Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would you want a NA/USA MCM Meet to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sigpic
    Originally posted by Crazy2287
    Stephen, Are you stalking me?

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty View Post
      DETROIT!
      i dont know where it is or anything, but I here people get robbed there a lot, perfect place to take expensive clean cars.
      Just make sure to have one of these.. just in case.
      1982 Chevrolet K10 w/ mild 350cui & NP205 transfer case (My SHTF mobile)
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 RS w/ Y87 package
      2004 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 w/ 4.3L Boat anchor

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty View Post
        DETROIT!
        i dont know where it is or anything, but I here people get robbed there a lot, perfect place to take expensive clean cars.
        Must be nice for you Australians not having to worry about that

Comment

Winnipeg! Two birds in one stone. Can visit my grandmother and she can cook us home made ukrainian food and the meet.
          CELTIC FOOTBALL CLUB

TIOCFAIDH AR LA

Comment

Originally posted by Monzter View Post
            Must be nice for you Australians not having to worry about that
            Ha! *Ba-dum, tish!*
            1982 Chevrolet K10 w/ mild 350cui & NP205 transfer case (My SHTF mobile)
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 RS w/ Y87 package
            2004 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 w/ 4.3L Boat anchor

Comment

Originally posted by Celticbhoy View Post
              Winnipeg! Two birds in one stone. Can visit my grandmother and she can cook us home made ukrainian food and the meet.
              I approve this idea. I can probably round up a few more Ukrainian babas for the cause, although not mine sadly (hasn't been mobile enough to cook since her stroke). I do have a line on a Church group that pumps out perogies by the box, however.

Comment

Originally posted by ADowbs View Post
                I approve this idea. I can probably round up a few more Ukrainian babas for the cause, although not mine sadly (hasn't been mobile enough to cook since her stroke). I do have a line on a Church group that pumps out perogies by the box, however.
                Sorry to hear that man. Do you speak Ukrainian at all?
                CELTIC FOOTBALL CLUB

TIOCFAIDH AR LA

Comment

Originally posted by Celticbhoy View Post
                  Sorry to hear that man. Do you speak Ukrainian at all?
                  Unfortunately ya neznayu, I was always meaning to learn but never got around to it. Makes for interesting conversations with my Dido, who has an exceptionally thick old country accent when he speaks in English. I know enough to get by, but it's very limited. One day I'll get my dad to teach me some more, he's fluent.

Comment

Anywhere in michigan. Where else would you go with an interest in cars?

EDIT: whoops, read the thread title wrong. Figured this was asking where an MCM american special would be done. MY MISTAKE.

Wherever Laguna Seca is.
                    Last edited by mutton_wizard; 13-05-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      Obvious things would be some sort of central location, preferably near a track or great driving road, so places like socal and NY arent very feasible, due to how far some members would have to travel. Anyone have any suggestions for the next MCM NA/USA meet?

Accidently hit enter before i was done, can a mod edit the title to say NA/USA? Thanks.
                      Central to what though? Most people live near the coasts. My own bias says Laguna Seca. You can tour Bruce Canepa's garage while you're out there.

Comment

Originally posted by FortKid View Post
                        I am partial to Watkins Glen NY...because it is closest to me. lol
                        Another thought:
                        Corvettes at Carlisle in PA. A HUGE gathering of corvettes that happens around the end of August.
                        If you want to talk corvettes, I live 30 minutes from Bowling Green KY.
                        Where they make the things.

Great museum, factory tour.

Not too much for driving roads. Need to go to more east in ky. You have awesome countryside winding through the horse farms.
                        Or, you have mountain roads.

Kentucky would actually be a decent place.
                        (please...no meets way out west. California has more than their fair share of car meets)

Highway 65 runs right through my town. The highway starts almost at the Gulf of Mexico (I take it when I go to Florida)
                        It also cuts through Birmingham Alabama, Nashville TN, Louisville KY, Indianapolis IN, and even Chicago IL.

It's just about smack dab in the middle of everything east of Missouri (not to leave you St. Louis people out)

I guess I'm biased, but it makes at least a little sense.

Comment

This is how I see the debate over the details of the North America meet location:

Look at the size of North America...you're not going to please everyone, there is no chance.

The dispersion of members across this continent is extremely spread out and there are few and far between. Based on my personal observations I have noted where the majority of members seem to reside:

Large concentration in the eastern seaboard.
                          Mild concentration in western Canada.
                          Small concentration in south eastern USA.
                          Select few in south western USA.
                          Select few in Alaska USA.

Therefore it would make sense to me to have a meet in any of the four locations(not alaska, sorry guys) Having a neutral rendez vous point is stupid, as nobody knows the area and you miss out on local secrets and hotspots just so everybody can feel better about all having to travel a long distance.

There is another major problem, it's commitment. This is the internet and interest might seem at an all time high when asking for a north american meet but when it comes down to actually asking members whether they will come, you then start to see their true colors. I mean look at this years MCM NA meet. I made the call months ago, yet how many members are coming? Very few.

When it comes to actually having to spend time and money very few people want to make that commitment because it's "too expensive" or "too far" or whatever. They are content with the fact knowing that they are being included in the MCM family IRL, even if they don't attend since MCM meets are now being held on NA soil. This is extremely frustrating for organizers like myself as in order to guarantee everyone an awesome stay, I need to make numbers for things.

The reason I say that you need to spend time and money, is because it WILL be expensive no matter where the meet is held. Hell, I'm forking out hundreds of dollars of cash and my own corporate reputation for the meet, ASIDE from what the members have to pay/do.

Members will travel from far away to attend therefore having a mere "car meet" is a waste of time and money on everyones end, which is why a sort of mini vacation, which incorporates the car scene and MCM community makes so much more sense in every way.

Talking about this right now though, is a little insulting to be frank, considering everyone here has known about the MCM NA meet THIS YEAR for a while yet virtually none of you are coming or are even trying except for a few of you.

We'll revisit this sometime next year when it's actually relevant.
                          sigpic
                          My 2008.5 Mazda Axela GT
                          Click here for the MCM Shop
                          Have you seen the MCM WIKI page? If not, click here!
                          "Limit's, like fears are often an illusion"
                          -Michael Jordan

Comment

CALI. Specifically the Bay Area
                            1997 Limited Toyota 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by jmacman12 View Post
                              This is how I see the debate over the details of the North America meet location:

Look at the size of North America...you're not going to please everyone, there is no chance.

The dispersion of members across this continent is extremely spread out and there are few and far between. Based on my personal observations I have noted where the majority of members seem to reside:

Large concentration in the eastern seaboard.
                              Mild concentration in western Canada.
                              Small concentration in south eastern USA.
                              Select few in south western USA.
                              Select few in Alaska USA.

Therefore it would make sense to me to have a meet in any of the four locations(not alaska, sorry guys) Having a neutral rendez vous point is stupid, as nobody knows the area and you miss out on local secrets and hotspots just so everybody can feel better about all having to travel a long distance.

There is another major problem, it's commitment. This is the internet and interest might seem at an all time high when asking for a north american meet but when it comes down to actually asking members whether they will come, you then start to see their true colors. I mean look at this years MCM NA meet. I made the call months ago, yet how many members are coming? Very few.

When it comes to actually having to spend time and money very few people want to make that commitment because it's "too expensive" or "too far" or whatever. They are content with the fact knowing that they are being included in the MCM family IRL, even if they don't attend since MCM meets are now being held on NA soil. This is extremely frustrating for organizers like myself as in order to guarantee everyone an awesome stay, I need to make numbers for things.

The reason I say that you need to spend time and money, is because it WILL be expensive no matter where the meet is held. Hell, I'm forking out hundreds of dollars of cash and my own corporate reputation for the meet, ASIDE from what the members have to pay/do.

Members will travel from far away to attend therefore having a mere "car meet" is a waste of time and money on everyones end, which is why a sort of mini vacation, which incorporates the car scene and MCM community makes so much more sense in every way.

Talking about this right now though, is a little insulting to be frank, considering everyone here has known about the MCM NA meet THIS YEAR for a while yet virtually none of you are coming or are even trying except for a few of you.

We'll revisit this sometime next year when it's actually relevant.
                              Well said Jmac. To plan a car meet in a territory that is so big is a huge responsibility, especially when you have international members coming out to attend. It is nothing to be taken lightly. I was a little surprised about the turnout myself to be honest, I mean, I was one of the first to show interest in this and I don't even live on the same continent. Everyone understands that money and time off is always a burden and I think that's why Jmac announced this months in advance. No one wants members to break their banks to attend a damn MCM forum meeting, but threads like this asking where one should be held when there is already one that was announced months ago is a little insulting to Jmac and myself personally.

Like Jmac said, if an event for MCM is held outside of Marty and Moogs country of Australia, then it would be more like a mini vacation rather then a meet. Sure there would be car stuff involved, but the main point would be a group of like minded people getting together to enjoy a few days of relaxing and having fun together. I mean Jesh, if I just wanted to see some "Hot" cars or "Awesome" tracks, then I would never leave Japan, its the community that I am interested in. Location has no bearing to me.

Just my 2c

Comment

It comes down to everyone talking about a meet, planning to go, but when someone such as Jmac actually plans it, people back out or can't come. My Las Vegas post was obviously not a serious one, as planning another N/A meet when there is one coming up is pointless. Focus on the task at hand, not this new one that i'm sure actually wont happen anyways.

Why? OP has since left mcmforums.
                                Last edited by Monzter; 01-06-2012, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X