Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Custom VS Cockpit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Custom VS Cockpit

OOOKAIIIIII SO.

After a depressing weekend of cleaning glass out of my car and $550 worth of excess fee later, I decided to get off my ass for once and actually do something.
    I'm an avid gamer, and I've always wanted to build my own, custom, fulli-sik racing cockpit. A little while ago I bought a G27, which entertained me for about two seconds before I got bored of endlessly trying to mount it on stuff. So then, I bought an actual mounting set-up thingo, which was also great for about two seconds until the welds came undone on the top bar that mounts the actual wheel. I got some help in welding it back together, but after that I decided that I was gonna build a proper, full on realistic cockpit - one that I was actually happy with, and one that suited how I play.

SO. I just bought the dash, centre console and door trims out of a VS Acclaim. Pics to follow. The plan is to build a wooden surrounding for everything, and measure up the dash, console, etc to make a super-realistic housing for my G27. However, I decided that if I was gonna go to all this trouble, I may as well buy a decent wheel. So, once I've built the cockpit, I plan to upgrade to a Fanatec CSR, just so I'll be able to play Forza 4 and Horizon as well as LFS, City Car Driving, Netkar, etc.

So, my plan:

- Use the whole drivers side plus the centre console to make up my cockpit, which will be reinforced and mounted on wood
    - Mount the door trim on the side of my wooden 'box', cut around it and put it on hinges so it works like a door, maybe put a latch on the outside
    - Purchase chilicoke G27 adapter and mount a real wheel on it for the time being
    - Reverse mount my pedals
    - Mount my 400W home stereo into the car somehow, and fit the speakers in the usual car speaker position - eventually I'll buy a head unit, 6" splits and a sub

Things to purchase:

- G27 Wheel adapter
    - Eventually, a Fanatec CSR wheel
    - Lots of wood

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, or if someone has attempted this before, let me know And if you guys have custom cockpit set-ups, post up a pic, because I love seeing other ideas and how I can incorporate them into my own ideas.

I'll keep this updated and post up pics as things happen
    Originally posted by Meowmeow
    I sincerely hope whoever did this steps on a Lego.

sigpic

Join the Perth MCM Facebook pages for the latest meets and events in Perth:
    Perth Forum-Based MCM Group (Please read description before joining)
    Perth MCM Fan Page

Went to pick up all the gear last weekend, it hardly fit in the car...

Next day I started measuring putting the dash together and measuring everything up, ready to build.

And started to cut it in half - however, a handsaw was making this a pain in the ass to do properly and accurately...

(Apologies for the upside down picture, I'm a retard)

This was about the time where I decided I was gonna need some proper tools and a little planning, so off work I went, and grabbed me some goodies

After that I drew up an extremely rough plan of what I wanted the finished product to look like (it bend in the middle because I folded it, so now it's creased).

Then I started to PROPERLY cut the dash in half - using the reciprocater.

Then came the seats. To begin with, I bolted them to a piece of stainless steel and screwed that on to the base of the whole thing, but the stainless was waaaay too ****in' heavy!

So I re did the whole thing using some 4m long 30x75 timber pieces. To do this though, I first built up a frame along the sides with the help of my old man.

After that, we test fitted were we wanted the actual dash section to sit by using two offcuts from the base.

Then we screwed in the left hand side wall and fastened the dash to it - the next part of the build will be building up a proper frame to brace it all properly.

And that's about how it sits as of now. I have since pulled the dash off in order to move it back, as the driving position was pretty shit because of how far forward the dash was. Next step will be building up the frame, and then sorting out the centre console and mounting whatever else I want

EDIT: This build has been put on hold, as my G27 decided to shit itself this morning so I have no wheel to build my cockpit around, or actually use it with. Looks like that Fanatec CSR will be coming sooner than I expected
    nashie
    Frangipani
    Last edited by nashie; 07-07-2013, 01:48 PM.

sigpic

Perth MCM Fan Page

Comment

Reserved for pics

sigpic

Perth MCM Fan Page

Comment

Reserved for pics.

sigpic

Perth MCM Fan Page

Comment

Reserved for pics..

sigpic

Perth MCM Fan Page

Comment

Sorry about the picture size by the way on the first posts and any future posts, my phone has a pretty shitty camera, but that's just the easiest way to take photos of anything.

sigpic

Perth MCM Fan Page

Comment

this things wicked!

Comment

may be a VS commy interior but still way too cool for school.

Can't wait to see how you end up mounting it all
                sigpic
                SLAYING THE COVENANT SINCE 2001

Check out my ute build here, from bogan BNS ute to mad 4x4

Originally posted by bassdee
                shaking worse than michael j fox on a paint mixer.
                Originally posted by Hound
                Yeah guuize, im in bed with my missus too.. Palmela Handerson and I are having a great time.

Comment

HA! Thats superb! Simple but effective.

Get a cheap 5.1 setup to bolt to it and has some fun!
                  All posts by me are opinion unless stated otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by Vetrox View Post
                    HA! Thats superb! Simple but effective.

Get a cheap 5.1 setup to bolt to it and has some fun!
                    Yeah, that's the plan! Should have a bit of dosh to play with by the end of this week, so that's the first thing on my list

sigpic

Perth MCM Fan Page

Comment

Awesome build, cant wait to see this when its done
                      im more than happy to help you with questions about nearly all volkswagens
                      So what do you want to do, lift it up and throw it in the ditch?
                      Cars:
                      HI THERE!! : )
                      1973 VW beetle 1300 under a cover collecting dust
                      1999 VW new beetle 2.0, so its basically a MK4 gti

Comment

what nice setup..it makes me want to do one too.... i'm dreaming of a full motion simulator like the one bellow.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFCRh-anfRg

Comment

Looks like it'll be an awesome setup, saw something just like this a while back

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...pc-gaming.html

This where you got the inspiration from? or just coincidence? Either way awesome idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Lukey View Post
                            Looks like it'll be an awesome setup, saw something just like this a while back

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...pc-gaming.html

This where you got the inspiration from? or just coincidence? Either way awesome idea!
                            Just a coincidence man, haha - I was originally going to go with a BA XT Falcon interior, but the VS parts just came up so cheap! That's a mint setup though, that's what I want mine looking like when it's done. I actually got my inspiration off a Youtube video of some German guy who made a full on setup, I'll link the video when I'm at home off the school network.

Haven't really worked on it at all since my wheel died. Every time I go to work on it, I get bored and go for a drive instead, thinking of finishing it and then just selling it to be honest. I'm unsure.

sigpic

Perth MCM Fan Page

Comment

This is actually awesome! I know what you mean about the log g27 haha

Comment

Working...
                              X