Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Car: 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage (Heaps of HQ images)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Car: 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage (Heaps of HQ images)

Complete:
    Alarm system installed
    Rear vision mirror installed
    Washer motor replaced
    Narva 4200K Plus 30 Maximum Legal Blue Headlights/park lights (with distinctive blue appearance) installed
    COMFORT;
    Central locking system installed
    Seat covers/ steering wheel cover added
    Darkest legal window tinting
    SOUND SYSTEM;
    10inch Fusion Encounter Sub-woofer
    350Watt Kicker KX350.4 channel AB Amplifier
    200Watt Pioneer GM-2000 2channel Amplifier
    KDR336-2 Single Din JVC Deck
    two 6inch 240Watt component fusion ce speakers (rear)
    two 6inch 250 Watt 3 way full range fusion performance speakers (front)
    WHEELS;
    Unique 15' Japanese style rims
    195/50-15 82V Toyo TEO Plus tyres
    Hub rings
    Chrome wheel nuts
    Lock nuts
    Sprayed the calipers/ drum brakes red for the extra 25Kw (including clear coats)
    PERFORMANCE;
    CAT back performance exhaust system with high flow circular centre mounted muffler and high flow 3.5" cannon exhaust. 9% power increase

Planned:
    Install the new speakers I have bought to replace the blown ones.
    Install the new central locking system I have bought to replace the faulty one currently installed.

The Journey
    So firstly my name's Matt, I'm 17 and from Perth. About a month before I could get my L's my parents decided i should get a car to learn in/ have for the first few years of driving. My guess is this is because they both had just bought new cars and didn't want me learning in them, lol. My dad looked on the message board at work and found a few decent cars and let me choose the ones i liked the most. When i saw this i thought it had potential, it was cheaper than the rest, younger and in much better condition. It isn't a performance vehicle but it is reliable, fuel efficient and very good value for money. Plan is to keep it till i finish Uni (just starting this year) and then get a more sporty vehicle that i can do some more serious mods to

To start out with it looked pretty much identical to this; minus having no rear view mirror and the bumpers being unpainted which to be honest i prefer. It had 115 000Km on the clock and needed a major service. After $400 and a few days work, my uncle, my dad and I had it done.

I started out buying a new rear view and getting it professionally fitted which cost me around $100 but i wasn't complaining considering what price i got the car for. Unfortunately the old mirror permanently damaged the windshield as you can see from the pic below but it's a minor problem, just looks a little untidy.

Next was fixing the windscreen wipers. They had a mind of their own. You couldn't get them to work when you wanted to but would randomly turn on during a drive and make a horrible screech as they dragged themselves along the dry windshield. After buying a new windscreen wiper switch for about $80 i saw no change. My dad spoke to a few people from work and they suggested a new washer motor. Sure enough $15 later and a little bit of work they were perfect.

I then bought some seat covers and a steering wheel cover just to make the ride a little more comfy and to get those hideous stock seats out of view.

This is where the actual modding begins.

My uncle still wanted to keep his sound equipment but with his new SS commodore Ute (AMAZING VEHICLE!) had no room for it. He gave me his 10inch Fusion Encounter Sub-woofer, 350Watt Kicker KX350.4 channel AB Amplifier and a 200Watt Pioneer GM-2000 2channel Amplifier. I Then, over the period of 6 months (between my birthday and Xmas) got a KDR336-2 Single Din JVC Deck, two 6inch 240Watt component fusion ce speakers for the back and two 6inch 250 Watt 3 way full range fusion performance speakers for the front. These replaced the horrible 6inch 15Watt stock speakers. Pics below

Stock speakers

KDR336-2 Single Din JVC Deck

6inch 240Watt component fusion ce speakers (Rear of the vehicle)

6inch 250 Watt 3 way full range fusion performance speakers (Front of the vehicle)

It went from this (progress):

To this (finished): Had to mount a piece of board i sprayed metallic charcoal to match the seat colour to the back of the seats to host the amps as they would not fit under the front seats. Also had to buy the rear parcel shelf to hide the boots contents as the original was lost a few owners ago as well as the button which attaches to the string and holds it up when the boot is opened. Was surprisingly expensive ($110) from a wrecker. Added some harness straps to hold down the sub and prevent it flying into things when going around corners. Later changed the harnesses to the ones pictured as they are easily unclipped and so the spare tyre is easier to get to. Bought an alarm to protect the new equipment and a central locking kit for the ease of access while i was at it. Central locking kit was about $80 while the alarm was about $150.

Rear Speakers installed (no pic of front speakers installed as they are silver and do not show through the mesh easily):

Deck installed:

During installation of the deck, front speakers, alarm system and central locking system:

Installation complete (changed the steering wheel cover and front seat covers as they were faded due to sun damage, gives the car a cleaner look don't you think):

One of my tyres kept deflating so my dad and I took it off to have a look, it had a nail piercing quite deep into it. We also noticed my tyres were becoming bald so he recommended i buy some new tyres. I though to myself that if i was to get some new rims this would be the time. After heaps of ummmmming and arrrrrrring i decided that over the 5 year period i was planning to keep the car the extra $680 it was going to cost me if i didn't just buy new tyres to fit the 'stockies', was nothing over the 5 years. I might as well enjoy my car! I purchased unique 15' Japanese style rims, 195/50-15 82V Toyo TEO Plus tyres to fit, hub rings, chrome nuts to fit, lock nuts and the red caliper paint for the extra 25Kw (including the clear). I made the deal with the TyreMart eBay team after heaps of research and plenty of searching. Total cost was about $1260. The tyres and wheels to fit by themselves was a $990 package but they also supplied all but the caliper paint. They were very helpful throughout the process and answered all my questions!

Front rims fitted with disk brakes:

Rear rims fitted with drum brakes:

Now for pics of the car currently!

Unfortunate small crack above the number plate by previous owner and small dent in number plate. Also oxidization is getting bad on the bonnet as there aren't many layers of paint left. Planning in the future to maybe by some silver or black paint (maybe a shade in between) and help my uncle respray the car. Whatever colour i choose it will be a colour Mirages don't come with stock just so it will be unique.

Got some Narva 4200K Plus 30 Maximum Legal Blue Headlights/park lights for Xmas so installed them a few weeks ago. Light is much whiter and vision was increased a little too. Haven't been able to see them myself from a distance but they are supposed to have a distinctive blue appearance.

Planning this week to go see the guy my uncle used to fit the CAT back exhaust system on his SS Commodore Ute, to get an idea of what i could do to mine to make it sound deeper and have a bit more of a ROAR. Lemme know what you guys think!

Booked in to get a full CAT back stainless steel sports performance exhaust fitted on Thursday. Recorded the 'before' video today so I'll be making a video probably Friday of the 'before and after' sounds.

UPDATE: Page 3
    Last edited by ElectrifyYourMind; 30-06-2013, 12:47 AM.
    My Daily: 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage - First car - Green P Plater

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...f-HQ-images%29

Originally posted by RBenthusiast
    If you don't have to look at it when you walk away, you bought the wrong car.

Looks alot better man, nice modifications, unfortunate about the rear vision mirror...that would annoy me so much!
    sigpic

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...st-Car-Pplater

Nissan Silvia S13 - Pride & Joy

Comment

Ha ha, yeah, thanks mate, pics of the car now coming soon!

Comment

Why put splits in the rear?

Comment

Originally posted by badbaker723 View Post
          Why put splits in the rear?
          What's wrong with that?

Comment

the components provide much better sound quality. would have been alot better doing them the other way round.

other than that. nice car keep it coming

Comment

Nothing wrong with it, just seems a bit extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by supraking View Post
                the components provide much better sound quality. would have been alot better doing them the other way round.

other than that. nice car keep it coming
                Yeah i see your point but i got the component speakers first and already had some 60 Watt speakers in the front for a few months that my dad gave me as he just upgraded his front speakers. Plus we took a look and the component speakers had a better mounting spot in the back while also away from people knocking them out (the smaller speakers) with their feet.

Comment

nice car but why did the parcel shelf cost so much
                  SENT FROM THE NISMO BADGE ON MY MICRA

Comment

Congrats mate! Nice car and good luck with mods
                    MCM Queensland Facebook Groups:
                    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Brisbane
                    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Sunshine Coast
                    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Gold Coast
                    Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - FNQ
                    MCM Queensland Forum

Comment

Originally posted by blitz View Post
                      nice car but why did the parcel shelf cost so much
                      I don't know hey, it was about $200 from Mitsubishi so the $110 from the wrecker didn't sound so bad. Still so expensive though hey!

Comment

Originally posted by MRTIIDA View Post
                        Congrats mate! Nice car and good luck with mods
                        Thanks mate, hopefully will get round to adding more on this thread tomorrow, still a bit to update you guys on!

Comment

nice pickup, the mirage CE's are a good little car, plenty of potential in them aswell
                          if you ever need any advice on them let me know i know the CE's pretty well inside out

Comment

Looks good, very clean. Can't wait to see what you do to it in the future
                            http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...psb544bf0a.jpgCheck out my thread for my first car E36 BMW 318i - http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...33-My-BMW-318i

Comment

Originally posted by Res View Post
                              nice pickup, the mirage CE's are a good little car, plenty of potential in them aswell
                              if you ever need any advice on them let me know i know the CE's pretty well inside out
                              They are, aren't they Thanks so much mate, will hit you up if i ever have any questions!

Comment

Working...
                              X