Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the pocket rocket from hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M J W J View Post
    I'm with Jenga about stereos. I've spent the best part of 3k on mine and I probably won't be bothering to even put a normal radio in it.

If Benh from 16v saw your mini he would be appalled by the extra weight its carrying. He has taken weight saving to the extreme on his mini. It only weighs just over 500kg with him in it. Carbon fibre roof, carbon rear bumper, fibre glass front, no front bumper, no interior except the driver's seat, rear beam axle not the original sub frame, rear disc conversion, a really light weight set of 10" alloys, lexan windows and I think he even put titanium wheel nuts on it just to save a few more grams.

He also has a 100+ bhp vauxhall engine in it.
    3k? thats cute.... lol its a daily so i still want some tunes and practically with the tool kits and spares, first aid kit, etc. one day ill build a balls raw mini race car, until then ill stick with the original spec traveller and the daily van

heres what the back looks like now

i like it loud <<-- my build thread '64 mini ... van

Comment

• Not checked this build in a while, the back looks awesome man.

Sent from a potato.
      Originally posted by BIGZED
      Honestly. If I'm up for too much longer, iM going to try and solicit possum for sex, and that shits going to end badly.
      Originally posted by LikeABoss
      Possum is our dark saviour, he loves us all in his own way
      sigpic
      Sauce.

Comment

• Originally posted by princess View Post
        3k? thats cute.... lol its a daily so i still want some tunes and practically with the tool kits and spares, first aid kit, etc. one day ill build a balls raw mini race car, until then ill stick with the original spec traveller and the daily van

Guessing you've spent a lot more on yours then?

3k is only what I've spent so far. My mini is far from finished and also remember that's pounds sterling so is worth more. Benh (the guy's mini I was on about) uses his as a daily drive. Mine will have the standard interior put back in but nothing extra
        Where there's the will and a welder, there's a way

Comment

I'm with Jenga about stereos. I've spent the best part of 3k on mine and I probably won't be bothering to even put a normal radio in it.

If Benh from 16v saw your mini he would be appalled by the extra weight its carrying. He has taken weight saving to the extreme on his mini. It only weighs just over 500kg with him in it. Carbon fibre roof, carbon rear bumper, fibre glass front, no front bumper, no interior except the driver's seat, rear beam axle not the original sub frame, rear disc conversion, a really light weight set of 10" alloys, lexan windows and I think he even put titanium wheel nuts on it just to save a few more grams.

He also has a 100+ bhp vauxhall engine in it.
          that is a nice car, not a fan of the rear defuser tho
          "Is it weird this gave me a Rageboner?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Wallie View Post
            that is a nice car, not a fan of the rear defuser tho
            You mean BenH's? The boot floor has been modified quite a bit to allow a fuel cell to be put in place. I think the diffuser is part of the boot floor.

There are lighter mini's around but most of them are space frames with composite shells stuck over the top. Ben's is a heavily modified original steel shell.

Comment

• Yes benh. There's a blue mini on there with 2.0 Vauxhall engine aswell with carbonfiber panels. Dont think its as light but its a nice looking car.

heres the link to 1 of there more detailed threads on the build http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums...hread-finally/

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
              Last edited by Wallie; 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• DougieMC is the guy you are on about. His wife made the suggestion about having the hole in the bonnet for the engine to poke through as it didn't fit under the standard bonnet. Not strictly legal but is cool.

The same car is on 16v mini club (better place for engine conversion minis than TMF).

Comment

DougieMC is the guy you are on about. His wife made the suggestion about having the hole in the bonnet for the engine to poke through as it didn't fit under the standard bonnet. Not strictly legal but is cool.
                  indeed, i guess with wanting the car to sit lower with engine higher was really the only way to make it look cool without a massive bulge in the bonnet, here in south aust there arnt many mini's with 16v from other makes as getting it road registered is a pain, but there's 3 getting around with the KAD 16v and a few with the bimmer "twinky" conversion

anyway, back on topic, any future plans for the car i noticed to mentioned a K.A.D conversion IMO the cost to do it outweighs the gains looking at just over $20k for a complete engine, where as you could do a rebuild with lower compression & supercharge it for a around $4k , MiniSport in adelaide sell a SC12 bolt on kit all you need is the SC from an MR2 but if you give them a ring and speak to ben he might be able to make it fit an SC14
                  Last edited by Wallie; 04-07-2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

indeed, i guess with wanting the car to sit lower with engine higher was really the only way to make it look cool without a massive bulge in the bonnet, here in south aust there arnt many mini's with 16v from other makes as getting it road registered is a pain, but there's 3 getting around with the KAD 16v and a few with the bimmer "twinky" conversion

anyway, back on topic, any future plans for the car i noticed to mentioned a K.A.D conversion IMO the cost to do it outweighs the gains looking at just over $20k for a complete engine, where as you could do a rebuild with lower compression & supercharge it for a around $4k , MiniSport in adelaide sell a SC12 bolt on kit all you need is the SC from an MR2 but if you give them a ring and speak to ben he might be able to make it fit an SC14
                    Special components is a company that do the same thing as KAD but I don't think they are as expensive (still cost a bit).

The ride height of the car has little to do with the whole in DougieMC's bonnet. Its to do with the differential placement and getting it to line up with the hubs. You have to make sure that the CV's don't bind as the suspension cycles. A C20XE redtop engine is just too tall for a mini engine bay. My x18xe1 engine is also just slightly too tall so I will have a slight bulge in my bonnet and wing with mine.

Its not as simple as people think to get a none standard engine swap registered in the UK. The DVLA are a bit dim at times and make our lives difficult. You can't just swap the engine and then go drive it. Tax classifications change so paperwork has to be filled in and sorted for this. Registration documents have to be updated and insurance has to be sorted and the insurance companies don't like modified cars in the UK at all. Put a set of legal aftermarket wheels on your car in the UK and you have to declare it to the insurance companies who will charge you for it. If you don't declare it (and some people stupidly don't), your insurance is invalid.

Comment

Special components is a company that do the same thing as KAD but I don't think they are as expensive (still cost a bit).
                      that's the BMW head "Twinky" conversion they sell slight different & about half the price for a complete engine, they also do a supercharged version.
                      http://www.twinkam.co.uk/

Comment

• meet the newest addition to my garage...

Comment

• Ooooh! Woody traveller... Me want...

Comment

• very nice, how much that set you back? i imagine a pretty penny as cheapest ive seen woody's is about $5k for a full resto project, those mudflaps on the front are quite rare as well

Comment

very nice, how much that set you back? i imagine a pretty penny as cheapest ive seen woody's is about $5k for a full resto project, those mudflaps on the front are quite rare as well
                              i paid a grand total of nothing, comes with rego. it was my grandmothers car from the 60's and she is too old to drive now and my grandfather already has about a dozen other cars so they gave it to me, it will be staying all original too

Comment

• jesus that straight through is loud, you plan on changing the exhaust setup a bit?
                                cant wait to see this engine work done, going to need another vid :P
                                sigpic
                                Originally posted by Jenga
                                I'll be quite confident that it'll flog the p*ss out of a lot of cars. This thought gives me happy feelings in my pants.

╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong N/A engine ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don't need no tarbo ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                                ╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Comment

Working...
                                X