Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andrew's 1993 MX-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew's 1993 MX-5

Hey guys,

some of you may have seen my for sale ad for my R33 Skyline:

Well, I managed to sell it a few weeks ago and since then I've been on the hunt for a cheap-ish NA6 MX5 to commute to uni and do a few track days. After much searching I FINALLY FOUND THE ONE!

It's a 1993 NA-6 manual (of course) with A/C, power steering, electric windows and it's completely stock (for now). It's done 212,000 k's and still runs very well, though it has a stumble around the 2,000 rpm mark. I've only driven about 30k's in the car but it feels fantastic, I can't wait to take it to the track to learn what it can do (Mighty Car Mods group trackday at Wakefield Park? Moog vs. Marty?). The induction noise is SO loud, much louder than the exhaust and it sounds epic.

First mod is a foam-ectomy on the seat to give me more headroom. As it is I have to slouch to fit under the roof and my head still pushes up the soft top

I'm considering whether or not to swap in a 2.0L Mazda FE3 engine (a very easy swap, bolts to stock gearbox, engine mounts are really easy). If I keep it stock I'll have to change the timing belt and related items shortly which is a pretty expensive exercise. I initially bought a supercharger for the car but I'm reconsidering keeping it NA. I will definitely not turbo it, I'm really not a fan after owning my R33.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Last edited by Beelzeboss; 01-09-2011, 07:16 PM. Reason: Adding to the title
    1993 MX-5 - 2.5L V6 swap in progress

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ew-s-1993-MX-5

A foam-ectomy? Wow, TBH, judging by that pic of your head sticking out, i think you'll get sick of it fast. Nice little car though. Soft top will be awesome in summer & i hear they perform great!
    Spelling mistakes are most likely due to me typing on an iPad.
    MR CELICAS TOY!
    MrCelicas Family rides!
    Originally posted by Rake
    MrCelica is all class. Listen to him.

Comment

You look like nody in your new car Looks good, might need a good polish.
      1992 Mitsubishi magna

It not what you drive, it how you drive it

sigpic

Comment

Sweeet Mazda Its cute and unique. I think you'll get sick of the crampness though

As JDM as Sauerkraut

1994 Audi 80 V5 Quattro
        1997 Audi A4 1.8
        1994 Mercedes-Benz C180
        1989 Mercedes-Benz 300CE
        1994 Mercedes-Benz C220
        1992 Mercedes-Benz 400SEL
        1994 Mercedes-Benz S420
        1997 BMW 525i
        1982 Mercedes-Benz 280E
        1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
        Future:
        I need to stop buying cars...

Comment

Has it been in a accident.. The front bumper's really faded compared to the rest of the car???? If not the wrong colour! Other than that looks very nice... My uncle has the newest model.. There very nice car's
          Mighty Jdm Dc2R, 128.8kw Atw @ 1065kg - Running 13.875 @ 100.26 mph
          Youtube JDMTEGR
          http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...JDM-Conversion

Comment

Cheers guys,

my head is only about 1/2 an inch above the roof line so I should be able to fit comfortably in the car after cutting a bit of foam out of the seat. Remember it's RHD so it's not my whole head sticking above the roof, lol.

The car could possibly have been in an accident but it drives straight and I'm confident I can line up the bonnet/bumper properly. The hinges have some adjustment in them. Red MX5's of this era are notorious for fading so it could be that because the bumper is plastic and the bonnet is aluminium they have slightly different paints which fade at different rates. Anyway I'm not overly concerned about how the car looks, I'm only interested in how it drives

It's been so much fun, tomorrow I'm going to do an oil and filter change, and possibly a new air filter if it's dirty.

Cheers,
            Andrew
            Last edited by Beelzeboss; 16-04-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Nice car man, Sure it would be a blast in the rain :P

Motor looks like a baby SR lol.

Why dont you like turbochargers? as you mentioned after driving your 33 it put you off?

Keep us updated!
              sigpic

Comment

This is a sweet car man. Every time I drive mine it puts a smile on my face. It's good to see another mx5 owner on mcm.

The headlights are an easy thing to adjust to so that you get them mounted flush with the hood. Take off the black surround and undo two bolts and then man handle it until it fits.

Mazda must have used cheap paint back in the early 90s because all red ones fade. My back quarter panel looks like a dark pink. Meguires restorx will fix the problem. At least for a short time.
                If it's got to be done.... It's got to be jdm

Comment

If it was the case of the plastic fading at differ rates the back bumper would look the same.. Any ways.. Loving it... How do these car's go??? I raced one at the lights in my accord and the mx5 just started to pull away after about 200m! What the quarter like on these car's??
                  Youtube JDMTEGR

Comment

Not to sure of the 1/4 haven't run mine yet. There not the most powerful things on earth but it's what you can do with them. 1.6L high revving engine that if driven well is really good. They have nothing below 4000 rpm. The car is just under 900kg so it does take much to push around.

Comment

Yer just redbooked it 938 kg at 85kW @ 6500rpm and 130Nm @ 5500-5500rpm.. Dam though's things are light.. I thought my teg's light!!! I think you get that thing pushing about 150 kw "200hp" it would be off tap!!!!!!!!
                      Youtube JDMTEGR

Comment

Cheers everyone. As 91MX says they're not quick in a straight line but they're really, really good in the corners. Mine's probably about 960kg with the extras it has. I just changed the oil and noticed it has a leaky rocker cover gasket Ah well, it's not a difficult fix. Next up is gearbox oil and possibly diff if I have enough time before work. I fixed the stumble it had by re-gapping the spark plugs to within spec. I'll need new ones eventually but these will do for a while.

As to why I don't like turbo's; it's just I really hate the lag they have (cue all the people saying "a well sorted turbo will have very little lag..."). Yes, you can minimise the lag but they can't possibly match the response of an NA engine. For most people this is not a big deal but it really frustrated me every time I accelerated in the skyline. The slight delay even at high revs going from no throttle to WFO was so annoying I ended up selling the car because of it (as well as the fuel economy, but that was because it wasn't running 100&#37.

Comment

Originally posted by Beelzeboss View Post
                          Cheers everyone. As 91MX says they're not quick in a straight line but they're really, really good in the corners. Mine's probably about 960kg with the extras it has. I just changed the oil and noticed it has a leaky rocker cover gasket Ah well, it's not a difficult fix. Next up is gearbox oil and possibly diff if I have enough time before work. I fixed the stumble it had by re-gapping the spark plugs to within spec. I'll need new ones eventually but these will do for a while.

As to why I don't like turbo's; it's just I really hate the lag they have (cue all the people saying "a well sorted turbo will have very little lag..."). Yes, you can minimise the lag but they can't possibly match the response of an NA engine. For most people this is not a big deal but it really frustrated me every time I accelerated in the skyline. The slight delay even at high revs going from no throttle to WFO was so annoying I ended up selling the car because of it (as well as the fuel economy, but that was because it wasn't running 100&#37.
                          well, this wouldn't have any lag...
                          Originally posted by MOOG
                          Volvo is turbo and proper mad.
                          Originally posted by Jenga
                          You see, when a piston, block, crankshaft, and some fuel and air all love each other very, very much.....

Comment

You really need a shoe horn to fit an ls into these things. It's a real same you cam drive on of them on the road otherwise I would be going down that path.

Comment

Yeah I'd be doing that if the RTA didn't have such strict rules about engine swaps

The biggest N/A engine you can put in this mx5 in NSW is a 2.8L, and the biggest turbo is a 2.37L. I could put in a 2.0 N/A without needing an engineering cert because it's within 15 percent of the largest available engine (1.8L), providing I didn't need to do any 'major' modifications to the car to get it to fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X