Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 2000 Subaru Impreza RX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2000 Subaru Impreza RX

Finally got around to starting a thread on here :P

Here she is my 2000 Subaru Impreza RX

I bought this car around the end on October this year, but I was then away for 2 weeks so i really have had it for only bout a week. I bought an RX because i'm on my P plates and as many of you know in Victoria can't drive lovely turbo rexes so i went for one model down. The car appears bone stock except for an unusual muffler which looks pretty good and gives a better than stock sound, but i can't identify a brand (pics soon). Its nice and punchy, and over the next few months i'll do a few mods to it. It'll mostly be cosmetic mods as people say its not worth doing major engine modding on NA subaru, but i am looking to improve the air intake, exhaust, and maybe headers and chip the ecu (doing more research to judge if worth it). So I'll slowly upload more photos as i begin modding this beast and getting it looking mad
    Last edited by Rorza33; 02-02-2013, 11:17 AM.
    1985 Alfa Romeo 33 - race car
    Current 1986 Alfa Romeo Sprint 1.7 - race car
    Current 2000 Subaru Impreza RX - daily driver

Nice pickup! I like the GC RX's - bit of get up and go with the 2.0

Sounds like your head is in the right place with mods. I wouldn't bother with the chip. It will do nothing to performance. Focus on improving the look, the sound and the handling.
    sigpic

Comment

Took some more photo's of the car yesterday

^love the twin pipe look on the car. don't believe this is standard

^interior in good condition, but need to give it a clean in the next few days

^stock headunit and speakers will be the first things to go!

^i really feel that the snorkel on this is really shit, and wouldn't get great airflow. anyone have any recommendations on improving airflow for my car
      Last edited by Rorza33; 02-02-2013, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Remove the snorkel. Everyone does it!

Yeah those twins pipes aren't stock. Looks good though
        sigpic

Comment

So after doing a bit of fiddling i removed the snorkel and all the piping up to the air filter. noticed a reasonable mid range torque increase as well as a deeper engine note. for now this is only temporary because on long journeys it will just inhale hot air from the engine, but my plan is to remove the resonators off the piping and thinking of retro fitting the snorkel off a liberty rx and hoping i'll keep this current torque increase

^liberty snorkel

^photo i found online of a guy who removed the resonators on his liberty. hoping mine will look similar to that

Comment

Re: My 2000 Subaru Impreza RX

that should be a good mod and likeing the car

sent from the fish bowl using bubbles
            When Modding Gets Tought The Tough Get Modding
            sigpic

Comment

That saab in the first picture looks tough lol

But nice ride. Dont go nuts modding though and make it look like something modded from the 90's. yuck!
              Last edited by Fastback; 18-11-2012, 09:02 PM.
              2003 MERCURY SILVER BA FORD FAIRMONT GHIA

Comment

The most important of all mods arrived today

On a side note obtained a liberty snorkel and fits the piping all fine, but the impreza radiator has its filler cap on the wrong side so it blocks the snorkel. looking into seeing if a liberty radiator would fit in my car so that the radiator cap is on the other side and thus allowing me to attach the snorkel.
                Last edited by Rorza33; 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Could just use some hose from bunnings and make a cold air intake anywhere
                  Most Powerful K03 GTI in Australia! Now with LSD.

Comment

Bought the entire air intake off a liberty from a wreckers the other day. the snorkel looks absolutely mad, but sadly wont fit on my car becuase the impreza radiator is different and blocks it. Looked into putting a liberty radiator in to it so the snorkel would fit but the piping to the radiator would hit the timing belts in the impreza as the liberty has more space between the radiator and the timing belts. Luckily no all was lost as the filter in the wrecker part was heaps better than my current filter so replaced that. My thoughts now are to just use the intake piping i bought to replace the pipe filled with resonators and just pipe it to a cold air spot.

^filter out of the wreckers intake

^photo of what i did earlier removing all the resonator piping and snorkel. only down side is i reckon it sucks in hot air from the engine when its hot, so if i just add some piping to redirect it should maintain the torque increase i witnessed getting when i got rid of the snorkel and piping
                    Last edited by Rorza33; 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Nice rx :P
                      Like both you and morgan have said, don't bother with any actual mods because they will be expensive and you won't see any real gains. I was considering a whiteline swaybar for mine but I can't really justify spending about $300 on it. You could consider getting a swaybar off of a gc8 wrx as I think they are a bit bigger which will make handling better but thats up to you.
                      I was also gonna remove my resonator but I never figured out what part of the air intake it was so I just left it haha.
                      Another thing I never got around to doing was getting some unequal length headers off of a gen1 liberty, which makes the rumble more present but they do need a little bit of modding as they're not a straight swap.

Just keep doing comfort mods and whatever makes you happy, and save up for your future wrx hehe
                      My 2000 Subaru Impreza RX

it's only illegal if you get caught.

Comment

Yea i've got a mate who knows a lot of people who buy wrx and sti's and then just mod the shit out of them. so they have like near new to new parts which were in the cars they replaced for bigger and better, so hes aquired for me a huge range of rear sway bars off wrx and sti's which all vary in stiffness which i'm going to pick from. I was actually looking at just getting some borla replica unequal headers to get the noise going, and if i want it little louder a straight through muffler. learned this technic off a forum thread here ->http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39169 which is a great read for any NA subaru owners. My new plan for the intake is fitting the airbox off a wrx as that sits in the right spot in the fender to get cool air and just pipe that to my current filter box like this photo i found
                        want to keep it little stealthy so thats why i don't want to go pod filter as cops would notice that fairly quickly if they open the bonnet.

No real update as i've just been driving her around getting use to how she drives as well as saving my money and looking to start spending for mods in january. But will be doing the sound system for christmas so should see an update of that little bit after christmas, as well as going to attempt to paint the side skirts and the little plastic bit on the rear bumper the metallic blue of the car.

Comment

Mightycarmods Sticker inplace

on a side note performed some touch up paint to the front bumper where there was a small section at the front which had some paint chips which were down to the primer so they were really noticable on the dark paint. turned out quite well. just need to give it a bit of a buff and will look awesome
                          Last edited by Rorza33; 23-12-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Happy New Year everybody. Thought I'd post a quick update of what been going on. more pics soon but I've started doing the sound system. Headunit is in, now that it fits and all works moving on to install all new speakers amp and sub

Last edited by Rorza33; 02-02-2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Nice looking RX
                              i have the 1996 one!
                              i really look forward to seeing what you do with yours and hope it will help me,happy new year and good luck on the car buddy

Comment

Working...
                              X