Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superacerc's 09 Forester XT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superacerc's 09 Forester XT

I decided to finally make a member's ride thread and I'm just copying this from the other forum I'm a member of.
    Hope you guys enjoy.
    Accomplishments so far:

Engine Mods:

-stage 2 built block from awdtuning, dallas tx.
    -Cobb UNcatted DP (rallysportdirect.com)
    -grimmspeed ceramic uppipe (rallysportdirect.com)
    -Pro tune via Cobb AP and Ray at TurboTEKTuning (Best mod so far!)
    -Removed Snorkus (Me)
    -Removed Resonator and inserted straight 2.5" dia. Stainless Pipe (Meinike)
    -PTP turbo blanket (PTP in austin)
    -lava heat wrap on Down pipe in engine bay. (PTP in austin)
    -GFB Hybrid Blow off/bypass valve (rallysportdirect.com)
    -Walboro 255lph fuel pump (rallysportdirect.com)
    -GRIMMSPEED 3 port EBCS (turbotektuning.com)
    -TD05 20g 8cm
    (Kinugawa)
    -TMIC (Fast motorsports) (turbotektuning.com)
    -1000cc BOSCH injectors (turbotektuning.com)
    -Grimmspeed Lightweight pulley (Grimmspeed.com)
    -1 step colder NGK plugs (ray@turbotektuning.com)
    -agency power equal lengthheader
    -CNT 3" catback exhaust , single exit
    -AEM Cold air intake

Suspension mods:

-22mm Whiteline front swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
    -22mm Whiteline rear swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
    -kartboy aluminium endlinks (rallysportdirect.com)
    -swift sport springs (SF.org member)

Drivetrain mods:

-rallitek soft tranny mount bushing

Comfort/Utility mods:

-New Michelins (MXM4) (Tiremax, Humble tx)
    -Insulated Car with RAAMAT and Ensolyte (RAAMAT.com)
    -Rubber Undercoated the entire underside with 3M Rubberized Undercoating (Autozone)
    -Tinted front windows to match rear factory tint (Solar Shade Humble, tx)
    -JVC Head Unit (SF.org member)
    -Sylvania silverstar ultra lowbeams
    -THULE Sidekick rooftop carrier(amazon.com)
    -53" crossbars(amazon.com)
    -gorilla offroad mudflaps (gorillaoffroad.com)
    -Custom XTi badges from Austrailia

Supporting Mods:
    -aem uego wideband O2 kit and gauge
    -prosport sti style boost gauge
    -smy gauge cluster
    -wrx gauges(ebay)

Style/look mods:
    -lamin-x gunsmoke rear tail tint (lamin-x.com)
    -konig daylite golds
    -Sports Grille

Brakes:
    -Stoptech Street Performance Pads (rallysportdirect.com)
    Last edited by Superacerc; 02-07-2013, 03:51 AM.
    09 Forester XT Build Click Here
    07 Jeep Commander 4x4 Click Here
    66 Ford F100 Stepside Click Here

Well Here's my Forester the week I bought it (Dec 7 2011) (I like pics).
    It's a 2009 XT Limited. It's got the all weather package and leather. Seems to have pretty much everything except navigation.

It's been a whole week so far and here's my first mods:

Removed the Snorkus:

I tried leaving it uncapped with the stock filter but it seemed to lag really bad so i capped it up.

I received my K and N filter and Cobb Access Port and installed them:

I was a big freightened at the idea of doing the stage 1 against the warning from cobb with the K and N filter. I tried it and it's logging fine. I'll do some extra data logging to make sure in the next few days.

The results of the Cobb and K and N seem great. It did about what i expected it to do. Definitely noticable (quite a bit) but nothing gut wrenching or super drastic. It feels more linear and able to hold boost longer through the gears giving it a little more mid rpm power.
    Last edited by Superacerc; 11-08-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Put on a Cobb DP and gasket, and a 22mm whiteline Front Sway bar/Antisway Bar.

(April 2012)I decided to give the Cobb AP performance monitors a try. Keep in mind that I know that they can't exactly be super accurate, especially the dyno app (so i won't even talk about that) but here's what it says my car is doing for speed times:

I've been working on my 0-60 times trying to find out where the best shift point for my setup is at the moment (4eat in manual mode). At first I was getting 6.8 secs 0-60 cause I thought that shifting earlier (cause it just feels like it pulls harder in the lower or torquier RPM range) would deliver the best results (I was wrong). To me that was dissapointing having stage 2 cobb done. So I decided to experiment a little and see what the best times I could get were. So far the best I've done is 5.8 secs by shifting around the 5000 rpm area for first and 2nd which puts me right at 60 when switching to 3rd. 5.8 secs was in the morning with about 60 deg F and in the hotter part of the day at 85 deg I've managed about 6.1 secs.

I've tried a couple of 1/4 mile runs in an extremely deserted area ( no houses, cars, people and minimal animals, I am in texas after all) on my way home from work. My first run (both runs were at 85 deg F on a flat straight stretch) gave me a 15.1 sec @ 85 mph (i think that was it) and the second run on a different day after figuring out the best places to shift is getting me about 14.85 @ 91mph. Both of these runs did not warrant my best 0-60 time seen from the morning 0-60 check so I think if i had a better temperature and got a great 0-60 time I could pull off a 1/4 mile in about 14.6ish. (According to the Cobb however accurate it is).

From reading other's times with a very similar setup to mine I think that's about as good as I'm going to get without a PRO tune which would probably push it down to a low 14 on the Stock TD04. I don't plan on getting a custom tune with the TD04 however cause I forsee a new turbo on the horizon before the end of the year. Probably the BNR EVOIII 16g coupled with a fuel pump sometime after the summer and a mild tune around 17-18psi max with my stock TMIC.

In other News, I've Ordered Some RAAMAT and Ensolite and will be putting some sound barrier in my Foz to make my commute a comfy and quiet one. Should be in early next week and I'll take a few nights to install the stuff starting with the two front doors.

Comment

Thanks to a contact from Nate, and TURBOTEKTUNING I'll be getting an ETune(Protune) for quite a bit cheaper than my guy here in Houston was willing to do it for. We're starting the process tomorrow. I'm Pretty Excited about it. I guess that'll be the end to my power mods for a while since this is pretty much going to max the TD04 out. I'll get the lightweight pulley, rear swaybar, and a dw65 fuelpump in the meantime till I can afford a Turbo. That should keep me busy for a bit.

I'll also be soundproofing the Foz with Raamat.

Comment

Ahhh, I think this model (SH) is the ugliest one. Subaru though of giving it more the SUV look and that was wrong. Just my opinion on the looks. But I agree it's a good car!
          Please get rid of the K&N filter, get a stock one or a Cosworth, Apexi. This K&N filter is oiled and that will kill your MAF-sensor.
          Japanese Beast

Comment

(April 2012)So today after work I uploaded the first etune on the foz. This tune isn't drastically more powerful than stage two cobb, but it's not supposed to be yet. This was to establish a base tune to work with. What it does do that is different from the cobb stg 2 is provide a smoother power curve that holds boost longer into the high rpm which is pretty nice feeling.

Also today I began my RAAMAT install. I finished my two front doors before my wife went into town with the foz. For any of you guys that are going to install raamat I suggest keeping some bandaids available for the mega paper cuts that you'll have when finished.

Continuing...

Finished the RAAMAT install. It makes quite a difference especially on black top roads where my tires aren't as noisy. It's virtually silent up into the mid 55-mph range except for the rush of wind by the windows. On concrete roadways, like interstates tend to be, the tires are still a bit noisy. I wish they were worn already cause i'd love to put a quiet set of michelins on there.

Almost done with the protune. For the moment i'm holding about 15.5-16psi on average through my 3rd gear data logging and it's feeling quite a bit stronger than the Cobb tune which only averaged 13.5-14.5 when I did the data logs. It's also alot more driveable than the Cobb Stg 2 tune and not so jumpy.

Continuing.....

Update on the protune: in the latest revision of my tune (7th), I'm now holding 17.6 psi. That's all she's gonna do for boost I believe. We held the timing in a bit longer on the top end as well. I may get one more revision but I think it's close to done with. Dropped almost a second off my quarter so far as compared with the Cobb STG II and .6 off my 0-60. From a virtual Dyno program the tuner is using (I don't know how accurate it really is, seems a bit generous to me) he inputs the info from the data logs which I complete on a super flat piece of Tarmac and before this latest revision he figured me at 257whp and 279 tq. My quickest 1/4 I've done so far is 14.4 @ 9X(90 something) mph. Temperature was 78deg and extra humid when doing the runs. Best 0-60 so far is 5.7. All the times were recorded using the Cobb ap applets built in the programmer. I figure there's some error involved due to the fact that the tires size can't exactly match whatever the ecu is using to calculate the speedometer, which should be where these numbers are coming from. I just dont know if the error is in my favor or against me.

Comment

April 2012: Tinted the windows. I think my left arm has gotten more of a tan than my right due to not having tinted the windows already.

I'm ready to get out of Houston! I'll be PCS-ing next year hopefully somewhere north (very north). Going to try for Alaska or anywhere north.

Coming in to work today there was a brand new Mercedes SL350 in front of me. I don't know much about these cars except they should be pretty quick. He was always taking off like a rocket from each stop light but would get caught usually at the next one. I ended up behind him and decided to see if the Foz could keep up with it's acceleration. To my suprise he couldn't leave me behind at all. Once he saw I was playing keep up behind him he nailed it a bit and still couldn't leave me behind. I'm sure at first he had no clue what was behind him since it was 0545 and still dark outside. Then at the next light i'm sure it pissed him off that a little station wagon/CUV was keeping up with him. Made me smile a bit. (No speed limits were majorly broken here. Just accelerating to about 5+ on the limit. It also wasn't a race. Just seeing if I could hang with the big boys ). I just looked up the SL350 and it's times from the factory are almost identical to what my foz should be at the moment. A pretty even match on the acceleration front, not so even on the classiness, or handling, or comfort or pretty much anything else though. Was a bright red one. Very nice looking.

Comment

May 2012:
                Ordered Michelin tyres:
                Update on the Michelin MXM4 Tires: Now that they have a few miles on them I'll say that they are far quieter than the Geolanders. Not silent when on concrete roads here in houston, which is almost all I end up driving on since all our highways are made of the stuff. They are quieter though. On black top they are silky smooth and super quiet. They seem to get quieter as the temperature heats up during the day as well.
                For performance factors, the sidewalls don't give as much as the geolanders so it's much more predictable on turn in and has the same feeling i would get if perhaps the sway bars were thicker because it's reducing some of the body roll on hard turns. They seem far grippier when wet as well. I'm happy with the purchase.

Comment

May 2012: Had to go across the city for something in full traffic one evening. Coming out of the toll plazas(i make a full stop cause I dint have a pass) I usually gun it to get up to speed (where else can you do 0-75 in a nice straight shot legally?) So I'm speeding up, my kid is in the back sleeping, and I notice a honda civic that came through the fast pass lane beside me (traffic is backed up so they were slow moving coming out of the fast pass lanes as well). I'm moving past him at not a super fast pace but pulling away pretty quickly as I go up to 75 and I'm thinking to myself man my car isn't as fast as I thought since I figure he shouldn't even be near me with a plain civic when im at full throttle. After driving down the road a few minutes he comes past me in the fast lane and I realized it was an SI model. That made me feel a bit better. He must have had that thing floored to be keeping up like he was. Of course an SI needs to be floored to be in its sweet spot in the high revs. It used to be easy to spot the SIs cause they looked different. It was a plain ugly grey 4 door.

Comment

Brakes are finished. I took it for a test drive and to bed in the pads. I noticed an immediate difference in bite from the stock set. These are much better than whatever was on there stock! I heated them up by stopping as hard as possible from 60-10mph and then speeding up again perhaps 8 times in a row. Then drove a while at speed to cool them down and repeated it a few more times after that. They bite hard every time even after multiple stops and will lock all 4 tires up pretty quickly when poked a bit harder. The old ones, after a few quick stops would go mushy and not stop as quickly. With these, that certainly isn't the case.

These would probably not do for someone tracking their car for a full weekend of hard braking at a course but they are a must have for gaining extra stopping distance and keeping out fade in the mountains.

I'd recommend these to anyone wanting better braking and not wanting a pricey full racing setup. Cost me $95 and was well worth it.

On a side note, the jeep will be getting a set of these next go round.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Brake Job May 2012:

Brakes are finished. I took it for a test drive and to bed in the pads. I noticed an immediate difference in bite from the stock set. These are much better than whatever was on there stock! I heated them up by stopping as hard as possible from 60-10mph and then speeding up again perhaps 8 times in a row. Then drove a while at speed to cool them down and repeated it a few more times after that. They bite hard every time even after multiple stops and will lock all 4 tires up pretty quickly when poked a bit harder. The old ones, after a few quick stops would go mushy and not stop as quickly. With these, that certainly isn't the case.

These would probably not do for someone tracking their car for a full weekend of hard braking at a course but they are a must have for gaining extra stopping distance and keeping out fade in the mountains.

I'd recommend these to anyone wanting better braking and not wanting a pricey full racing setup. Cost me $95 and was well worth it.

On a side note, the jeep will be getting a set of these next go round.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I got the radio installed today. It sounds much much better than stock. Right off the bat the bass has come out more and everything sounds nice and well.... better in every way.

A cool feature:
                        Since the display and buttons change color it has 2 modes, one for night and one for day. It knows when you turn your lights on to swap colors. I tried to match the night time to the colors in the car at night and the daytime mode to just be bright and readable.
                        Here they are

Daytime:

Nightime:

Thanks again to Mike/Fisher624 for the sale and good service.

My turbo blanket was sent to the wrong post office (according to the online tracking service) and was hence undrliverable yesterday so I guess it'll probably get here next week sometime.

Comment

PTP Turbo blanket and heat wrap install:

They supplied the bailing wire for the buttons on the blanket but I forgot to order some metal straps for the exhaust wrap. I'll pick some up tomorrow morning at Lowes or something but for now it's all on there just not super secure for the exhaust wrap. These should keep my engine bay (esp. the TMIC) a little cooler. Heres a few pics.

Everything i got in the mail:

An overhead view of the blanket:

On the car with the exhaust wrap:

Comment

Upon heating up the PTP blanket for the first day or so it smokes just a bit while it's breaking in. Don't worry if yours does this, It's NORMAL. First thing I did when I got back to the house was pop the hood, Wow! You can actually just touch the blanket and it's not hot. The intercooler also is much cooler where the heat was rising up to it.

I'm quite happy with the product and knew it would work from the beginning due to the heavy use of Turbo and exhaust blanketing (called lagging) in the Marine Industry(all the big ships use em, in fact they have to for safety reasons/regulations).

For you guys with wastegate flutter noise from using the Aftermarket downpipes on a TD04, this makes it so I can't even hear it. I haven't been out on the highway yet but I was trying around my local area to replicate the annoying ticking(by changing speeds and accelerating at different rates) coming from the wastegate and although it's obviously still there underneath somewhere the insulation keeps me from hearing it.

Comment

Swift Sport springs install (the US brand that Moog mentions that only drops about 3 cm):

Here's some pics of the install:
                              Removing front strut assembly:

Removing springs from struts:

Comment

Working...
                              X