Jenga's Project Yaris

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenga's Project Yaris

Pulled from the cached copy of this thread. Thanks Google!

My laptop may go flat while writing this, so if you see it half-complete, it'll be done soon enough

I'll admit, I've been pretty quiet on here lately. But just because I've been quite doesn't mean I've stopped mucking around with cars. The opposite is true - I'm into it more than I've ever been.

As a few of you saw in the Cuore build thread, it's moved to a different owner. It was sad, but onto bigger and better things as they say. Being noticed and getting looks in the Cuore was pretty fun. The same went for the RVR. Now I'm a few years older, I've come to realise I'm far better suited to flying under the radar. The idea of owning a sleeper became really enticing. But in the meantime I wanted to own a boring, efficient car until I figured out what sort of sporty sleeper I wanted to buy.

So, I went and bought a Yaris. One of the most batsh*t boring, bog-standard cars out there. I have a bit of a soft spot for them. The YRS 1.5L manual.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5572/3...e86bc63b_b.jpg

After a while I came to realise that sporty sleepers (for example, a Corolla sportivo), usually are either been thrashed or are excessively expensive for a clean example. Either that, or they get turned into P-plater dream cars (ie: huge wing, fluro painted wheels and poorly made exhausts along with "Nah bro, I never thrashed it!").

I also started to discover the Yaris scene over in the US, along with what can be done to a 1NZ-FE engine. Turns out there's a pretty huge aftermarket following for them. A clean, turbo Yaris would make a awesome project. They are super common (cheap parts), the 1NZ-FE has been used since the early 2000's up to the current model Yaris (they're well understood engines and plenty are avaliable) and they take boost fairly well. Most people seem to recommend forged pistons and rods, along with a valve spring upgrade for a 'basic' built engine. All of that can be had for less than $2k AUD, even cheaper if the AUD-USD exchange rate gets better.

With that decided, I figured that I wanted to aim for a OEM+ look. That simply means that any visual mods done need to use factory parts, or something that looks close to it, while making the car as fast and sporty as possible. It may be a sleeper, I don't want it to look like a base-model Yaris. Of course in true MCM style, I have a mortgage and a lot of bills to pay, so this build needs to be balanced - buying the best parts I can afford, while keeping everything as cheap as possible.

The first mods were to make the car 'nicer' and a little less boaty, while keeping an eye out for a cheap engine and gearbox. I began looking for set of Recaros. That name comes with a huge premium and I was NOT going to buy knockoff seats. The best method is to find some from a car that had recaros from the factory. Eventually came across a set from a XR5 turbo, for $200 on Ebay. Absolute bargain and they even came in my favourite color. So a weekend with a welder and an angle grinder, they were in. They are absolutely awesome, I'll never go back to standard seats.

The next mod was a set of lowering springs. Until I can find some coilovers, king springs will do. They make the car a little less like a minature SUV. And I don't have a picture of it LOL.

(pic of springs here later)

Next was a set of wheels. The high-specced yaris came with 6-spoke 15" alloys. I like those wheels, but I wanted to go for some larger rims to reduce the amount of sidewall and get a sportier look. 17's make Yaris's look like a toy car (especially those cheapo Bob Jane rims that every girl in her early 20's seems to get, they are truly horrible), so I settled on 16's. Eventually I found a set of 16" wheels on gumtree for $100 that look very similar to the stock Toyota rims. They are pretty scuffed up, but salvageable. To complete the look, I even bought a set of Toyota hub centers off ebay. With a coat of paint and some new tyres, they'll look great.

(pic of wheels here later)

The Yaris that came after mine had the facelift front and rear bumper. It's a lot less 'round'. There was one down at Pick'n'payless, so I made the trip down to Sydney to get the new bumper and headlights. It looks so much better.

I finally came across a cheap engine. It was from a 2013 Yaris with 9000km, for $300. I've never seen an engine this clean. Again, it was an absolute bargain. Its the great thing about a super common car driven primarily by young women, there are plenty of super low km examples that have been crashed (don't get mad, those are the facts).

[IMG]https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5543/30807024865_350c6e358d_b.jpg/[IMG]

The digital dash project had to carry on. I've always disliked the center-mounted gauges in the yaris. Fortunately, the small compartment directly in front of the driver is the perfect size for two 7" LCD screens, so I mounted the digital dash there. It's also all CAN-based, so I could get all of the information I needed directly from the CAN bus.

The steering wheel also kind-of bugged me - it was OK, but nothing special. My father-in-law owns 2015 Aurion, which has an awesome steering wheel. I looked around flebay and found a steering wheel for $80 (without the airbag, of course) to see if it'd even fit the Yaris. I got lucky, it did fit! Most wreckers want $200 for an airbag, so I'm currently looking out for one at a cheaper price. It fits the OEM+ theme perfectly.

I'm trying to decide which turbo to use... I have a Evo 8 turbo and a T25 from a 300ZX (which I was using on the 1L engine years ago). My power goal is 250HP at the front wheels. I suspect the Evo turbo is going to be laggy, while the T25 will be perky, but I probably won't reach 250HP with it. Decisions decisions.

That's it so far... I'm working as much as I can on the digital dash so that I can de-commission the center dashboard (or at least block it out). I'm also saving up for forged pistons, rods and a LSD.

I'm also hoping if Trump gets elected as president, the US dollar will crash and I can buy those forged parts for cheap... Hehehehe
    Last edited by Jenga; 30-01-2017, 07:30 AM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wondering what happened to the Mighty Mira? Check out the (mostly completed) build Here

Next up: Project Vevo - The Van Evo
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick update...

I've purchased a bunch of parts for the new engine - 9.0:1 forged pistons, BC valve springs, head studs and a new set of bearings. Exciting times.

Here's a video of the digital dash

I've slowly been trying to acquire the body kit that came with the YRX Yaris, they're reasonably rare parts. I finally managed to get my hands on a set of side skirts.

I took the tyres off the rims I bought, getting ready to paint them... They need a bit of love, but I think they're a reasonably nice OEM+ type wheel, since they look somewhat similar to other factory 15" Toyota wheels (except these are 16's). For $100 they were a bargain. Not the lightest things in the world, but I can look at lighter rims at a later date.

I also picked up a spare gearbox and flywheel for $300. The plan is to freshen it up and give it a Kaaz LSD. Because I need to use the car as a daily, I need to build as many parts as I can without taking the car apart.

I've also been doing some work to interface the Aurion steering wheel with the digital dash (and still retain the original volume controls).

All of the buttons are in parallel with a resistor inline with each of them, so each time a button is pressed, a different resistance appears on the wire. It's a clever way to put 12 buttons on 4 wires.

Wondering what happened to the Mighty Mira? Check out the (mostly completed) build Here

Next up: Project Vevo - The Van Evo

Comment

Working...
    X