Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 Mustang LX --- Currently the Red Turd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Mustang LX --- Currently the Red Turd

So what I got:
    1988 Mustang LX Convertible (AKA Foxbody) (Classic You are probably thinking to yourself you would be wrong see below!)
    2.3l 4 Cylinder putting out a blistering 88 Hp! (yup thats right -- half the engine is missing!)
    5 Speed Manual (If it was auto I think it would go backwards on hills as it stands now I have to downshift to 3rd @ 50 mph)
    Been Garaged in a barn for almost 7 years

Whats wrong with it:
    Top canvas is shot.
    Hood and trunk faded / oxidized
    Raccoon or cat was living in it, smells like pee and interior seats are ripped or chewed in a few places
    Broke a Break line on the way to my house / garage
    no stereo but it doesn't matter because you have that wonderfully crappy 4 banger sound to listen to....

Stay tuned as I turn this into my summer ride / project car

These are the photos from the craigslist ad: (he was asking 1200, I paid 900)
    salephoto1.jpgsalephoto2.jpgsalephoto3.jpg
    Last edited by chunk351; 27-05-2012, 09:53 AM.
    my current project:
    The red turd

So here is what is planned for this:
    1.) Vacuum & Steam Clean interior (Check!)
    2.) Compound and buff hood and trunk (Started -- hood is looking good now)

On order:
    New Top with all the trim including headliner ($299) -- going with black!
    Semi custom black grey and red seat covers for front and back ($40)

I have the stereo wired just need to find the right dash insert and the speakers sound like the car has its balls cut off....I'll get to those eventually.

I forgot to mention in the whats wrong column that it also has a flat and is running on the spare -- taking the flat to a shop to see if it can be repaired.

The goal is to get this presentable enough to drive it this summer, THEN this winter try to find a wrecked donor car with either the 2.3l turbo (Thunderbird Turbo Coupe) or the classic 5.0 (4.9l FI)
    my current project:
    The red turd

Comment

ncie car dude, didn't know they made mustangs in 4cyl
      2002 Black Holden Commodore VX SERIES 2 S PACK

Comment

Originally posted by Holden Vx View Post
        ncie car dude, didn't know they made mustangs in 4cyl
        They made like 18000 convertibles that year, of which probably 5000 were 4 bangers

detailed specs:
        http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca..._2_3l_efi.html

apparently I was wrong and it produces 90hp not 88hp, that year must have had MCM's Red Caliper mod for the extra poweh! (but whatever that mod gives its cut in half because this car comes with rear drums ftw!)

pay special attention to the performance aspects of the stock car:
        0-100 km/h (s): 15.1
        0-160 km/h (s): CANT GO THIS FAST OR IT WILL TURN INTO A DELOREAN AND GO BACK IN TIME
        0-60 mph (s): 14.1

If you want to read something interesting about the mustangs and ford in its infinite wisdom, look at the story of the SVO mustang that was supposed to be released in 1987. Apparently they were going to release a turbo 4cyl that produced more hp than the V8 so they killed the SVO department. If I can find a workable thunderbird turbo coupe wreck (has the same engine as the original mustang svo had) I will go the ultimate sleeper route with a turbo producing 190hp stock
        my current project:
        The red turd

Comment

I realized I posted this in the wrong forum, please move to Build Threads thanks mods!

so I should have taken a close up before I started but the hood was done yesterday, tonight I tackled the trunk lid or as you aussies call it, the boot!

You can see in this picture the before and after, bottom section is before and top section is after...also note the protected paint section where a ribbon sticker had adorned the trunk....probably from 2001-02 time frame
          IMG_20120418_190313.jpg

here is another one with the trunk half done
          and the products I used (ultimate compound by maguires, with quick detailer from mothers, turtle wax
          IMG_20120418_190302.jpg

and one with the trunk all done
          IMG_20120418_194151.jpg
          my current project:
          The red turd

Comment

>convertible fox body

DEAR GOD. HOW ARE YOU NOT SCARED FOR YOUR LIFE? THOSE THINGS TWIST MORE THAN EGG NOODLES.

Seriously. Get a roll bar. Your car is REALLY unsafe.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              >convertible fox body

DEAR GOD. HOW ARE YOU NOT SCARED FOR YOUR LIFE? THOSE THINGS TWIST MORE THAN EGG NOODLES.

Seriously. Get a roll bar. Your car is REALLY unsafe.
              the thing passes the shoe test I need to buy a bigger jack to get under it my current floor jack just barely gets the tires in the air I highly doubt it will flip, no need for roll bar not planning on racing it, gonna be a cruiser
              my current project:
              The red turd

Comment

If someone hits you and your car rolls, it's a foot ontop of a can I think is what he's trying to say. Nice car, cleaning up well
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Nah, he likes to think he's an automotive engineer when on the forums lol

Nice find, for $900 you can't go wrong! Seems like it's in fairly good shape aswell!

Comment

I'm serious dude, i've personally seen one of these literally twist about 10 deg.

If you're going to do any performance mods, get a cage for it. I'm sure someone makes full cages that a pre welded for fox bodies, the coupe version of it is okay, but the convertible shouldn't be legal.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      I'm serious dude, i've personally seen one of these literally twist about 10 deg.

If you're going to do any performance mods, get a cage for it. I'm sure someone makes full cages that a pre welded for fox bodies, the coupe version of it is okay, but the convertible shouldn't be legal.
                      do you wear a helmet when you walk outside? or wear a respirator mask? You cannot prevent all bad things.

This car is perfectly safe to 1980's standards. Would you survive a rollover crash any better in any other convertible from the same era any better? I want a classic convertible, this was cheap and fits the bill.

Maybe I should buy this car:

so thats the end of this safety lecture ok kids? I am a firefighter and I have seen a few wrecks its never pretty.
                      Last edited by chunk351; 20-04-2012, 01:09 PM.
                      my current project:
                      The red turd

Comment

Bought some new wheels for it on craigslist for $100

car came with 14" im going up to 15"

original wheels are steel with plasic? outsides (not removable hub caps) these are aluminum should see a performance gain from reducing the weight of the wheels

here are some pics

5Ge5Z25F63G73L93H4c3v69556dca40ba159f.jpg5H35S65M53K53L93Nac3v1f8f503becc91ebf.jpg

now a couple of questions:
                        1.) will this affect my speedometer, MPG, transmission?
                        2.) what color should I paint them? I am thinking chrome (if I can't polish out those blemishes)
                        my current project:
                        The red turd

Comment

Started the seat cover installation...found a dead mouse + mouse nest so will be cleaning that mess before I can continue, drivers seat is done, more pics will follow once I get everything clean and get the rest of the covers installed

IMG_20120426_111306.jpgIMG_20120426_114535.jpgIMG_20120426_125126.jpgIMG_20120426_125136.jpg
                          my current project:
                          The red turd

Comment

That's some find dude. I had never even heard of a 4-banger Foxbody until I read your thread. I've got my fingers crossed for that 2.3l turbo, but good luck with your build regardless! I've been in love with Foxbody Mustangs for as long as I can remember

Comment

Well the mouse problem has been taken care of and the seat covers are on...

looks much better
                              IMG_20120428_180536.jpgIMG_20120428_180521.jpgIMG_20120428_180526.jpg

Now I have to hope for some warm weather next weekend (it needs to be 70+ degrees out) to put on the top. I am going to attempt to take the front to rear brake line that I broke off tomorrow and see if I can get another.

Also as a note, something I forgot and relearned:
                              After I took the car cover off today I noticed the hood and trunk looked like ass again!

its single stage red paint...meaning no clear coat, even with wax it was still oxidizing...tomorrow we try some old school glaze and polymer finish.
                              my current project:
                              The red turd

Comment

Working...
                              X