Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My BC5 Legacy Build, aka my neverending money pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My BC5 Legacy Build, aka my neverending money pit

Well guys/girls thought that I should start a build thread since I have been on here since May and havent done much to contribute.

Bit about myself first i guess, Im from Christchurch in New Zealand (AKA Quakechurch) and work for a Suspension Auto Parts outfit. Have had Subarus for the past 6 years know and had from Vortexs to Legacys/Libertys. Ive had my BC5 since May 2010, brought it for my birthday as I was getting sick of my EP82 Startlet. Got it for an ok price and it was all legal and running so i couldnt complain.

It was pretty dirty inside and out so a good clean was a must, got some new wheels, B4 twin spokes were my personal choice and also had to change the seats as they were WRX buckets that someone had bored out so you were basically sitting on the floor, so they went and put in some later model legacy seats

Sadly after 2 months of perfect running the electrical gremlins came out of the woodworks and started to cause havoc. Decided that i would have a look to see what was going on under the dash incase it was something small, yeah i really wish that i hadnt.

looks like there was an alarm in here at some stage and then was taken out and not well. then I got in the engine bay and found that all the the wiring going to the engine from the ecu was just cut and twisted together and then taped, im guessing that there was also some kind of aftermarket computer running the engine and they wanted it before selling the car.

So yeah i was at a cross roads, i would just get a new loom and put it back together and be done with it or I could repower the car while i had alot of the car apart. I decided on the repower in the end but it was how I was going to repower it that was going to be the next issue. Had a friend suggest a EJ257 out of the later model WRX and put a decent sized turbo on it and be all good, but I heard about the new generation of 6 cyclinder motors that were going in the later model legacys and tribecas. Did some research and found that they are putting out the same kind of power of a STI engine just without the turbo, which just sounded very very interesting. So did some searching and found one for sale

This is my EZ30R out of a 2005 BPE outback, has AVCS basically subarus VTEC but just on intake. So after sourcing the engine i thought that would be it just put it in and wire and plumb oh how i was mistaken. Had a phone call from a friend in Auckland telling me of a guy that has just had a V9 2005 WRX STI brought into the country as non compliable so was going to be stripping for parts. So I grabbed the DCCD 6 Speed box with matching R180 rear diff, Half shalfs, Brembos, rear hubs, rear subframe and STI 17' wheels.

Everything was going great, until the big earthquake that we had in February. The car had damage and some parts got damaged as well

The Car was orginally leaning up agains the wall after the quake, so was a dam good shake, after i got it back on the ground and some wheels on it, it was time to move it out of town so a safer location.

So now that its at its new home 60km out of Christchurch or as we call it the danger zone, I have to get onto getting more and more parts and putting more parts onto the car. I have to get an aftermarket ECU to run the AVCS as well as the 6 cyclinders so went and saw the local Link suppliers that I deal with through work and got a good deals on a few.

So after getting the brain, i got onto getting the suspension and brakes sorted, got a set of teins for it as they were going to be the same kind of money as bilsteins out of the later model legacys.

In some true Mighty Mods styles i had to make a custom shifter surround, but because of the 6 speed shifter it has a special kind of boot so i used a knife and a file to cut the plasitic on the original surround to suit the new boot.

Looked good in the car tho. Later that month picked up some new wheels from a guy far down south so roadtrip to get them, in the end i got them and an autobox as well.

After months of collecting parts the engine finally made its way in, i had some turbos at home and just wanted to see what they would look like in the engine bay (TD07 turbos are just a little too big)

Its a tight fit in the bay but it does clear the chassis rails. Next was the speedo and the windup windows, because of the electrical gremlins in the car i wanted to change to wind up windows just for conveniance, found a BJ3 with a set of door cards and handles which i stripped down and cleaned up.

From this

To this

And the speedo is from a RS turbo liberty, but I really need a wiring diagram for the Liberty that has the electronic speedo as the RS legacy are all cable driven, the easiest thing would be to have a complete dash loom from Australia but I havent found anyone that has anything.

Finally this is where im up so at the moment, got the rear diff modded to fit the BC driveshalfs because of the different bolt on pattern as well as paint the lateral arms and fit the 24mm swaybar and then sway bar brackets to a taller mount so that they clear the spare wheel bay.

Also got my alloy radiator that has to be shorten and new pipes have to be added to the top for it to work with the engine.

There is lots more that I have missed along the way but for now this is what I can remember.
    Originally posted by Turbo Yoda
    TT's suck balls, go single and celebrate life.
    Quoted for the Truth

Wow dude, There's a lot of work in this car... Mass respect for doing something a bit out-there and fitting the atmo 6
    Now drives a girl's car
    Originally posted by ThePossum
    Furious masturbation, the cure to all life's problems, passes time nicely too.
    Originally posted by Squirt
    And BIGZED, phwoar. He is 1 cheeky kunt m8. I could easy wrek him 1v1.
    Originally posted by LikeABoss
    Welcome to the bogan side, heres your complimentary can of VB, a kick to mouth to remove most of your teeth and a makita angle grinder for that extra low.

Comment

Loving it atm. keep us posted!

Comment

This build is epic! keep us posted, always loved the older legacys, combined with a new generation engine, drive train and ecu it will be weapon!

Comment

Well i fitted the rear strut brace today, there really isnt alot of room to play and for some reason the holes were slightly off so out came the die grinder, and bam everything fits

Quoted for the Truth

Comment

this car looks so good. those taillights are perfect and look so awesome
            sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

haha those taillights were on there from the last owner, and were completely illegal, i have changed back to standard but just need to find the correct boot garnish
              Quoted for the Truth

Comment

I love the fact that your doing something different and puting a 6 in it! So much good gear going into this I love it! Subscribed!

Comment

Well updates time, i have been working hard on it again and finally moved it from its place of rest for the last year out to a more stable location, an airfield in the middle of nowhere. At the moment im starting the ECU wiring and basically redoing the whole engine bay loom as well as replacing the old dash loom, reason for this is that there is just to much silly things done to it like addition of alarms and stereos and then wires that dont go anywhere. Basically i just want everthing clean and working,

As well i brought my old wagon back as it was being mistreaded by its owner, so i had to get it back so it wouldnt suffer anymore

It looks like this now after 3 days of cleaning, removing rust, changing transmissions, doing a full service and replacing panels and head lining
                  Quoted for the Truth

Comment

Good work man. Here in the States most older Legacys are rusted out and just plain beat. I'm jealous. I love Christchurch btw, such a great town. Actually all of New Zealand is pretty rad.

Comment

why did you get rid of the wagon? it looks great
                      sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

it looks good now that i have done all that work to it, and at the time i was offered a good amount for it and needed money for my BC5, but now things are better, there are things that i need to do to get it perfect tho
                        Quoted for the Truth

Comment

Ok sweet as dude
                          sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

im glued to this thread, its everything i want to do to my subie
                            The Banana R31

https://www.facebook.com/GarageSyndicate

Comment

Looks great, love the legacy/liberty shape and size...right up until the current ones, which frankly look like s*t. Keep up the good work
                              Originally posted by fitridebmx
                              break it off and put it back on with zip ties
                              Originally posted by Jenga
                              So we don't have to remove our A-holes anymore? Where's the fun in that

Comment

Working...
                              X