Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'07 Evolution IX MR FQ-360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '07 Evolution IX MR FQ-360

The story from the beginning...

I looked at loads of different sports cars but decided on the Evo because of performance and practicality (4 doors and a big boot), luckily my local dealer had one for sale and I put down a deposit within two days of viewing. It was still completely stock at this point except for a new handbrake handle and gear knob...

there were only 200 of this exact model made, this is number 163

The following year, as part of a uni project, I made a carputer system that incorporated full media system (satnav, video, audio, wifi, surround sound, 3G etc), ECU mapping & flashing and a 5 axis IMU. There are loads of pics of this build so will only put in some highlights. Build thread at http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=234725

The screen didin't fit properly but there wasn't time to send it back and get a replacement

Now just sorting the wiring

and voila

this was followed with a test of the data logging and vid capture at Snetterton

Smile sponsored by DD Evo goodness

Within 5 laps I'd warped my stock Brembo's so that was the next mod...

Ksport 330's front (8pot) and back (6pot)

Next was the exhaust and turbo elbow; the budget elbow needed some modification to make it fit properly (Sorry about the pic sizes)

and a short vid with a friend driving

It was time for further handling mods. Swapped the stock bilstein and eibachs out (they were far too wallowy) and threw on some HSD HRs; the 17" speedlines were changed for a set of 18x8.5 OZ Alleggerita.

Everyone loves a bit of RAKE

Was far too low and was catching anything from speed bumps to roadkill so it had to be raised; it now feels so much more planted through the bends.

Then the most recent mod was too remove the stock, battered silver badging and replace with black badging

other mods include:
    Turbosmart DP BOV
    Coil-on-plug kit
    Exedy Twin plate clutch
    Map by Zen

mods to come:
    GSC S1 cams
    Intercooler
    Exhaust Manifold
    Speed Density map

future mods:
    Forged Rods and Pistons
    1000cc injectors
    valves and springs
    better turbo elbow
    HKS GTII Kai 7460 or Turbo Technics S209

Current stats:
    365fwhp
    366lb.ft
    1/4 mile: 12.51 (prior to wheels and suspension)

Comment

Re: '07 Evolution IX MR FQ-360

i read the whole thing its a nice car you seem realy smart with engine mods and handling mods.

sent from the fish bowl using bubbles
      When Modding Gets Tought The Tough Get Modding
      sigpic

Comment

Very nice! Love your seats too btw!

Comment

One of the cleanest Evo's I've seen. Beautiful!
          Josh's 2013 Volkswagen Scirocco-R

Josh's 2010 Mazda 3 Sport

Comment

Glad to see some DSM around here...too many Scoobys.

I Keed, Subaru is alright
            HellaStock...Resale is Everything?

Comment

mfw I read this thread:

I don't have much else to say man. I'm emotionally drained just typing this.

For the record: Evo=dream car, which I hope to own in the next few years
              sigpic
              My 2008.5 Mazda Axela GT
              Click here for the MCM Shop
              Have you seen the MCM WIKI page? If not, click here!
              "Limit's, like fears are often an illusion"
              -Michael Jordan

Comment

sweet evo dude!
                2002 Black Holden Commodore VX SERIES 2 S PACK

Comment

Thanks for all the great comments guys

@ J.D.M Zachary
                  It's a daily driver so I don't want to go silly with power; anything over 330kw and I'll have to forge the engine (hence future mods) and that'll cost a lot of cash and will also take away reliability.
                  The trans would also have to be overhauled to take that sort of power so I decided early on to get as much as I could safely on the stock block and make the car handle/stop well.

@ jmacman12
                  I'm not sure what prices are like in Canada but evo prices have dropped massively in the UK so it's not hard to find a bargain.
                  The only issue is the running costs, which some overlook when they buy one.
                  For a UK owner per year:
                  • service every 4.5k miles or 6 months (price anything from £200 - £600, with some dealers charging upwards of £800)
                  • new set of tyres approx every 12k miles for a decent set your looking at £120 a corner
                  • things going wrong - can cost nothing over a year but, then again, I've spent over £1000 this year and the same last year fixing mechanical failures
                  • petrol - motorway 25 mpg, town 18 mpg, country roads 8 mpg
                  • flat tyre - if you get a flat with half worn tyres and you can't fix the flat then you have to replace ALL four tyres rather than just one
                  • insurance... nuff said

There's a great calculator here

I'm not trying to put you off evo ownership as, to be honest, it's awesome but I met several other new owners whose experience has been tainted due to the unexpected running costs and they've had to sell after a year. I wish you all the best in finding your dream car and if you need any help or advice then just ask

Comment

And here's a bonus vid of me getting my arse handed to me by a GTR:

Comment

wow, nice car

I'm just wondering, in that short video is the BOV seriously so loud that it creates an echo? Just sounds like a gun going off in the vid hahaha
                      "Speed never killed anyone. It's the sudden stop, that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by IHeartS13 View Post
                        I'm just wondering, in that short video is the BOV seriously so loud that it creates an echo? Just sounds like a gun going off in the vid hahaha
                        Yes, it is that loud. I didn't plan on it being that loud, it just turned out that way; I've tried increasing the release pressure but I just end up with chatter.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
                          Thanks for all the great comments guys

@ jmacman12
                          I'm not sure what prices are like in Canada but evo prices have dropped massively in the UK so it's not hard to find a bargain.
                          The only issue is the running costs, which some overlook when they buy one.
                          For a UK owner per year:
                          • service every 4.5k miles or 6 months (price anything from £200 - £600, with some dealers charging upwards of £800)
                          • new set of tyres approx every 12k miles for a decent set your looking at £120 a corner
                          • things going wrong - can cost nothing over a year but, then again, I've spent over £1000 this year and the same last year fixing mechanical failures
                          • petrol - motorway 25 mpg, town 18 mpg, country roads 8 mpg
                          • flat tyre - if you get a flat with half worn tyres and you can't fix the flat then you have to replace ALL four tyres rather than just one
                          • insurance... nuff said

There's a great calculator here

I'm not trying to put you off evo ownership as, to be honest, it's awesome but I met several other new owners whose experience has been tainted due to the unexpected running costs and they've had to sell after a year. I wish you all the best in finding your dream car and if you need any help or advice then just ask
                          Thanks for the advice dude!

The calculator was insightful albeit not entirely accurate for my situation nor for the mileage I'd do.

Funny enough, we don't have any Evo's in Canada aside from the 10. Other generation evo's have had to be imported from elsewhere, be it evo 1-3 from Japan (we have a RHD ban/law...long story) or the 7-9 from the USA because they did receive them.
                          1. I'm fairly aware of running costs. My old Audi used to have insane service figures but luckily I'm able to do a lot myself now. I'd probably leave diffs/tranny oils to the dealer. I mean on average, I only drive 10 000kms a year so servicing shouldn't be too bad. (truth be told: I got rid of it due to problems/servicing) If it's anything like the running costs for STi's then I'm sure I'll be fine, as a few of my friends own STi's.
                          2. I run two sets of tires (winters + summers) so that cost doesn't bother me, not to mention they are great deals around here. I currently run Potezena RE760s which only costed me about 750 USD, whereas retail/locally was double that price!
                          3. Gas price, yeah no way around it but I have to pay to play. I do a lot of highway at least.
                          4. Insurance, well that's one of the reasons I have to wait it out a bit longer rather than taking a loan out now.

Thats why in the meantime I am currently saving and investing for it (Y)
                          sigpic
                          My 2008.5 Mazda Axela GT
                          Click here for the MCM Shop
                          Have you seen the MCM WIKI page? If not, click here!
                          "Limit's, like fears are often an illusion"
                          -Michael Jordan

Comment

I'm really glad your going about it in the right way and it sounds like you won't have any problem what so ever with ownership.

Just had a look at Canada Autotrader as well as import sites, it's shocking how few evo's are around

Comment

okay this has to be one of my favourite evo's ever!

Comment

Working...
                              X