Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mauswerkz's 1992 BMW 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy2287
    replied
    Jelly.

Good luck with the bearing M.
    Do you know the cause? didn't have an oil starve issue did you?

(PS, i dropped that drawing at the machine shop day before yesterday. I'll give him a ring tomorrow, was expecting to have heard form him by now.)

Leave a comment:

• screencheetah
    replied
    Originally posted by mauswerkz View Post
    Seriously though. Had a go in it. What a beast! I can see why you had a hard time letting it go.
    Yeah, for sure. Still, I'm hoping its new owner can do some good with it.

Fingers crossed your bearing replacement works out!

Leave a comment:

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Originally posted by screencheetah View Post
    Nah, sorry mate, I just sold my last one to a friend who said he was going to Wakefield Park on Tuesday. What a coincidence!
    Seriously though. Had a go in it. What a beast! I can see why you had a hard time letting it go.

Leave a comment:

• screencheetah
    replied
    Originally posted by mauswerkz View Post
    You selling one? ;-)
    Nah, sorry mate, I just sold my last one to a friend who said he was going to Wakefield Park on Tuesday. What a coincidence!

Leave a comment:

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Originally posted by screencheetah View Post
    Maus, you should get an AW11. With a supercharger and Nevo pulley. I hear they're good fun.
    You selling one? ;-)

Leave a comment:

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Originally posted by blade888 View Post
    Oh nooooooo.. yea I'd say have an attempt at fixing the bearing.. I know a couple of mates who may be able to shed some light on your questions about the bearing if it needs the engine out or not. Can ask if you want?
    Thanks Nick. Don't worry about it, see below.

Originally posted by Thom View Post
    My way of thinking is if you repair It you still have a saleable engine for when you do you ev conversion rather than what is essentialy a non running re-buildable engine an probably worth jack
    Thanks guys. I ordered the parts today. Total bill including shipping and some non-related parts (spare oem guibo incase my custom one fails, new thermostat, gaskets) was less than AU$300 all up.

Judging from this how-to article I should be able to do the work in a day assuming all the parts are correct. I couldn't really afford to pull the engine apart to check for oversized bearings before ordering them. The 300zx is taking my side of the garage so when I do work like this on my car, it displaces my flat mate's car for a while. He's accommodating, but only to a point (understandable).

Leave a comment:

• screencheetah
    replied
    Maus, you should get an AW11. With a supercharger and Nevo pulley. I hear they're good fun.

Leave a comment:

• Thom
    replied
    My way of thinking is if you repair It you still have a saleable engine for when you do you ev conversion rather than what is essentialy a non running re-buildable engine an probably worth jack
    Last edited by Thom; 21-08-2013, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• blade888
    replied
    Oh nooooooo.. yea I'd say have an attempt at fixing the bearing.. I know a couple of mates who may be able to shed some light on your questions about the bearing if it needs the engine out or not. Can ask if you want?

Leave a comment:

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Had a blast at Wakefield Park yesterday, except that my engine is f*CKed now! $480 tow from Goulburn to Wollongong. Ouch!

Got a bearing rattle at certain RPMs, mostly when the engine is transissioning from accelerating to coasting, or when coasting with just enough throttle for the engine to not be doing any work. I'm assuming this is a rod big-end bearing. That sound right to folks on here? I pulled off on the same lap that I started hearing the noise, so it shouldn't have done too much damage.

I've done some reading online and it looks like it's possible to replace the conrod big-end bearings without removing the engine from the car. Just drop the subframe and steering rack, remove the oil pan, and do the replacement from under the car. It's a big job, but not as big as removing and reinstalling or replacing the engine. Replacing the bearings is my current plan, but I'm also tempted to take this as an opportunity to set the BMW aside in preparation for its EV conversion and buy something else to drive around for a while. The problem with that is that the BMW conversion isn't likely to start until early next year at the soonest. That's a long time to have a non-driveable car parked on the street, and the cost of buying a second car will pull money from my EV savings (though I'll have to do it once I start the conversion anyway).

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Crazy2287
    replied
    Totally gonna crash your Wakefield party =P

Sway bar link bushes with the neck cut off, I like your style.

Swapping keys sounds fun, But don't you get worried that if it's gonna break it will be when YOUR driving it?

Leave a comment:

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Originally posted by Marty View Post
    wakefield!! that sounds fun
    Should be good. My first track day ever! I'll be swapping keys with some friends. One car I'll have a go at is a mate's AW11 supercharged MR2. My BMW will seem boring after that.

Leave a comment:

• Marty
    replied
    wakefield!! that sounds fun

Leave a comment:

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Quick update.

Replaced the broken headlight lens. Decided to ditch the angel eyes and try something new. I removed the inner lenses from the headlight housing. This gives it a MUCH cleaner look and makes the headlight rounds look larger. Since the low beams are projectors, the lens was purely cosmetic anyway. The high beam seems to work the same as it did before.

I am thinking of painting the little metal ring that holds the projector lens. It's just galvanized metal coloured right now (visible in the photo above). I think I'll paint them green next time I have the headlights apart. I did a quick photoshop of what it might look like. I think it'd be pretty cool, relatively subtle.

Not visible in the photoshopped image is the green reflection that would be visible in the reflector housing, which could be an added bonus. I am contemplating painting that reflector housing black though, since it's not used by the projector anyway. It's hard to go back if I don't like it though, so I'm hesitant. I've seen some pics of others who've done it and it's pretty cool. The inboard mounted high beam reflector becomes dominant and it gets a very "storm trooper" sort of look.

I'll likely "smoke" the front corner indicators as well by cutting them open, painting the reflective surface inside, and gluing them back together. The lens would remain clear so the light from the bulb would not be dimmed at all, which should save me from any defect. Still undecided on this too, but at least replacements are cheap if I decide I don't like it.

Also, I decided to put my CNC mill to work and machine up a replacement "guibo" for my driveshaft. They're known to be a weak part and I've gone through two of them on this car already (though they were from eBay so probably not the best quality to begin with). I designed the new disk around polyurethane bushings to maintain a bit of flex as required (it's not rigidly attached to the transmission output flange). I used my mill to cut two disks like you see in the photo below and inserted the bushings in to the bores. The bores have a lip at the bottom so the bushing can't pull through. Two of these disks are mounted back to back to make up the thickness of the original part. The original bolts and nuts are used to install it with some washers against the nuts. Installed it today and went for a quick drive. It's no more harsh than it was before, but it should last a lot longer. I'm taking it to Wakefield park this week, so that should be a good test ;-)

So that's how my BMW sits currently, and some slight plans for it. It's not likely to see much more work before the EV 300zx is done though, at which point this one is next in line for the same treatment.

Leave a comment:

• mauswerkz
    replied
    Rock hit one of my headlights last week. I'll be picking up some replacement stock lenses for them tomorrow (hopefully). Since I'll have my headlights apart again, I could use it as an opportunity to re-do my angel eyes. Any thoughts or suggestions? My biggest complaint about the ones I made is that they're dim. I don't want to get the CCFL ones because they're fragile and require a ballast. I could get the SMD led ones. They're nice and bright, but they're a lot more expensive and "O" shaped with the top cut off (like all the other aftermarket angel eyes for this car). I like the ( )( ) pattern that the ones I made have.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X