Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S13 restore and respray (Garage style)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weew, i handed in my essay today which means i'm under the false illusion that i have no more uni work until at least July, excluding my 3 week placement?
    So what? You say? What does that mean to me? You think?
    That means i can work on the car a lot more.
    Here's a small update:

This is what it looks like when someone who has no idea what they're doing, tries fixing their speedo.
    I'm going to spending most of the weekends, the labour day monday and my day off uni on tuesday working on this.
    Less time spent with the girlfriend but i'm sure she and i can work something out.
    I was also meant to get my guards rolled today but the guy said his cube (company car) had a flat tyre :/...
    Whatever though, it's Friday. I don't blame him if he couldn't be ****ed working today. So yeah, that will now be rescheduled to monday or tuesday.
    And in other news, my P plate test is on wednesday!
    I've never been more nervous for a test. Here's hoping i pass!
    Originally posted by ADowbs
    He lives in Australia, it's a felony for thinking about doing a motor swap, let alone actually doing one.
    sigpic
    My S13 build_________________Brothers 180________________S-Chassis Thread #3_________________How to Turbo a Car

Comment

So i've been tinkering some more and my alternator wire came loose but i didn't notice and tried starting it. Obviously it didn't start. I found out eventually, chucked the alternator back on and tried starting her up again. Still no luck. Checked the start signal fuse and it was fine, all the relay box fuses were fine. Any idea wut do? I'll work on it more tomorrow but it'd be good for anyones thoughts before i get into it.
      He lives in Australia, it's a felony for thinking about doing a motor swap, let alone actually doing one.
      sigpic
      My S13 build_________________Brothers 180________________S-Chassis Thread #3_________________How to Turbo a Car

Comment

Is it cranking over at least?
        $900 Silvia? See it come together here~ Click!
        $0 SR20? [Featuring $400 Silvia] See it come together here~ Click!

Comment

Nope. Nothin'.
          The ignition relay clicks but that's about it.
          sigpic

Comment

Flat battery?
            $900 Silvia? See it come together here~ Click!
            $0 SR20? [Featuring $400 Silvia] See it come together here~ Click!

Comment

Alright, fixed the start up issue. It wasn't really an issue, it was just the result of me working on a car at night. I couldn't see the starter wire wasn't plugged in. Derrrrp.
              Anyway, little update. Guys came around yesterday and flared my guards. They're lookin' pretty good (and now legal!).

Turns out my brother's and my suspicious were right. The rear quarter, drivers side, has been welded on. This car was probably a salvageable write off in Japan, got imported, some dodgy car salesmen used their in-shop mechanic to weld the quarter and then sell it for a ridiculous profit. As a result of the welds, the drivers side quarter looks wonky as hell but i don't really care anymore . I still think it looks bad ass.

Still no advancements with the speedo
              sigpic

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the cost of flaring the guards?
                they look great and should allow for some STANCE!!

Comment

After months of being put through torture, i figured i would treat her to a nice wash
                  Also, just for reference, here's the wonky guard:

Here's another picture of the flare. This time with the car actually on the ground.

And how she sits now:

Very happy with my first car.

As for the guards, they cost $250 for all four. Done by Brisbane guys called Fad Fittment. Very happy with their service.
                  Last edited by villain; 08-06-2012, 05:41 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Alright, i've had no updates for a few months because i've been pre-occupied with my uni hospital placement which also meant no work/money for a month. I've just gotten back to work so hopefully i'll be back to doing more exciting things with the car but i'll share the unexciting things too.
                    Because i've had no money, i decided to strip the car of it's horrible looking tint.

Looks much nicer.
                    The rear window was the worst part of the tint. It was a nasty purple tinge with air bubbles.
                    I also knew it was going to be the hardest part, but my god...

1 hour later...

End of day two...

End of day three...

The left-over glue reside

After an hour of cleaning...

And then i did the side window thing

I've now taken a break because my fingers and thumbs hurt.
                    This is worse than hell.. I should've gotten a professional to do it.
                    sigpic

Comment

• wow, I was thinking about pulling the tint off my WRX just today. Think I might leave it after seeing this O_O
                      "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

"Lots of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more MORE is..."

My Ninja ZX10r
                      http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ki-Ninja-ZX10R
                      My Ute
                      http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-Falcon-XG-ute

Comment

• Use eucalyptus oil on cotton wool and the glue will just fall off.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Have you tried a rag and eucalyptus oil? Used to use that ALL the time when removing stickers and left over glue.

I must say though, I've forgotten what I removed stickers from.

Damn, Bev beat me.

Comment

• Thanks for the tips. I've been using petrol which has been working but it can't be good for my lungs or my car. I'll see if i can buy some tomorrow from woolies and i'll try it out.
                            And Snowman, there are heaps of ways to do it properly which reduces the amount of residue left over, but i chose to ignore those ways and be a dickhead and just pull it straight off.
                            Don't be a dickhead and you'll be fine.
                            sigpic

Comment

• hey I have a tip for you . I removed 19 year old window tint of my car. I used a scraper with a blade and also heated it with a hair dryer. To get the glue off I tried so manny things. The best thing is oven cleaner. The cheap stuff is awesome. Just spray it on and it will wipe of. Yes wipe off,no scrubing at all There you go

Comment

• Went from start to finish on this
                                Dude this is just MAAAD!!

And a true diy s13 build which is what ill be doing haha so this really does give me some pointers haha
                                Ive removed the tint also , its a *****!

*thread subscribed*

Comment

Working...
                                X