Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building up a Mopar 318 and putting it under a Studabaker, for the Fury Road!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building up a Mopar 318 and putting it under a Studabaker, for the Fury Road!

Hey all,
    I've been working for over a year now and it's getting there, still plenty of work to do. But If I go back to the beginning, I started with this awful rusty lump of American Iron I found in someone's back yard!
    rustblock.jpg
    Don't worry, I know I can bring it back to life because even though I have no experience rebuilding engines, I do have an undeserved amount of confidence!
    Valves looked great!
    vlave.jpg
    Other than some substantial rust/ gunk build up, the heads were, not ok, but not not ok.
    dirtyhead.jpg
    I cleaned em up with a sandblaster after plugging up the valve guides. (Which looked pretty good considering)
    Then I set about porting and polishing them, Something else I have no experience doing!
    port polish.JPG
    They ended up looking pretty good, I guess? I think they did but what do I know?

heads 2.jpg
    Well, there's a lot more to it, and feel free to skip ahead by watching the video

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Looks good mate, a good engine to start with if you have no experience rebuilding engines. It looks fairly simple.

Be careful about opening the ports up, you can actually make things worse as you slow the air speed heading towards the valves. can encourage wall wetting as well, you need the air speed to stay high so the fuel remains suspended in the air Same principle applies if you make headers, you don't want the runners to be too big in diameter, or they'll extract less efficiently.
    I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

Project Diesel Tune:

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

Martin's Kei to success

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

Comment

I have heard that, but when talking about an American v8 from the 80's, I'm Pretty sure opening the ports up too far would require you to cut all the way through the walls and into the next port over, lol.

Comment

Exciting stuff, looking forward to following this project!

Comment

Originally posted by More Tools than Sense View Post
          I have heard that, but when talking about an American v8 from the 80's, I'm Pretty sure opening the ports up too far would require you to cut all the way through the walls and into the next port over, lol.
          This^
          I don't think there is any possible way to make it any worse than it already is, without completely ****ing it up.
          1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Working...
          X