Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S13 restore and respray (Garage style)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I lied, i'm going to post my shiny roof here because i'm proud of it.
    A few before shots:

Sanded:

Let the shine commence:

There's something about making your car shiny that's ridiculously satisfying.
    Originally posted by ADowbs
    He lives in Australia, it's a felony for thinking about doing a motor swap, let alone actually doing one.
    sigpic
    My S13 build_________________Brothers 180________________S-Chassis Thread #3_________________How to Turbo a Car

Comment

• Hey man Great job.. i am new to this forum. this is the first thread i laid eyes on.... you have done an amazing job . DIY is the best feeling ever. when i had my L's i was building a VN commodore. That was nothing compared to what your doing here.. but ill give you a tip, DONT GIVE UP. you will love it when you doing mainy's anround the CBD and your turning all the heads.
      Once again Great job
      .Dylan

Comment

• Thanks man, it's always encouraging to hear people congratulate your work. It definitely gives me motivation to go work on it some more.
        I haven't updated in a while so may as well do that.
        For those that don't know, my car is broken at the moment. My guess is the starter motor is f*cked and hopefully it's nothing more serious. I've taken this opportunity to take out the battery loom and do it up properly, as it was pretty dodgy before hand.

I, for some stupid reason, thought it'd be easier to take off the inlet manifold and take the starter out through there instead of just getting under the car. This was untrue.
        However, how badass would ITBs look on this:

Also used a bit of steel wool to clean a bit of the rocker cover to see how it looked:

It looked good. Will do the entire thing soon enough.

I'll be working all day today unfortunately, so i wont have a chance to work on the car again until tomorrow-ish. Hopefully i can get the car going again soon.
        He lives in Australia, it's a felony for thinking about doing a motor swap, let alone actually doing one.
        sigpic
        My S13 build_________________Brothers 180________________S-Chassis Thread #3_________________How to Turbo a Car

Comment

• S13 restore and respray (Garage style)

Love the paint man, it is very satisfying getting your paint to the stage where you can look at it and just say ahh I did that haha, bad thing is you will notice every flaw, but people will still think it looks great haha keep up the good work!

Comment

• Scrub them up and give them a coat of gunmetal? or charcoal.
            Maybe even go out there red,blue,orange? cheap and easy

Comment

• I assume you're talking about the rocker cover, in which case, gun-metal would be an awesome colour.
              I was thinking of going it white with black lettering. It'd kinda match my wheels.
              Only bad thing about that is that it'd get super dirty really quickly.
              sigpic

Comment

• Nice work! I talked myself out of respraying my s13, however this thread just restored all of it, don't know if i should thank you or hate you for the hole my pocket will have lmao. Anyway fantastic work on the car, keep it up =]

Comment

• Haha, thanks. You'll probably hate me before you thank me.

It's definitely a fun experience though and i can't wait until i get to paint something again.
                  If you do go ahead and paint your car, make sure you at least do it somewhere relatively clean. Doing it in the carport at the back of my house definitely wasn't the best idea i've had. It turned out alright but there were a lot of avoidable flaws.

So today i took the starter motor out, took it apart and gave it a clean. You can't really tell from the pictures, and i foolishly didn't take any of the internals, but it was a hell of a lot cleaner afterwards.
                  Before:

After:

Unfortunately, car still doesn't start.
                  Looks like i'll have to go starter motor shopping next pay.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Bought a new starter motor, car worked great 'cept it turned off on idle and hesitated a bit when i would accelerate.
                    took the throttle body and intake plenum off/apart and cleaned it out as much as possible and it's now returned to it's former responsive self.
                    Here's the outside of the throttle body after a nice ol' clean

And the inside before:

After:

Check out the different between the outside half and inside:

Also tried another wire tuck. A bit better than what it was but no where near as good as the pros.
                    sigpic

Comment

• I love this build man! You're doing great work!

What did you use on the roof to get all the orange peel off and shine it up?
                      sigpic

Comment

• Thanks dude, i used 1200 grit sandpaper to get rid of all the orange peel and get it looking flat/dull and then just used some cutting compound and a buffer/hand for the hard to reach spots, to buff it out.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Had a productive day today, got some carby cleaner into my throttle body just to make sure it's nice and clean.
                          Also finally got around to doing something i've been thinking about for ages

Last edited by villain; 24-11-2012, 05:22 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• S13 restore and respray (Garage style)

Since when have you had heat wrap on the headers?
                            Looks good though man. The blue really suits the rocker cover.

Comment

• Thanks dude, the colour was a lot better than i had expected, to be honest.
                              As for the heat wrap, i've had it since i've had the S15 engine.
                              Time for some new wrap though, mine has definitely seen better days.
                              Might buy some black wrap next time, keep everything a little bit more stealthy.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Black wrap might be an option, although painting the headers black might be better.
                                Kind of unsure how stealthy heat wrap itself would be, you know?

Comment

Working...
                                X