Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XH XR6's...well, XH XR6 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XH XR6's...well, XH XR6 rebuild

Hi Guys
    I don't post on here much, but lurk around and am absolutely addicted to MCM
    Anyway I though I would Share my Project ute that I'm very slowly building up.

I've had the ute about four years and was my second car.
    This is what it used to look like:

Then I got a defect in it, brought a van for work which took all my attention, then the ute devolped engine issues and I generally lost interest.

I finally decided to pull it apart and rebuild it into the car I want it to be.
    First big job was/still is the interior conversion. I really wanted an e-series dash rather than the old x-series. Unfortunately the wiring is completely different and the dash doesn't fit neither do the door trims. So after re-looming the entire car and some cutting with the angle grinder I have this:

I am also turboing the old girl at the same time, I have collected some of the following parts
    Spool forged rods and Cp custom forged piston
    Atomic Harmonic balancer, 16mm mains girdle, main and head studs, oil pump and valve springs.
    Turbonetics t-72 charger, 600x300x115mm intercooler, tial wastegate.
    and a motec ecu

The turbo is only cable tied in place at the moment

Still along way to go. Next step is to get the motor built and modify a r33 gts-t manual box to bolt up

Thanks for looking, I appreciate any feedback

Ben

Wow, not a fan of Ford's but that's a mean looking Ute, and it can hold its own by the looks of it too. (Or will be able to :P) Much fabrication work needed to fit the 33 box or is it a relatively easy swap?

Comment

very nice. i do love this model of xr
      "Is it weird this gave me a Rageboner?"

Comment

Hmm this car confuses me... it's almost like an EF falcon with a HQ Kingswood lobbed on the rear end heh.
        My 1992 SSS Pulsar Build: My love for Pulsars - The SR20VE 2.2L Big Bore N/A Build

Comment

Thanks Guys

Rosey, There will be abit of work to get the '33 box to work. Theres already an xf ute running the same set-up and he gave me some good info.
          I will know more when I have the box, but as it stands if the input shaft protudes far enough we will make an adaptor plate. Or the xf ute guy gave me the details for the workshop that cut and shut his bellhousing to retain the factory ford clutch set-up
          Either way it still needs a custom crossmember and speedo set-up.

The hard part is getting a gts-t box thats not stupid expensive. I'm trying to get one for under 1k but there all pretty pricey.
          Looks like the cheaper option is to get a gtr box and lop off the side of the transfer case. There only around $400 and both me and my old man can weld ally so wouldn't be too hard.

Jaked, Yep it's a bitsa lol.
          Basically an el front and front suspension. El wiring with xf plugs, eb rear brakes on an el diff. Xf dash housing el electronics. The bonnet, front guards,roof section, mirrors and rear bumper are all unique to this model and rare. The floor pan is from an el although it's essentially an xf body, and some of the engine internals are from an au which wasn't even in production yet.

And thats all from factory! You can imagine how much of a nightmare it is getting parts as most of the catalogues list it as an x-series but it's actually 90% e-series

Ben

Comment

I was going to suggest asking Mechanical Stig if they had any 33 boxes at Ichiban, but it seems you're from Victoria by your plates. :P If you can get a GTR box for $400 and it only needs a bit of work, then shit why not. Better than paying $1,000+ for a GTS box.

Comment

Originally posted by XH XR6 View Post
              Thanks Guys

Rosey, There will be abit of work to get the '33 box to work. Theres already an xf ute running the same set-up and he gave me some good info.
              I will know more when I have the box, but as it stands if the input shaft protudes far enough we will make an adaptor plate. Or the xf ute guy gave me the details for the workshop that cut and shut his bellhousing to retain the factory ford clutch set-up
              Either way it still needs a custom crossmember and speedo set-up.

The hard part is getting a gts-t box thats not stupid expensive. I'm trying to get one for under 1k but there all pretty pricey.
              Looks like the cheaper option is to get a gtr box and lop off the side of the transfer case. There only around $400 and both me and my old man can weld ally so wouldn't be too hard.

Jaked, Yep it's a bitsa lol.
              Basically an el front and front suspension. El wiring with xf plugs, eb rear brakes on an el diff. Xf dash housing el electronics. The bonnet, front guards,roof section, mirrors and rear bumper are all unique to this model and rare. The floor pan is from an el although it's essentially an xf body, and some of the engine internals are from an au which wasn't even in production yet.

And thats all from factory! You can imagine how much of a nightmare it is getting parts as most of the catalogues list it as an x-series but it's actually 90% e-series

Ben
              Wow I can't believe that was factory standard, I thought you'd bought some dodgy repair job car man LOL

I've got a BA XR6 as a daily, can't say they're fun to drive but it looks like you're going about solving that problem
              My 1992 SSS Pulsar Build: My love for Pulsars - The SR20VE 2.2L Big Bore N/A Build

Comment

Haha, Good to see another boostedfalcon.net member here!!...

Keep up the good work mate!!
                2002 AU2 Fairlane Ghia - Liquid Silver.

BF Brakes - Catback exhaust - Manual - Lowered... Clean, Simple and awesomely maaaad...!

Comment

Looking great, cant wait to see more of this .

Comment

nice ford mate

Comment

Yeah the XH or the XG were a factory miss match lol But that what happens when they there in between models and don't have a new ute on offer Congrats on trying to sort out the mess ford left you It will be worth the effort in the end. Looks good.
                      1992 Mitsubishi magna

It not what you drive, it how you drive it

sigpic

Comment

looks great and can't wait to see it all finished!

Comment

Working...
                        X