Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dala's Nissan NX2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update!

Broke some valvecover bolts while trying to tighten them down to make a better seal. Fail.

This was a great time to replace the bolts and give the valvecover a new look.

Starting to clean it up:

Yuck!

Painted (same color as my old GA16):

Ditched the recirc. hose and added a breather-baby-filter (will remove the redundant hose soon):

Replaced all the bolts:

Quick fix for rusty hood sand-spray, (don't want it to rust away until it's gonna get painted properly):

Thanks for today!

Comment

Nice! I don't remember the last was when I saw an NX.
      2009 Horizon Blue/Jet Black Mini R56 Cooper S 6spd
      2012 Pepper White/Jet Black Mini Cooper 6spd
      On the hunt for an e30 or 318ti Clubsport

Comment

How did you fit those headlights?
        Originally Posted by moss014
        Q: what do you call a hyundai at the top of a hill?
        A: a miracle.

Comment

its pretty hard. u gotta do alot of cutting
          sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

nice job mate, keep it up!

Comment

awesome build so far dude well done
              2002 Black Holden Commodore VX SERIES 2 S PACK

Comment

Got tired of the ripped old seats, and started thinking about replacements

Scored some almost new bucket seats!

Started fabbing up some rails from the N14 donor seats

Stay tuned, I'm about to start welding later this week

Comment

Nice work!

Engine looks very very nice and I think those seats will look great too.

I'm worried about the crankcase breather filter. Shouldn't that upset the ECU because you are venting unmetered amounts of air out from the engine?
                  in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! - Ash @ N12turbo forums

Comment

Originally posted by TurboZ_Dude View Post
                    Nice work!

Engine looks very very nice and I think those seats will look great too.

I'm worried about the crankcase breather filter. Shouldn't that upset the ECU because you are venting unmetered amounts of air out from the engine?
                    Thanks!

Regarding the filter, quite the opposite! The crankcase ventilates AFTER the MAF, so it adds extra unmetered air at WOT. The main reason I'm ditching it is to make the intake cleaner, since some oil also travels trough that hose when the engine get's old and worn.

Here is an article on Crankcase ventilation from SR20-forum, It should also apply to your engine
                    http://www.sr20-forum.com/informatio...d-edition.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dala View Post
                      Regarding the filter, quite the opposite! The crankcase ventilates AFTER the MAF, so it adds extra unmetered air at WOT. The main reason I'm ditching it is to make the intake cleaner, since some oil also travels trough that hose when the engine get's old and worn.
                      Oh! I see it a bit differently: all the air inside the crankcase is metered air because it is drawn in AFTER the MAF. If you are taking in air to the crankcase from the atmosphere (or venting it out) instead of drawing it in via the MAF, the crankcase returns more (or less) air into the intake than the ECU knows. When you recirculate the crankcase air, all the air used by the engine will pass through the AFM and the ECU will then calculate the AFR correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll have a look at the article as soon as I have time (I'm at work now so I can't sit around browsing car tech articles :P )

If you want to keep your intake boot clean, I would recommend fitting a catch can. Nothing personal about this; I do like how your engine looks with a breather filter. I actually use one myself (in addition to a catch can), but my engine is carburated so it has no metering problems.
                      Last edited by TurboZ_Dude; 26-06-2012, 10:15 PM.
                      in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! - Ash @ N12turbo forums

Comment

I took a look at the article. It seems that the article agrees with me:

venting WOT section to atmosphere on 1991-1999 engines with "breather" filter:
                        (image was here)
                        Effect on the following characteristics:
                        De-clutters the engine bay - Maybe
                        Simplifies crank case ventilation system - Maybe
                        Helps remove more oil from the air - No change
                        Help evacuate the crank case - No
                        Maintains or improves the stock flow capacity - Yes
                        Helps promote ring seal and prevent blow-by - No
                        Helps prevent oil smoke in exhaust - No
                        Helps prevent dip stick from popping out - No
                        Helps prevent oil leaks due to pressure - No
                        Helps keep intake track clean including throttle body - Yes
                        Helps keep intake manifold/plenum clean - Yes
                        Maintains or reduces amount of pollutants - No
                        Maintains prevention of un-metered air from entering the intake - No <-- this was what I was worried about.
                        Consensus: BAD IDEA

But if the engine still runs well, nevermind about my worries. I'm not criticizing you for doing that mod, just worried whether or not it will do good to your engine.

Comment

Looks great
                          sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

I don't know much about the NX, is the engine a SR20? It sure looks like it to me...
                            29 years old, and still a daily.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboZ_Dude View Post

But if the engine still runs well, nevermind about my worries. I'm not criticizing you for doing that mod, just worried whether or not it will do good to your engine.
                              There's no metered air in the VC/Crankcase. There's only some blow-by gases that create preassure.

I think it's routed back to the intake (stock) on the assumption that blow-by won't be significant enough to alter A/F ratios and it gives it another chance to be burned, thus reducing the engines harmful output.

The article should IMHO say that it's NO CHANGE instead of NO. (Yes some preassure from the flowing air inside the intake helps extract these gases and MAYBE help with ring seal abit)

Bottom line: the breather filter isn't the best idea, but it's better than an oily intake..

Originally posted by chrinsx View Post
                              I don't know much about the NX, is the engine a SR20? It sure looks like it to me...
                              Read first post? Yes, It's SR20 powered

Comment

Originally posted by Dala View Post
                                Bottom line: the breather filter isn't the best idea, but it's better than an oily intake..
                                Agreed. The engine isn't an oil burner and having oil on the inside of the throttle body doesn't improve emissions.

Comment

Working...
                                X