Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RX-8 LQ4 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX-8 LQ4 build

Here is my adventure building my Flooded (Hurricane Harvey) RX-8 with a 6.0l V8!
    IMG_20200120_164819.jpg
    Last edited by EazyOnCars; 17-07-2020, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Mounting a engine so big and heavy, you will ruin the weight distribution of the RX-8.

It's central engine car which excels on turns, and you will transform it into a dragster...

Comment

Originally posted by Kullman View Post
            Mounting a engine so big and heavy, you will ruin the weight distribution of the RX-8.

It's central engine car which excels on turns, and you will transform it into a dragster...
            I'll try to keep that in mind while I'm daily driving it

Joking aside this is just a budget build combining a broken car with a broken van, not quite so serious.

Comment

Make sure you sort the electrics to. Being a flood car it's gonna have lots of moisture in all kinds of electrical bits. It might not give problems now, but moisture inside a plug can take very long to dry and cause problems months after you think the car has dried out

Also, I like rotary's and I like RX8's, so bit of a shame to shove a V8 in it to be honest with you

Comment

Originally posted by TheCaptain View Post
                Make sure you sort the electrics to. Being a flood car it's gonna have lots of moisture in all kinds of electrical bits. It might not give problems now, but moisture inside a plug can take very long to dry and cause problems months after you think the car has dried out

Also, I like rotary's and I like RX8's, so bit of a shame to shove a V8 in it to be honest with you
                I'll be redoing most of the wiring, going to take each component one by one, but its been promising thus far.

I hear you on the Rotary front for sure. Honestly this thing would have been crushed if I had not scooped it up and there is no way I can justify a rotary build. The amount of work that needs done to the car and amount of budget I have to throw at my second project car is very low. Cheers to keeping the chassis alive mate!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCaptain View Post
                  That big? It is a little.
                  When people put a modern LS series in them though; that's ideal.

-Uses Less fuel.
                  -Isn't significantly heavier
                  -Still Revvs freely.
                  -Adds torque that rotarys lack.

There's really no downsides.
                  Rotarys are cool IF and only IF you intend to keep them at that required 75% RPM range to be efficient.
                  The engine is damn cool for drag, or even track or touge work.
                  But it's just a really stupid idea for a street car, the rev range required is far greater than the efficiency band.

I'm hoping my next car is an LS swapped RX8.
                  There's one for sale in my state; but it's about 13 hours drive away, so I need to put a day into a drive and go have a look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Scythe View Post

-Uses Less fuel.
                    -Still Revvs freely.

Rotarys are cool IF and only IF you intend to keep them at that required 75% RPM range to be efficient.
                    But it's just a really stupid idea for a street car, the rev range required is far greater than the efficiency band.

There's one for sale in my state; but it's about 13 hours drive away, so I need to put a day into a drive and go have a look at it.
                    Aksheually those are only problems with Mazda style rotaries i.e no recovery and oil cooled rotors and a non optimal design - probably for cost reasons.

I'd use a rotary for street, they run so smoth

I've got a friend who swapped his RX7 engine for a K20 turbo, Jesus it was fast.

V8 one will be awesome, it's an available engine too
                    I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

Project Diesel Tune:

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

Martin's Kei to success

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Scythe View Post

-Uses Less fuel.
                      -Still Revvs freely.

There some downsides... the engine is bigger and goes over the front wheels, instead of behind them, so you are transforming a central engine car into a front engine car.

Comment

Not by too much; 75% is still Behind.
                        Besides, thats only a con if you don't enjoy hanging the tail out :P

Comment

This is a very cool engine swap, will have to subscribe and see how you get on.

Comment

Working...
                          X