Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rick's EP3 Civic Type R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick's EP3 Civic Type R

Well after reading through quite a few of these threads I thought it was about time I started my own.
    Here it is a few days after buying it.

It had 62k miles on it with a full Honda history and was pretty much mint condition apart from a few bits of trim wear inside.
    Originally I intended to keep it standard but that didn't really happen. The first mod was wind deflectors and a brushed aluminium vinyl wrap for the dash to hide the wear followed up by an aluminium oil cap and battery tie from my brother last Christmas.
    After that came a 2.5" b-pipe/centre pipe for the exhaust which kick started the mods, Next up was a Spoon N1 replica back box and a pair of ear plugs lol

After that were the wheels. Evo 8 Enkei's powder coated midnight blue.

I left it like this for a couple of months until I'd stopped feeling the power/torque gains from the exhaust mod and decided it was time for an induction kit.
    It was just at that time when I spotted an ebay bargin. An ITG Maxogen for £150 rather than the £400 they cost new. It was a bit of a pain to fit with no instructions for the air feed but I got there in the end.

That brings us up to today when I fitted the blue silicone intake hose, JDM coin holder (it's all about those JDM points y0!) and rear tow ring.

I can't make my mind up about the tow ring. It went on wonky when I fitted it so I've taken it off until I get some washers to line it up.

Last up I suppose I should stick up a pic of the inside as it's the only place I've not pictured and a quick vid to show why I mentioned ear plugs earlier.

http://youtu.be/jffqai6PWic
    Rick
    Frangipani
    Last edited by Rick; 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM.

clean as dude, weird spot to have gear knob :O
    2002 Black Holden Commodore VX SERIES 2 S PACK

Comment

Originally posted by Holden Vx View Post
      Thats factory.. Even the normal hatch Civic (not type R) has it there. Its actually not too bad of a spot since you don't have to put your hand all the way down to change gears. Meaning more time that you can have your hands on the steering wheel.

On that though..... Nice looking EP3 Looks nice and clean, always liked the EP3 but since they're an Import only here I decided not to get one. Also having the FN2R in the family we don't really need 2 Type R civics.... well Yet anyway

I'm not a huge fan of replica gear, but the exhaust sounds nice as, very spoon like. Also looks good on there. Rest of the car looks sweet, what other plans do you have for it? So much potential from the K20 and the EP3R chassis.
      Jay
      GTAusMotive

2008 Honda Civic Type R, Honda Accord Euro CL9
      1991 Honda Civic Gli, 1977 Honda Civic 2 Speed Hondamatic Auto, Mini-Me Ed Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Holden Vx View Post
        Its easy to drive. I thought that the 1st time i drove one. It seams to seat alot closer to the steering wheel. But i found it to be the same. Very minimal diffrence.

Also i agree with milkchicken. The replicas youve went with are mm.
        id be changing the exhaust and intake. Some replicas are ok. Like Tegwia. But ive heard the fake spoon axel back. and there really pingy and droony
        Mighty Jdm Dc2R, 128.8kw Atw @ 1065kg - Running 13.875 @ 100.26 mph
        Youtube JDMTEGR
        http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...JDM-Conversion

Comment

Maaaad!!! That is a clean build keep us posted. When your say that you are getting a induction kit, do you mean that you are going with forced induction???
          sigpic

Comment

My current plans are.
            Handling:
            30mm lowering springs or possibly coilovers
            Rear adjustable camber arms, Front adjustable camber bolts
            Progress 24mm rear ARB
            JDM from ARB
            Braces everywhere.

Brakes:
            New brembo discs front and back
            Ferodo DS2500 pads on the front, Honda on the back
            Braided brake hoses
            Dot 4 brake fluid

Exterior/Cosmetic:
            Mugen front splitter
            Power coat/paint the wheels white
            Roll the rear arches to get the evo wheels under them when it's lowered
            Possibly a carbon bonnet, Mine is chipped to hell and needs a respray.
            Respray the rocker cover, I'm thinking Spoon yellow
            Tidy up the engine bay

Interior:
            Buddyclub fixed back seat
            Skunk2 weighted gear knob
            Short shifter kit

Engine:
            RBC inlet manifold
            decat exhaust manifold
            J's Racing or Toda cat back exhaust
            Hondata Kpro ECU

This little lot will take quite a while though as I'm only trying to spend about 150-200 a month on the car.
            Originally posted by milkchicken View Post
            Thats factory.. Even the normal hatch Civic (not type R) has it there. Its actually not too bad of a spot since you don't have to put your hand all the way down to change gears. Meaning more time that you can have your hands on the steering wheel.

On that though..... Nice looking EP3 Looks nice and clean, always liked the EP3 but since they're an Import only here I decided not to get one. Also having the FN2R in the family we don't really need 2 Type R civics.... well Yet anyway

I'm not a huge fan of replica gear, but the exhaust sounds nice as, very spoon like. Also looks good on there. Rest of the car looks sweet, what other plans do you have for it? So much potential from the K20 and the EP3R chassis.
            There's always room for more Type Rs. I've been looking at an EK9 for the track to share with my brother but I just don't have the space to store it.
            I'd prefer to have genuine gear but I'm on a budget so where the replicas are good quality I'm going for those.

Originally posted by TOMMY View Post
            Maaaad!!! That is a clean build keep us posted. When your say that you are getting a induction kit, do you mean that you are going with forced induction???
            The induction kit is the ITG carbon fibre air box. Forced induction would be nice but I don't think it's worth doing on these Civics any more. For the price fitting a turbo or super charger and getting it set up I could just sell the Civic and get something with a turbo from the factory.
            My current plans for the engine should see me around the 250bhp mark and that's more than enough for a FWD. Much more and I'd have to put some serious though into a LSD.
            Rick
            Frangipani
            Last edited by Rick; 08-06-2012, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
              The induction kit is the ITG carbon fibre air box. Forced induction would be nice but I don't think it's worth doing on these Civics any more. For the price fitting a turbo or super charger and getting it set up I could just sell the Civic and get something with a turbo from the factory.
              My current plans for the engine should see me around the 250bhp mark and that's more than enough for a FWD. Much more and I'd have to put some serious though into a LSD.
              Yes. I'm proud of you. In my opinion, installing forced induction on a V-Tec is like deep-frying whole black truffles. It completely differs the point of the car. A K20 V-Tec is designed to be a 100% brilliant NA engine, and it should be kept that way. That is the reason that I'm disappointed with Honda's new 2013 Civic Type R. They put in a 2L engine, then chuck on a turbo so it produces 210HP, which is bascially the same as a normal K20A. Keep your magnificent EP3 NA, and I'll be your friend forever
              sigpic

Comment

Nice car man. This car, performance and look the car is a mouth watering. Wish I am a rich kid so that I can drive this car when Im on my P's. One question though, why purple rims?
                Its pain to see MCM forum turns out this way

Comment

Originally posted by DC5 Nick View Post
                  Nice car man. This car, performance and look the car is a mouth watering. Wish I am a rich kid so that I can drive this car when Im on my P's. One question though, why purple rims?
                  Hmmm yeah. I personally think that the stock rims look better. Maybe you could put on RB1 Absolute rims. They are made by Enkei and IMO, the best looking rims Honda as ever made

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DC5 Nick View Post
                    Well technically they're midnight blue. When they're clean and the sun is out they do look blue, not that both of those thing happen at the same time over here in the UK.
                    I'm getting a little bored of the colour now so getting them re painted or powder coated is high on my job list. Also I caught a curb a while back and wrecked one but I don't have a clue what paint will match up so something easy to match will be a better idea.

Yes. I'm proud of you. In my opinion, installing forced induction on a V-Tec is like deep-frying whole black truffles. It completely differs the point of the car. A K20 V-Tec is designed to be a 100% brilliant NA engine, and it should be kept that way. That is the reason that I'm disappointed with Honda's new 2013 Civic Type R. They put in a 2L engine, then chuck on a turbo so it produces 210HP, which is bascially the same as a normal K20A. Keep your magnificent EP3 NA, and I'll be your friend forever
                    So true. I'm really not a fan of the new Type R either. It's lost all it's charm now they've added back doors and a turbo. May as well get a VW Golf or Seat Leon. The whole reason you get a Honda Type R is to have that screaming VTEC and no turbo bollocks to deal with.
                    I do have to say that they look good with the BTCC kit on them but they just don't sound right.
                    Rick
                    Frangipani
                    Last edited by Rick; 10-12-2012, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Judging by that new photo of the rims, I swear I can see a Mitsubishi centre cap. What Mitsubishi did these rims come off????
                      sigpic

Comment

Judging by that new photo of the rims, I swear I can see a Mitsubishi centre cap. What Mitsubishi did these rims come off????
                        If you re-read Rick's first post, "Evo 8 Enkei's...".

Nice Civic Rick!
                        I'd favour the EP3R more than the FN2R!

Honda <3!
                        Last edited by 3K9; 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM.

Comment

That's some mean gutter rash.
                          Derp.

Comment

Well I've not been doing much to my car lately but yesterday I got bored and carbon wrapped a few bits while I had some spare vinyl laying around.

I did my tow ring too and fitted that again. I'm still not sure on it but it looks better than it did in plain blue.

Oh and I picked up these to fit. I'm just waiting until I got the spare money for new front discs/rotors and pads before I fit them.

Comment

Wow, I didn't notice I'd had those brake lines sat around for 5 months. Well they're still not on but I did get these today to go with them. Drilled and grooved Brembo discs front and back with matching Brembo pads.

Just got to wait for a dry day to get them put on or if I don't get around to it I'll get them put on next month when the car is in for its MOT.

Comment

Working...
                              X