Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JDM 1995 Subaru WRX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZenkiSR
    replied
    Originally posted by jmacman12 View Post
    Epic win, I'm not sure what else to say man.

With an odometer that low, a car that clean and a cost that minimal I don't think you could have scored bigger!

Any updates since then?

How is driving it in the winter? If you don't store it (which I can understand if you do)
    This is what my Winter Spec looks like. Stock legacy wheels with Nokian Hakka RSi.

Can't wait to get the Regamasters back on though.

I don't store it. I used to own a 240SX with a SR20DET swap that was rust free. It was my baby and I stored it during the winter. Not being able to drive during the winter drove me nuts (having to rely on others for grocery runs, going home to see my parents meant train or bus for 8+ hours instead of a 4 hour drive, and going on dates in the winter was embarrassing for me as being able to pick her up is a big deal, heh). That is why I sold the 240 and bought the WRX. Driving the WRX in the winter is an amazing thing. There has been maybe 1 or 2 times where I have lost traction without me trying to create the lost traction. Both times lasted for a split second, then the AWD kicks in and then I'm back to gripping the road. While everyone else is spinning out at intersections, I can still drive as I usually do and that's with stud-less winter tires.

It's my every day car and a true DD, but I also treat it really well. I keep it clean throughout the winter and make sure to get under it every chance I get to make sure there is no 'city winter solution' (salt, rocks, dirt, etc) latching onto the undercarriage. I know winters are hard on it and I want to get as many kms as I can out of her, so I do my best to protect her from rust.

The plan for the summer is to get Robb's 440 tune and then just rock that until I get the money for the 550 tune and a TD05 16G, as I only have a TD04 due to it being an auto

Leave a comment:

• jmacman12
    replied
    Epic win, I'm not sure what else to say man.

With an odometer that low, a car that clean and a cost that minimal I don't think you could have scored bigger!

Any updates since then?

How is driving it in the winter? If you don't store it (which I can understand if you do)

Leave a comment:

• ZenkiSR
    replied
    Originally posted by nut View Post
    that is a serious win dude, awesome daily. im jealous, my uncle owns a prestige leasing company in japan and constantly tells me i cant pick a car up cheap. this is just proof.
    Yeah man, a little patience goes a long way when it comes to getting cars via auction in Japan.

Originally posted by KillerBunnys122 View Post
    Looks really good!

How does it feel driving on right side of the car?
    Thanks man!

It was kinda crazy at first. I picked it up in Delta, which is an industrial section of Vancouver, but I still had to drive through a section of Vancouver to reach Hwy 1 to head north home. The hardest part to get used to in the city, was that the windshield wipers were now on the left side and the signals on the right of the steering wheel. That's the opposite of a LHD vehicle. Once I got that down, it was just like driving a LHD in the city. On the highway, the biggest issue was adjusting to measuring where I am in the lane based on the white line on the right side instead of the yellow on the left that separates the two lanes. It can get a little worry-some having vehicles meeting each other at 110km/h on a highway with only one lane going each way, and you're the one thinking "how close am I to yellow line? is this going to be the time I judged wrong and it's all over?"...the only reason those feelings come up is because you are so far away from that line now, that it's simply hard to judge without some time using the white line instead.

After that trip home, driving the RHD is a breeze.

Originally posted by SAMARAI View Post
    What a find mate! Enjoy
    What was the mileage to get home??
    Thanks man!

It was around 800kms. It's about 10 hours driving, as 100ish kms were in the city of Vancouver

Originally posted by Daihiro View Post
    Convert it to manual for more wins?
    Maybe, the eariliest it will happen is when I'm done Uni in a few years. I may never switch it though. It's a brilliant car with under 18,000kms on it, if it remains a daily, why turn it into a project? you know?

My feelings right now see me leaving it with the 4EAT and 300whp and just leaving it there, and then going back into a 240SX for a project.

Leave a comment:

• Daihiro
    replied
    Convert it to manual for more wins?

Leave a comment:

• SAMARAI
    replied
    Re: JDM 1995 Subaru WRX

What a find mate! Enjoy
    What was the mileage to get home??

via Tapatalk 2 for Galaxy Mini

Leave a comment:

• KillerBunnys122
    replied
    Looks really good!

How does it feel driving on right side of the car?

Leave a comment:

• nut
    replied
    that is a serious win dude, awesome daily. im jealous, my uncle owns a prestige leasing company in japan and constantly tells me i cant pick a car up cheap. this is just proof.

Leave a comment:

• Snowman
    replied
    Awesome car dude! any plans to convert it to manual?

Leave a comment:

• ZenkiSR
    replied
    So far, I've paid $3000, I get the final invoice monday/tuesday. Off the top of my head though...

Auction: $1600
    Travel in Japan + exporter work (ESTIMATE, this is what I haven't been billed for yet): $300
    Shipping: $1000
    Fees/Taxes/Customs/Release/Temp Permit/Gas home = $1000
    Out of Province + fixes = $250
    Registration = $250

So, unless my estimate on the work in Japan is wrong, $4400.

Leave a comment:

• nut
    replied
    wow thats a serious win. how much did it cost landed/regoed tho that is the question.

Leave a comment:

• ZenkiSR
    started a topic JDM 1995 Subaru WRX

JDM 1995 Subaru WRX

1995 Subaru WRX

My cousin brings JDM cars into Canada to supplement his income, so when I told him I was looking for a WRX, he offered to find something for me at cost. I gave him my budget of $6000, and he went to work. After about of week of him looking for something suitable, he found this gem. The car received a 4 overall, A interior, B exterior at auction with under 16,000kms on the odometer. My cousin decided to put in a bid of $1600 and see what happens....he won. Both myself and my cousin believed that it went for so little because it is an automatic, and after further inspection post-auction, we still believe this to be true, as the car is very clean overall and has the paperwork from Subaru to confirm the 16,000kms. My cousin was trying to fill a container, so I had to wait for him to find a few more cars or half cuts to fill it up before it was shipped over, but then we decided to go with RO/RO as he wasn't having much luck with the auctions. So about a month after we had won the auction, the car rolled onto a ship, heading for Vancouver BC. Some customs/bureaucracy misshaps and 3 weeks later, the car reached its new home.

Flew down to Vancouver early Wednesday morning, did paper work at CBSA (Canada Customs) for about 40 minutes, got my temp insurance to drive her home, then finally got to go down to the WWL yard and pick her up. From there, drove her the 10 hour trip home. That all doesn't sound like much, but I started my day at 6am, and finished it around 3am the next day.

Unfortunately it did fail the Out of Province inspection, but the defects are not outrageous. It failed due to lack of Day Time Running Lights (soldering iron, wire, 5 minutes, done), and a cracked taillight ($40 at a Subaru enthusiasts parts yard).

I can't say I like the automatic tranny more then a manual, but it is very responsive, and I love the fact that launches like a bat out of hell compared to my SR20 swapped 240 with a blown mani->turbo gasket.

Plans for the coming year are: basic sound system, Turbo-back exhaust, and probably new summer tires.
Working...
X