Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toyota V12 in 99 Liberty.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota V12 in 99 Liberty.

Just joined up here, thought you peeps might be interested in this. I'll cut and paste from another forum as it's a bit epic and I want to submit it before I age too much.

Excuse the layout, this is cut and pasted from another forum.

This car was originally going to receive a twin turbo Nissan VQ30 V6 that I had built a heap of custom stuff for and fitted into an E30 BMW. I needed some cash for my 2JZ 1968 Toyota Crown body restoration so sold the TT V6 stuff to a mate for his Legacy.
    This is the V6 setup.

So I rolled it into the home shed and started pulling the melted subaru engine out. Dropped it completely out on saturday and dropped the Vq in but it wouldn't fit because it is the tallest engine ever built. I cut the sump and it still wouldn't fit. I cut the eyeballs out of the Xmember and it still wouldn't fit under the bonnet, like by about 100mm. I put it down to the way subaru have built there Xmember. It seems they built it to fit subaru engines rather than nissan V6's.

I thought I'd throw my Toyota V12 in there for laughs and it fitted better than the stupid V6. So then I rang the owner of the car and told him he needed a V12 instead and he said whatever, as long as it does skids.

After a bit of trial and error we figured out a Xmember/rack mounting modification that would have the least impact on steering geometry and allow the engine to fit.

Proof that the bonnet shuts.

Proof that it opens.

Acres of space in there, the std headers will even fit with a bit of fettling.

Bellhousing is enroute from Japan and will be mated to a TR6060 6MT from an LS1.
    The engine will be run by a Vipec V88 or Haltech PS2000, which ever the owner wants. The manifolds will be modified to accept a pair of ford throttle bodies. I will use an electric water pump to simplify the bulky thermostat region. Will whack an R180 sti 3.545 diff and shafts in the back and see how they cope, if they fail I have an S14 rear end that is pretty easy to adapt to the Gen 3 Legacy rear suspension.

Did some work on the car this weekend. A boilermaker mate cut and folded a 3mm plate to fill in the gap in the X member that we cut out to clear the engine and I trimmed and welded it in yesterday and mounted the rack.

Std and modified crossmembers.

LH engine mount. Rubber mounts are diesel patrol.

RH engine mount.

Engine sitting on it's mounts. I haven't welded the mount brackets yet as I want to move the engine over to the right a bit more, this will require a smaller diameter booster off a different model subaru.

Changed the booster tonight, gave me a heap more room and the engine is now dead centre ready for a gearbox.

Starting to think about clutch master cylinders now.

Collected a few more parts this weekend.

Turbo 400 with adaptor plate for A340, That's a 2JZ bellhousing, haven't got the 1GZ yet. Just been rebuilt with a new drum, extra clutches and larger sprag. Needs a custom converter once I get the bellhousing and some dimensions.

Cracka(car owner) did some work cutting off the plenums in preparation for some tapered custom jobs.

He also delivered the TDO6SL2 20G's and tial 38's.

Here's a shot showing the current effect of engine weight on the car. With the subaru drivetrain it sat level. Still the T400 and turbos etc to go but it gives a bit of perspective on engine weight.

Collected some more shit.

Plenums. Still deciding on these. The oil filler is coming off anyway as it is too close to the bonnet.

Cooler.

Exhaust manifolds. Still in kit form.

I have everything I need to get cracking on this over Xmas break, bellhousing arrived, V88 ecu should be here today.

Fitted the T400. Had to trim the original gearbox xmember mount to clear the box but fits fine otherwise.

Made a crossmember that clamps to the chassis rails.

Crush tubes welded into the chassis rail.

Finished the engine Xmember.

Got some stuff done today.

Wastegates go here.

Log manifolds, won't somebody think of the children!!

A bit more work done between Xmas activities.

Wastegates mounted. Passenger side turbo is all mounted and plumbed ready to go. Drivers side is a bit trickier due to the oil filter housing.

Rear underside.

Front underside.

Overhead view.

Intercooler and piping.

Just a bit of fiddling around today. Had to make an adaptor to fit a different oil filter as the original filter was enormous and fouled on the compressor cover.

I turned up some bits in the lathe and then tigged them together to rduce the thread on one end from 30mm to 24mm.

Awaiting exhaust parts to get that welded up tomorrow.

Did half the exhaust today. Would have got more done but had to remanufacture an alloy race sump for a mootec speedway car.

Dash is also out as I had to reroute the heater pipes and pull some unused wiring back through the firewall. Pro Ratchet is in position.

continued

.......Mostly finished the exhaust. The rear section is only tacked until the diff goes in.

Ground clearance.

Everything but the oil cap fits under the bonnet.

Did some more to the manifolds yesterday. Set up the bellcrank and 3 cables for the throttles.

The muppet that owns the car chopped up a spare subframe to allow the massive R230 diff to fit. Fits well, needs mounting plates welded in now. Then axles and driveshaft.

Have done some work on this.

Pulled the lower manifold to remove a no longer required heater pipe and sort out the knock sensor wiring(only using the inner two of the four).

Turned down the snout of the davies craig EWP to allow it to fit between bottom radiator tank and bits of engine and turbo.

Started the wiring yesterday, half of one of two looms wired. Need to consult Vipec tech to figure how to wire the injector pairs. Have figured out which Crank sensor to use with the help of Dale. Using the LH sensor which puts the two missing teeth at 180 BTDC instead of 0BTDC for the RH sensor.

Did some stuff yesterday and today on this shitter.

Refitted the rear subframe and new diff. Looks like a short R230 shaft will fit both sides so will either get another short shaft or shorten the long one. Exhaust needs some minor rerouting(which is why I didn't weld it up in the first place).

Knocked up a balance chamber for vac fittings, still needs to be bracketed yet.

Vids of it running. Bring tissues.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JZK252?ob=0

Comment

Holy moly... That's crazy, and an incredibly small V12, is each cylinder 200cc or something? lol

Since this is cut and pasted from another forum, could you put the link to the origional thread?

EDIT: Just realised you are the guy who did the work. Nice one!
      Last edited by Jenga; 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM.

Comment

You crazy neegga!
        This is so very awesome!
        sigpic
        Originally posted by MOOG
        RS Liberty is an option but they are old and shit.
        Originally posted by TomBrulinski
        mate, have you seen it? hahaha I bet $1000 the half cut is going on the 180sx.

Comment

Thats about 417cc per cylinder.

Also the same engine that was used in the Top Secret Supra
          I have a question. Where did you sauce the engine?

I would very much like one of those in my car!

Are you going to register your car?
          I make vinyl stickers!
          PM me for details
          Or Click here to visit my Facebook page

Originally posted by jmacman12
          Some say that his skin glows in the dark, because it's been vinyl wrapped and that his hands adhere to anything. All we know is that he's called the sticker stig!

Comment

Engines are becoming more common now, They are worth between $3-4k. I am doing another twin turbo into a Mercedes 190E in two weeks time. This will be backed by a T56 and run with a PS2000 though.

The Liberty is registered and will be fully legal in Qld. It is well within the capacity regulation for the weight of the car.

Comment

thats crazy
              sigpichttp://forums.mightycarmods.com/album.php?albumid=317

Comment

Originally posted by jzk25 View Post
                Engines are becoming more common now, They are worth between $3-4k. I am doing another twin turbo into a Mercedes 190E in two weeks time. This will be backed by a T56 and run with a PS2000 though.

The Liberty is registered and will be fully legal in Qld. It is well within the capacity regulation for the weight of the car.
                Do you reckon it can be done in an IS200?
                Fully legal registered in NSW?
                I make vinyl stickers!
                PM me for details

Some say that his skin glows in the dark, because it's been vinyl wrapped and that his hands adhere to anything. All we know is that he's called the sticker stig!

Comment

IS200 is a good choice for sure. The main sticking point with the 1GZ is the sump well is at the front and this cannot be changed without going to a dry sump which is not very practical dollar wise.
                  To get it properly legal in NSW you would have to use factory ECU's which is not a big deal but still a PITA as there is two plus I think there is a DBW controller as well.

I have had a late model engine pass emissions in NSW with a Vipec fitted. Just needed lots of cats and tuning.

It's hard to go past an LSx for an IS200 though, loads of grunt, easy to modify, easy to fit and easy to get passed because you are using an Australian engine and ecu.
                  Doesn't sound like a V12 though.

Comment

Originally posted by jzk25 View Post
                    IS200 is a good choice for sure. The main sticking point with the 1GZ is the sump well is at the front and this cannot be changed without going to a dry sump which is not very practical dollar wise.
                    To get it properly legal in NSW you would have to use factory ECU's which is not a big deal but still a PITA as there is two plus I think there is a DBW controller as well.

I have had a late model engine pass emissions in NSW with a Vipec fitted. Just needed lots of cats and tuning.

It's hard to go past an LSx for an IS200 though, loads of grunt, easy to modify, easy to fit and easy to get passed because you are using an Australian engine and ecu.
                    Doesn't sound like a V12 though.
                    I know there are a few IS200 with 1UZ engines, never seen a 3UZ in one tho.
                    But having a 1GZ is another story haha
                    How much does it weight compare to the 1UZ?

Front sump configuration should work well with the IS200.
                    I make vinyl stickers!
                    PM me for details

Comment

Oh mah gawd... that is INSANE.
                      Do Want.
                      Daily Driver - 1998 Saab 900
                      Daily Rider - 2011 Yamaha YZF-R125

Comment

You should hear his clips on youtube Sounded epic when it was running on 6cyl, then he realised and fixed it up so its on 12 and it sounds even more awesome.

Been following on SubyClub man, keep it up!

Comment

Been watching this for a while on SubyClub, Its bloody awesome!

E: just a bit sad that its going to someone who wants it Just to do skids.
                          Last edited by Ren-dog; 02-03-2012, 01:57 PM.
                          Regards - Samantha XOXO
                          2001 VX Commodore

Originally posted by brian_rs/ss
                          modded auto's are the tits. but i still love playing with my stick.

Comment

This is all new kinds of crazy!!! Good job man

Comment

GEEZUS CHRIST!

This is insanity! So much fabrication, such good work, its really impressive. Theres actually a guy putting one of these in a 190e, single GT38 turbo, i'll be sure to link him to this.

Insane work, just one question, will you be moving the air filters, or boxing them in?? In that location, i would imagine the ambient heat soak wouldnt be good for anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X