Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTO GPX my slow build :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTO GPX my slow build :)

So I have been slowly doing a few things, and organising a few little bits for my FTO.
    So I thought I may as well chuck a build thread here for it. Not sure if many people will be interested in it, but I thought I would do it anyway

I purchased this earlier in the year, as I needed a manual car to learn to drive, and I fell in love with these cars a couple of years back.
    I started my search when I moved back to New Zealand mid last year, and didn't find much...
    I took a look at some locally, and they where all thrashed, and in average condition, missing interior panels, and with damaged body-kits.
    I then found one in Oamaru, an hour and a half drive from here, I went up there to check it out, and I was really happy with it's condition. But I couldn't get the money for it for about another month, and in that time it sold. So I went back to looking for something.
    A month or so later I found the same car that I wanted in Oamaru for sale, but in Christchurch, which is about 3-4 Hours drive from here.
    I sent the owner a message, and confirmed it was the same car as earlier, and put in an offer for it. The same day, my mazda MS6 sold, which meant I had the money to buy this car.
    The next Monday, my Father drove it down from Christchurch for me

The car was 100% factory stock, with only 123,000 KMs.
    Summary of how it was when I purchased it:

The good:

Low KMs
    Sunroof
    factory Momo air-bag wheel
    Factory EL Steel kick-plates
    no tears in the seats

The bad:
    damaged, and off-colour front bumper
    Blown front speakers

Since then I have thrown in a new head unit, de-catted, front speakers, Pod Filter, new Viper Alarm, and a Cusco front Strut brace went in last week.
    I have also received my new front bumper, that should be fitted and painted within the coming weeks

some pics from just after purchase:

Then it got decatted, and a new pod filter:

New Viper 5906 Alarm/Remote starter got installed:

It's a pretty cool unit, and I got a few accessories for it too, proximity sensor, shock sensor, window roller, and a few other little bits.

A quick average video, but it shows the basic unit:

New Head unit, It will do until I get an Alpine unit:

Then my strut brace went in a couple of weeks ago:

Then this arrived last week too

As well as the new indicators for the above:

I may change these over to silver ones once I have seen them in the bar:

How they should look in the bar:

My favourite profile of the bar:

I'm just waiting for these to arrive before I take the car to the body shop to get installed/painted:

And that's about where I'm up to for now

I'm hoping to have it all installed before the charity cruise in a few weeks!

For any local members:

http://www.southernskylines.com/charitycruise/
    Last edited by Technikhaus; 23-10-2012, 03:00 PM.
    1996 Mitsubishi FTO GPX Manual

Very nice, there a very good car, and relatively cheap and easy to mod. Ohh and that remote starter, window roller ect. Is SICK!! ahaha, i want that for myn.
    http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...psb544bf0a.jpgCheck out my thread for my first car E36 BMW 318i - http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...33-My-BMW-318i

Comment

Hey mate,

Good to see you're over here too. I'm hoping to make it to NZ for some skiing next year, so might be able to catch up with you then?

Cheers,
      Fraz

Comment

I like this. Always had a soft spot for FTOs. Nice little motors.
        Currently drive a Honda CM2 (2003)

Comment

Originally posted by BMWAdam View Post
          Very nice, there a very good car, and relatively cheap and easy to mod. Ohh and that remote starter, window roller ect. Is SICK!! ahaha, i want that for myn.
          Thanks it cost me 5K NZD, which is a bit high for them here, but it was unmolested, which is hard to find

Originally posted by fraz91 View Post
          Hey mate,

Good to see you're over here too. I'm hoping to make it to NZ for some skiing next year, so might be able to catch up with you then?

Cheers,
          Fraz
          Sounds good, Queenstown? I'm planning on going back there next year again, met a few of the guys from FTOAU there this year.

Originally posted by Stevearcade View Post
          I like this. Always had a soft spot for FTOs. Nice little motors.
          Thanks

Comment

awsome car my dads had 212,000 miles on the original engine and it was still going strong when he sold it

Comment

Fog lights FINALLY arrived!

How the ring looks powered on:

How it looks sitting in the bumper, with the indicator:

Plenty of room around it

And some people came to visit me while I was in the shed:

Taking the car in on Monday

Comment

And it's home!!

Now I just have to wire the lights in

it's not a 100% perfect colour match, but it's not easy to match 15yr old paint

I'm happy with it
                Last edited by Technikhaus; 05-11-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I was so close to buying one of these based on the engine, the deal breaker was the lack of cruise control and the celica was better value for money. One thing with that remote starter, what if its in gear? I think for manuals its a pointless addition but all the rest is just wow. Well done mate its a really nice car
                  sigpic

Comment

I do like the new bumper, it looks very subtle and improves the clean look of the car.
                    29 years old, and still a daily.

Comment

Thanks, that's exactly what I was aiming for, I didn't want it to be over the top, but I also wanted something different

Comment

Not a lot has happened lately, but I got bored and put my Android Tablet in the dash

Comment

Nice little car. I can tell the paint isn't the same on the new bumper but it's only coz I'm picky, ha ha. Lovin' the pedo bear sticker
                          My Daily: 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage - First car - Green P Plater

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...f-HQ-images%29

Originally posted by RBenthusiast
                          If you don't have to look at it when you walk away, you bought the wrong car.

Comment

Haha cheers,
                            Yea, the bumper annoys me :/
                            I've been considering plasti-dipping it, but I'm not too sure yet.

Comment

So, my rear suspension was collapsing, so I decided it was time to replace them, and at the same time get some new springs.
                              All I could get locally were Lows, so I went with them. It drops it 30mm, and it looks fantastic!

So, some pics.

The new shocks for the rear, $70 each:

New Srings, $440:

The rear before lowering, on the collapsed side...

Front side before lowering:

Rear after lowering:

Front after lowering;

The gap missing here is where the wheel was scraping earlier, and I think it is still slightly scraping now since removing that too...
                              The cleaner part is where it was scraping after lowering...

A couple of random pics...

On another note, what's this??

Comment

Working...
                              X