Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all PC Wizards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all PC Wizards.

Hey guys,

So I am in dire need of some help. I recently bought my PC over from NZ. While in transit it seems to have formatted the hard drive, so I went and thought I'd splash out, I got a 2TB hard drive and a 120gb SSD, I also got Windows 8 installed on the SSD. But I seem to be having issues, the PC wouldn't shut down correctly, so I updated my Mobo BIOS and my chipset drivers, then when I went to update my GFX drivers, it doesn't want to work. It will always crash as it is installing and nothing will respond so I'll have to manually shut it down and re-boot it.

Anyone know why? I've been having A LOT of issues since getting the hard drives and windows 8 installed.

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
    Graphics card: Two Radeon 6850's (Crossfired, which funnily enough won't actually enable..)
    CPU: Intel Sandy bridge i7 2600K LGA155 (3.4ghz)
    SSD: Samsung 120GB 840 Series
    HDD: 1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRX-00DC0B0
    Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800)
    ^ This is running 4 cards in my Mobo.

Also a note on the ram, when I tried to get 16gb of RAM installed, I was told that it wasn't booting correctly with it installed, anyone know why?

Any help would be great, thanks guys.
    sigpic
    Flickr | My 1995 Nissan Silvia S14 Q's!

the booing/shutdown problem is a bit strange. I had a similar problem try backing up everything on ssd to to hdd, then format ssd and create new partion then load backup back onto hdd. Otherwise you may haverecieved a faulty part like I did. Also, with the ram, if its 2x 8gb or 4x 4gb, remove one stick of ram one by one, then boot. if it boots when a stick is removed, rub the pins on the ram (carefully of course) on some clothing or something then re-install and see if that fixes it. Hope this helps

Comment

Sounds to me like one of your video cards is not working properly causing a lot of error's. This can cause windows to freeze and even possibly corrupt files on the HDD.

Try running the system with only a single video card, update the video card bios, then do the same with the other video card installed. If they both update ok try updating the drivers with just one card installed.

Another thing to update would be the motherboard bios to improve compatibility with Windows 8. This can be found on the motherboards website.

Link Here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z...rt_Download_35

If all that works try to determine which of the cards is faulty by running 1 card for a week then alternating. If they work fine by themselves try looking further into why the Crossfire is not working. That could be the issue causing the error's.

Regarding the memory, The way the memory is accessed in new memory sticks requires them to be produced in "set's". These sets are only guaranteed to work by themselves by manufacturers, you can get lucky and find two sets of memory sticks that work well with each other but usually only if they were made by the same manufacturer at the same time. Another thing to watch about memory sticks is the motherboards memory compatibility list (usually found on the motherboards manufacture's website) sometimes called QVL for short (Qualified Vendor List)

Link Here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z...O/#support_QVL

When cleaning the pins of memory it is advised you use Isopropyl alcohol on a tissue to avoid static discharge which could destroy your memory sticks.
      Project Silkia a Nissan S15 Varietta convertible

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I ended up reverting to Windows 7 (Seeing as i already have the key for it) to check if it was an issue, it was fine, turns out my GFX Card was faulty, its being sent in this week as it should still be under warranty. MBoard Bios was updated when i had Windows 8 running, which fixed it. (I also bet it fixed the RAM issue) but i couldn't install any display drivers without it crashing my PC.

Just checked the QVL and 16gb of Corsair isn't on there, annoying considering the company i bought both the RAM & PC from assured me it would work fine. Time to get a refund!

Thanks for the help M.T.Robot & r34_GTR, you made it easier to fix the problems
        sigpic
        Flickr | My 1995 Nissan Silvia S14 Q's!

Comment

NEXT!

Any other PC problems for the PC WIZZARD!!!??

Lol
          Project Silkia a Nissan S15 Varietta convertible

Comment

Working...
          X