guys.

As parts are starting to show up, I figured I might as well start a build thread for my bimmer.

First, some photos how it sits now. I bought it like this. The previous owners had put lowered springs on it (leaving the OEM shocks). They also put oil pressure, oil temp, and boost gauges in. Don't get your hopes up, it's naturally aspirated. (Yes the boost gauge only shows vacuum). It has genuine BMW M3 wheels which have (sadly) been painted black along with the bonnet. Luckily, the rest of the car was resprayed to the stock Alpine white at the same time, so it's very clean and straight.

I installed the stereo (JVC KD-BT1, Response 6.5" Kevlar splits, Response 6x9" kevlar coaxials, sony 75x2w amp on the 6x9s). Will get a sensible subwoofer to finish up the stereo someday.

So much of my effort to start with for this car will be into restyling it to fit my own tastes, as well as prep it for its future mods (more on that later).

I'll be refinishing the wheels (back to stock silver) and repainting the bonnet to the stock Alpine white. I'll also paint the calipers green, because white and green are sexy together.

In addition to those plans, I also want to raise it back up at bit. I like it low, but it's a bit too "gangster" low for me. Thankfully, these showed up today:

Don't ask what brand they are, they're cheap-ass eBay generics. They've recieved good reviews from the (many) folks who've installed them, so I'm hopeful. I'll shoot for stock M3 ride height, maybe a bit lower. If they turn out to be junk, I'll buy some spring spacers and put the lowering springs I've got back on (at least they ride nice) with 1cm or so more ride height.

If you've followed me at all on the forums, you probably know that I'm planning on converting this BMW into an electric car.

The controller is under development, and I'm making good progress on it. I'm hoping to get it to the point where I can do some medium scale testing on it by the end of July (uni break). More on that as it develops. I figure the EV conversion is still a couple years off at best. It'll depend on funding more than anything else.

Other long term plans for it:
    Re-upholstered interior with charcoal alcantera and dark green inlays/trim.
    Blocked off radiator openings for extended range on batteries (retain stock look by using black material for blocking off).
    Full LED/HID lighting conversion (to save electricity).
    Back seat delete (that's where the batteries will go, no compromise on boot space) (still deciding on this).
    Custom LED "angel eyes" (my own variation, made from scratch).
    Custom carputer with data logging, EV system monitoring/configuration/display, navigation, and entertainment.

The goal is to make an electric car with decent range (budget restraints limit me to about 70km range for now). I plan to use it as a daily driver, a test/development bed for my controll and other EV products, as well as a car that will turn heads and get people asking questions. I'd like to change the way people think about electric cars. I want it to be a car that people will look at and go "I'd drive that", even after finding out it's powered by batteries.

Electric cars suffer from a stigma that they're slow, tiny cars that have that "green car" look (think Prius or Insight).

Anyway, I could rant about EV's forever.

So that's my car and what I've got in store for it. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by mauswerkz; 09-11-2011, 11:04 AM. Reason: lowercase "m" in mauswerkz
    My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
    The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
    My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
    sigpic

I have seen and followed a EV Toyota Echo it went fast and look good So they are good cars only problem is the range and how they are charged. You could rework a industrial VSD and use a small three phase motor Seemed to work for a guy who did a toyota hilux
    1992 Mitsubishi magna

It not what you drive, it how you drive it

sigpic

Comment

Why must people ruin nice cars? You've got the right idea though, I can't wait for things to start happening testing-wise. Its going to be awesome! Any plans to maybe take it to AutoSalon once its completed, maybe get featured in some magazines for your awesomeness? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkington View Post
        I have seen and followed a EV Toyota Echo it went fast and look good So they are good cars only problem is the range and how they are charged. You could rework a industrial VSD and use a small three phase motor Seemed to work for a guy who did a toyota hilux
        Yeah, I know that Hilux. I almost bought it actually (It went for around $4000 with a dead battery pack recently). My controller is basically a VSD/VFD optimised for use in electric vehicle conversions and integrating other EV-specific features that industrial drives don't have/need.

Originally posted by Rosey View Post
        Why must people ruin nice cars? You've got the right idea though, I can't wait for things to start happening testing-wise. Its going to be awesome! Any plans to maybe take it to AutoSalon once its completed, maybe get featured in some magazines for your awesomeness? :P
        I would love to take it to some car shows. That's always been part of my plan as it would be excellent exposure for me and a great awareness thing for the car community. Also, I think getting it on a dyno would get some attention as well. Problems is I'd have to trailer it anywhere beyond a 70km radius (unless I had somewhere to charge it overnight on the way) ;-)

Yeah, that's a major shortcoming of EVs. My battery pack will be a relatively small one though and that's the major limit to range. If I spent twice as much on the battery pack, I'd get somewhere around 150km range, but then the battery pack would cost $14000 instead of "only" $7000.
        My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
        sigpic

Comment

I am really excited to see how you go with all this I am normally a ah.. electric vehicle disliker, but i actually like your ideas, its the whole electric cars have to be tiny and ugly thing.. please keep us posted on this. I always like seeing your projects
          Jay
          GTAusMotive

2008 Honda Civic Type R, Honda Accord Euro CL9
          1991 Honda Civic Gli, 1977 Honda Civic 2 Speed Hondamatic Auto, Mini-Me Ed Civic

Comment

that would be awesome go door knocking on people doors ask to borrow some electricity I'm sold on some points of EV cars but not all of them.

Charging a EV car is a pain, and it range is general limited.

I prefer a car that uses a bio fuel

Good luck on your project Can't wait to see the process done
            Last edited by Sparkington; 26-05-2011, 03:26 AM.
            1992 Mitsubishi magna

sigpic

Comment

Considered putting a solar panel of sorts on the roof to draw in some extra energy to power the car longer, or maybe something on the axle to charge the batteries a bit while the wheels are spinning? This would probably cost a lot more than you're willing to spend, but perhaps something for if you get famous or something. :P

Oh and on a side note.. Couldn't help but notice on your website, down the bottom it says "Corportate" or something, instead of Corporate. Just a little heads up.

Comment

Considered putting a solar panel of sorts on the roof to draw in some extra energy to power the car longer, or maybe something on the axle to charge the batteries a bit while the wheels are spinning? This would probably cost a lot more than you're willing to spend, but perhaps something for if you get famous or something. :P

Oh and on a side note.. Couldn't help but notice on your website, down the bottom it says "Corportate" or something, instead of Corporate. Just a little heads up.
                3-phase speed controllers have regenerative braking automatically, no extra cost (or generators) required. Solar panels that would fit on a car don't put out enough power to make a difference on a practical EV

Are you referring to my copyrite notice at the bottom of that page?
                Last edited by mauswerkz; 26-05-2011, 03:56 AM. Reason: added note about solar
                sigpic

Comment

The rest of the parts I was waiting on to install my coilovers arrived today. Meyle shock/strut mounts all around, and rear shock mount reinforcing plates to prevent the stiffer shocks from damaging the mounting point (common problem on these cars). These will probably be going in Thursday!

I already put the rear springs and adjusters in over this past weekend, since I didn't need any other parts to do them. Currently, the ride height is set at 1cm ABOVE stock in the rear. That only because I didn't know where to start so I just picked a position. Will set it all to stock M3 (sport suspension) ride height once it's all on there. Should give me the balance between ride height and looks that I want. It should also allow me to get a proper alignment when it's all done. Will set the ride height there and never touch it again (at least until I start loading batteries into the thing).
                  sigpic

Comment

Sounds good man. How's the EV stuff going in the meantime?

Comment

Sounds good man. How's the EV stuff going in the meantime?
                      Waiting for this session of Uni to be over before really diving back into that. Luckily, this is the last week of the session. I plan to have a controller ready for some medium-scale testing by the end of July.
                      sigpic

Comment

Got these babies in today:

Ride height set to M3 sport OEM specs. I like the height, but holy crap are these things stiff!

Looking forward to getting it on a track, even though it's only a 1.8L.
                        sigpic

Comment

Over the last couple of days, I made my own custom angel eyes for my BMW. I didn't like how the halos on the market look on the E36, so I came up with my own version which I think fits the car a lot better than circles do. What do you guy think?

Last edited by mauswerkz; 19-08-2011, 07:30 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Pictures dont work mate
                            1992 Mitsubishi magna

sigpic

Comment

There is on picture and I can see it.

I reckon the lights would look better if they were like 4300K?
                              Originally posted by djzayas
                              I picked Up a cleen stock as a rock s14 from a old grandma the other week
                              Originally posted by NL_Taylor
                              what did she upgrade to ? a GT-r ?
                              My N14 SSS

Comment

Working...
                              X