Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mighty Mira - Soon with moar K3-VET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mighty Mira - Soon with moar K3-VET

Hey all,

As you can probably tell by now (after a few subtle hints dropped around the forums :P) I was the lucky one that bought the little cuore back in may/june when it was put up for auction.
    I was going to wait a little longer until I put up the build thread, mainly since I’m at uni for half the year and can’t work on the little beast (until around the end of November anyway). But even though I haven’t been able to work on it directly, there is still a lot that I’ve been doing in the meantime Hence why I’ve decided to post up the log of what’s happened so far (and there’s still a looooooooooooooooong way to go). This is only a brief overview of what I’ve done so far, there is plenty of things missing.

So, after winning the auction and a bit of organising, it was decided that I’d get Marty to organise having a cat converter installed (since it had a straight-thru system installed for auto salon which is uber illegal on the road) so it could be driven to a super secret location many hundreds of k’s away :P After a few weeks, I went around to MCM HQ and picked it up, pretty awesome. A massive thanks to Marty for organising the exhaust, converting it back to NA and getting it ready for a long trip. It was a massive help. The exhaust that’s on it now has an awesome note to it.

I got plenty of smiles and beeps from people during the trip, which was pretty awesome. After a ~7 hour drive, because it took forever to get out of sydney, it was at its new home. The little car didn’t skip a beat either, so maximum kudos to marty and co, the mechanicals of this car were really well done. The cuore the day after I got it home:

The paint job is mega, mega shiny

The main mission statement for this project – Give it as much go as it has show (and giving it my own twist on the 'show' part), make it as nice to drive as possible and giving it as many ‘nice’ features as my budget will allow, while keeping everything legal.

Basically, it's half way to its full potential, my plan to is to get the little cuore to its full potential. Simple enough, right?

And so the work started... There was around about 2 weeks to do what I could before heading back to uni. The first thing that was done was to have a look at each part of the car, seeing what needed doing and coming up with a plan of attack, as well as the direction I want to take the car. The list of things got very long, very quick...

All the work I’ve done so far has mainly been cosmetic and fixing up all the little things that annoyed me, I’m not concentrating on the engine until the end of the year.

So, the first thing on my list was to make a new numberplate mount, something had to be done about that ... I made a couple of different versions (ie, one that mounts in the middle of the bumper, one that mounts off to the side, etc). I ended up settling on the one that mounts off to the side, I’m pretty pleased with the result:

I might change the mounting later on... Not sure yet. Note the lack of work area... The new workshop was getting built at the time lol.

Next thing was to secure the front bumper... Because of the mods done to it, a few of the mounting points were removed, so, a few hours later, and some new brackets were made to secure the bumper. It’s now extremely secure, but can still flex as the temperature changes. Win.

Next was to create a new false floor and brackets to support it properly. As good as Moog’s and Gav’s effort was, it was for show, not useability. I ended up going with 16mm MDF (It’s heavy, but very sturdy), a new stainless steel bracket was made up and the boot was started. Itll obviously be bolted down (it is right now, I just didnt take pics) :P

The main thing I wanted to keep was the spare tyre access. So, a 2-peice floor was made to keep the spare tyre easily accessible.

The boot also got a healthy serving of Dynamat

The ride is about a million times nicer with the dynamat, that stuff is seriously underestimated. It might add a few kilos of weight to the car, but it’s more than worth it.

Next thing on the list was sound. I like listening to the full dynamic range of music when I’m driving. I’m not a massive loud music person, but something had to be added. The plan to add some subwoofers was interesting, because I didn’t want to give up any spare space, but then I discovered shallow-mount subwoofers. Awesome little things, and luckily there was a reasonable amount of spare space underneath the floor. And so, a dual box was built with zero storage space lost. It was a perfect compromise, no space was wasted and the subs are mostly hidden. I ended up using Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 10” speakers. I’m not going for maximum volume, just some bottom end

The doors and floor under the seat got some dynamat as well as a speaker upgrade. I’m not doing a plug for dynamat or anything, but the difference in sound quality before and after was very impressive. Road noise was also significantly reduced. The extra weight isn’t a worry, since the future engine power will MORE than make up for it. I haven’t finished that side of things, yet.
    Next was the engine, and looking at what options for extra powaaaaaar. The most obvious option was to swap out the engine for a K3-VET (1.3l turbo engine from a Daihatsu YRV), or even a K3-VE from the Australian delivered Sirion GTVi (which is what the front brakes came from in the build video). All of those options were well and good (direct bolt-on aswell!), but the problem is the availability. They are rare engines, and there is massive demand in Malaysia for them at the moment, making them rather expensive and hard to get.

For the moment, I’m sticking with the engine already in it and keeping the little VF-16 turbo (seriously, that thing is TINY). The EJ-DE engines are great little engines, and as long as it’s tuned properly, I’ve even come across people running well over a bar of boost on the stock internals reliably, and with that much boost they are quick.

The engine is going to be handled by a megasquirt II ECU which will be monitored by a Tech Edge wideband (All are DIY kits, another win!)
    The tech edge kit:

And the megasquirt:

I’ve got some reading to do... Haha

Conversing with engineers is also happening at the moment as to what can/can’t be done. I’m not one of those d*ckheads that goes and puts 18” rims on a car and has it 1” off the ground, then has a big whinge when the car gets defected. Twats like that are one of the reasons why the rules are becoming so strict. /rant

Anyway, there are 2 main issues facing me at the moment (TL;DR stuff):

1. The VSCCS (google it) is coming in around the 30th of September. Basically, it’s a new engineering signatory scheme that has some rather silly requirements for the engineers themselves, and as far as I know, will be causing a lot of engineers to shut up shop. That may change, but it’s not looking good. It’s going to mean that booking in to get all this stuff certified toward the end of the year could be very hard, and potentially very expensive. I’m hoping it won’t become so expensive that I can’t justify having the mods certified, but we’ll see.

2. The wheels! At the moment, the RTA is also starting to change the rules on what can or can’t be certified. I’ve got the OK for the ecu and all other mods, but there are limits on the size of wheels I can put on this thing. As good as the 17” Rays looked, they are ridiculously illegal and no one would engineer something that big. With the current NSW rules, I’m not allowed to put on tyres that are over 50mm larger diameter and rims more than 6” wide (6” is the max for cars that weigh less than 800kg). Engineers just aren’t allowed to certifiy anything outside those rules. Obviously, that limits me quite a bit. 15” wheels are going to be the limit (which will go pretty well under the flares and the lowered springs). The good thing is that when the new rules come in (The national building code for light vehicles), it goes with the ‘up to 1.3 times wider than stock tyre’ rule with no mention of weight. That will let me run 6.5” or 7” wide rims. Wheels are one of the easiest mods to do, so they’ll be left until later anyway.

So, that’s where I’m up to at the moment. As I said I’ve left out a lot of info so I’ll add it as I think of it. There is still a MASSIVE list of things to do/fix.It’s still a couple of months before I can work on the car again (gotta wait until uni holidays!) but I’m working on something to do with the car most days (currently building the megasquirt ECU), so this will be updated as things happen
    Last edited by Jenga; 09-08-2011, 06:48 PM.

nice work, it took us alot of work to get it to where you have it and its looking like it will keep getting better.
    Qualified to do stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Faceplant View Post
      nice work, it took us alot of work to get it to where you have it and its looking like it will keep getting better.
      It's in good hands, and it's going to take a lot more work to get it to where I want it

Comment

was wondering what happened to it....nice work, cant wait for more

Comment

Now that is where it went

Awesome! Can't wait till you finish it all up mate.

Comment

Sounds like you have a great plan in the works!!!! Can't wait to see it unfold!
            My 1994 Pulsar on MightyCarMods Forum

My 1994 Gunmetal Silver N14 SSS Intro and Build on PGA

sigpic

Comment

Awesome work. This is going to be an awesome build.

Iv been contemplating getting a megasquirt for my car but not 100% on it yet. Keep us informed on the progress of the megasquirt.
              If it's got to be done.... It's got to be jdm

Comment

Just wondering, is that pod filter legal?
                Technically, no. Air filters (weather they are pod or panel) need to be covered. A box will be built later on, hopefully with a cold air intake for the pod. The picture there with the pod was only a temporary set-up so I could drive it home (it was running without the turbo, the intercooler was only sitting in the front so it could be test fitted)

The wheels were illegal and they were to be given with the car ONLY at extra cost.
                Nah, marty and moog decided to keep the rims, they never gave me an option to buy them as an extra. They were worth a lot (try getting genuine 17" rays rims like that for under $1000), plus it's impossible to engineer something that big on such a little car. It was smart of them to not sell the wheels with it. I've got different plans for wheels anyway.
                Last edited by Jenga; 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Very keen to see this car develop further! Love to see what can be done to these little beasties! I have a '99 Handivan myself, which is the same but with no rear seats from the factory
                  Also looking forward to seeing how the turbo turns out, have been thinking about this mod for mine!!

Comment

Great to see someone taking on the cuore reins. Good luck with getting the stuff certified with hose new rules coming into play soon
                    http://codegen.tumblr.com

My Honda Integra Type R

I smoked your V8 and you called me a cheater? You're just mad you can't catch a 2 litre.

Originally posted by milkchicken
                    Drive like everyone else out there is out to kill you

Comment

Originally posted by OPTIMUS PRIME
                      Just wondering, why did you pull out the Turbo? Are you planning to put it back on?
                      I imagine he's planning to re-fit it. It was removed I'd guess because so was the Haltech ECU that was running the car before sale (was on loan from Haltech). You'd have to be brave to attempt a 7 hour drive on a car with a +T conversion running the OEM ECU..
                      Originally posted by Ron
                      ARE YOU ALLOW TO PUT NEON LIGHT IN SIDE THE CAR LIKE BRIAN SKYLINE IN 2 FAST 2 furious

Originally posted by MOOG
                      Metal owns all others and that is all!

Daily - 1991 Corolla SX
                      Project - 1988 N13 Pulsar SVD 18LE Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Jenga View Post
                        Technically, no. Air filters (weather they are pod or panel) need to be covered. A box will be built later on, hopefully with a cold air intake for the pod. The picture there with the pod was only a temporary set-up so I could drive it home (it was running without the turbo, the intercooler was only sitting in the front so it could be test fitted)
                        Wow...car regulations seem pretty strict in Australia, even for a filter! o.O

Comment

Originally posted by UchihaShinji View Post
                          Wow...car regulations seem pretty strict in Australia, even for a filter! o.O
                          It's only in NSW that we can't have uncovered pod filters... Kinda stupid really.

I imagine he's planning to re-fit it. It was removed I'd guess because so was the Haltech ECU that was running the car before sale (was on loan from Haltech). You'd have to be brave to attempt a 7 hour drive on a car with a +T conversion running the OEM ECU..
                          You would be correct there, the turbo was only taken off temporarily.

Finished off the megasquirt today, it all works pretty well. I bought the boost control kit with it, so I can handle boost levels straight from software.

The next challenge is that NSW requires aftermarket ECUs to be tamper-proof (which basically means you need to enter a password to change any of the settings). The megasquirt doesn't do that as it is, so I'm going to have to improvise a password protection circuit to meet the rules. Good thing im an electrical engineer lol. The other thing on the list at the moment is to create a circuit board that I can solder the original ECU plugs onto (so the megasquirt is literally plug and play). I need to get a space ECU to cannibalize, it shouldn't take long to find one

Comment

Originally posted by Jenga View Post
                            The other thing on the list at the moment is to create a circuit board that I can solder the original ECU plugs onto (so the megasquirt is literally plug and play). I need to get a space ECU to cannibalize, it shouldn't take long to find one
                            So does that mean that you could make me one that i could just plug in?? :P (I wish!!)

Comment

Perhaps, perhaps lol.

Finally found someone who's parting out a cuore down at sydney, I should be able to get my paws on an ECU so I can come up with the design for the PCB. Then I'll have the design sent away and fabricated. Hopefully the cuore is also a manual, I need a center console (and a few other parts lol).

Comment

Working...
                              X