Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something a little different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something a little different

Ok. Yes. Its a Magna.

Now that we're past that I can go on to explain that although it started off life as TF Altera LS with the 3.0l V6 and 4sp auto it now has parts off a TF, TH, TJ Sports & VRX, TJ Ralliart, KH Verada, KJ Verada.

More mods are on the way - HM headers, foglights and inserts (long overdue), Boges shocks (long overdue), whiteline rear swaybar, ralliart\380 cams and a trip to SKR in S.A for dyno tuning.

Current Ride:
    1998 TF Magna Altera LS

Engine Hardware:
    3.5L 6G74 SOHC 24 Valve V6 (TJ series 2 - No. 6 cams) - Engine conversion

Transmission:
    Manual

Engine Modifications:
    2x Lukey Turbo Exhausts
    2x 3.5in Straight Cut Tips
    K&N Panel Filter
    Ralliart flash tune

Driveline Modifications:
    Manual Conversion
    RPW Short Shift Kit
    Exedy Clutch Kit

Brake Modifications:
    DBA Street Series Slotted Rotors
    QFM HPX Front Pads
    QFM Super X Rear Pads

Suspension Modifications:
    Pedders SportRyder Springs
    Boges Sport Shocks

Wheels & Tyre Modifications:
    Wheels: 18" HP Design ONYX
    Tyres: Hankook Ventus V8RS 235/40/R18 XL

Body Modifications:
    Two Piece Parabolic Headlights
    Narva Blue Power +90 H7s
    Calibre 4500k H1s
    380 Clear side indicators
    TH Magna front bumper with VRX Front Bar
    Ralliart Side Skirts
    Letterbox grille, mesh lined with chrome Mitsubishi badge
    380 Washer Nozzles
    KF Verada tail light and boot lid lights.
    Diamante chrome garnish

Interior Modifications:
    VRX black carpet and lower door card carpet
    Black dash and door cards
    Climate Control conversion
    Trip computer conversion
    TJ Sports seats and door inserts
    TJ Sports series 1 white cluster
    Verada Bootlid liner
    Leather gearshift boot

In Car Entertainment:
    H/U: Clarion DXZ786USB Single Din H/U
    Fronts: Focal 165V1 Splits
    Rears: JVC CS-V6945 6x9s
    Subs: 2x Clarion DP12XS 12inch 600w subs in custom carpeted enclosure
    Amps: Clarion APX1300 Monoblock
    Focal FP2.75 Amp

Shots taken are pre manual conversion and have the old seats, dash, doorcards and inserts, climate control and trip computer. New interior has the EL dials and neons removed. New pics up soon.
    Last edited by Nemesis; 08-05-2012, 03:35 PM.
    My Ride - TF Altera LS/VRX/Verada/Ralliart 3.5 Manual Bitsa

i like how you said you removed the neons..... personally i hate magna's. i would rather push tank to work everyday than drive a magna.... personal opinion though.

rims are nice too......
    i asked god for a bike and soon realized god doesnt work that way. so i stole a bike and asked for forgivness,
    the early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    sex is not the answer, sex is the question, yes is the answer.

Comment

The grille looks nicer than most Magna's you see around. The rims suit it, but your calipers are the wrong colour! :P

Comment

if you don paint the calipers red, there will be kilowatts flowing freely off your rims :S
        i asked god for a bike and soon realized god doesnt work that way. so i stole a bike and asked for forgivness,
        the early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
        sex is not the answer, sex is the question, yes is the answer.

Comment

I like! These vintage Magna's are the best looking IMO. The inside is a good place as well I find.

Not big on the wheels, no offense - I've just seen them on so, so many cars!

How much power you hoping to make with the tune?

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

The calipers were and are still that familiar brake dust gray (I think I had Bendix Ultimates at the time. NEVER AGAIN!). I haven't yet had the chance to paint them yet but they will be painted silver eventually.

As for the power output? A few other members on AMC with similar cars with basic intake\exhaust mods made around the mid 120kw mark at the wheels. Members with cams, tune, full exhaust etc made around the 137-139kw mark at the wheels - which is just fine for a daily driver\cruiser and not bad considering its SOHC with no variable valve timing\cam timing.

The tuner Steve Knight runs Steve Knight Racetech in Adelaide and is well known amongst the Evo tuning community and the Mitsubishi tuning community in general; though he has numerous GTRs and various other models in his workshop. He was an engineer at MMAL HQ Tonsley Park and used to race in the old GTP and now IPRA divisions. Fair to say the guy knows his stuff.
            Last edited by Nemesis; 10-10-2010, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I like it - Anyone who has never driven one of these model Magna's need to check them out. Surprisingly powerful and very comfortable. Looks like you've put a lot of work into mate. Welcome!
              MCM MAGAZINE ISSUE 5 OUT NOW. Have you got a copy yet? Mighty Car Mods Magazine

Comment

not usually a fan, but its been well executed, not feeling the rims for the same reasonm as rake, thy have been done to death, but hey, its your car.
                some ce28n or cr Kai would set it off nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by MOOG View Post
                  I like it - Anyone who has never driven one of these model Magna's need to check them out. Surprisingly powerful and very comfortable.
                  +1.

120-140kw at the wheels (mods pending) is quite respectable.

The 380's were a pretty impressive car too with some go. It's a shame Mitsubishi dropped them. I reckon it was the notorious reliability problems of the older Magnas (which luurrrve to burn oil) and the fact a Large family class car was FWD, with a V6 being a pain in the rear to work on, really cut into the popularity of these cars. If Mitsu sorted the reliability/running of the motor, pulled their finger out and made it RWD, using the same tried-and-true recipie of your Aussie/American cars, I reckon it would have had a much greater chance of survival.

Comment

that looks like a galant ( which I'm guessing is a manga everywhere else ) I'm not a huge fan but you did a good job w/it never seen those wheels before but i do live in new york interior accually looks nice unlike the galants here
                    sigpic

Comment

Similar. The Magna's are (were?) bigger, built for the Aust market, and manufactured locally.

Edit: Maybe not! > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Diamante
                      Last edited by Rake; 10-10-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Looking good.

I wouldve went for the Ralliart magna look though.
                        My Lancer will one day become an Evo.

Comment

they were locally made, but they are the similar in construction to the jap , euro and us spec cars.

Comment

Got a few more recent pics. Quality isn't the best but should be ok for viewing.

Last edited by Nemesis; 18-04-2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Thats looking hot man
                              Jay
                              GTAusMotive

2008 Honda Civic Type R, Honda Accord Euro CL9
                              1991 Honda Civic Gli, 1977 Honda Civic 2 Speed Hondamatic Auto, Mini-Me Ed Civic

Comment

Working...
                              X