Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teen's Honda Civic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen's Honda Civic

Yep I have a car It's been sitting in the backyard (I don't have a fancy schmancy workshop...heck I can't even use my garage) since November of last year just waiting to be worked on

Details:
    • 2000 Honda Civic VP
    • 100K miles on the odometer (that's really low for an 11 year old car)
    • Broken Bumper and Fender after meeting Mr. Pole from previous owner
    • Runs fine and everything

Well I'm only 15 (10 more days w00t) so I can't really drive it yet, so I can't really tell what's wrong with any mechanical parts of the car. Also, because I'm still only in high school, I have a limited budget and time, so I won't be able to update that much because I can't work on it for a long time. So, for awhile, this will probably be my car until I'm old enough that I can get a car, or I score a near perfect score on my SATs XD

Basic Mods:
    • Fix Bumper, Fender, and Fender Well (DONE)
    • Changes Brake Rotors and Brake Pads
    • Figure out how to change Drum Brakes
    • Change out headlights (because they are both cracked and held onto the car by a bolt or two) (DONE)
    • Change Oil (It's getting close to oil change time, and I rather go all DIY)
    • Change Spark Plugs (It's past due)

Mods Hopefully when I get money:
    • New Radio (Volume control doesn't know the difference between left or right, looks ugly)
    • New Speakers (Stock is always bad)
    • Short Ram Intake (For only $100, that seems pretty good)
    • Cat-Back Exhaust (a friend of mine told me to when I get the chance )

Date: 3/2/11
    Currently, I'm fixing the bumper, fender, and fender well because they all got mangled and destroyed meeting Mr. Pole. Those clips holding the fender well to the car are annoying to take off...they just chip and break off like nothing and then don't want to come off

I've so far taken off the bumper and fender well. I don't understand how to take off the fender though...it's still connected somewhere I just don't know where. Is there a bolt underneath the side skirt or something?

Date: 3/15/11
    Well it's been about 2 weeks since I last worked on the car...busy with school and life in general, but today, with the help of my dad, I was able to finish putting on the new bumper and fender, but now I have to take out the headlights because it's cracked, pushed inwards, and attached to the car with 1 bolt...

YAY! It's all fixed

100,444 miles for 11 year old car....that's...really low...which is good =D

Nice big engine bay...really dirty, gotta fix that with a toothbrush and degreaser

Well that's my work so far, but I now have a new question.
    Is it better to get JDM Aftermarket Headlights or a second-hand pair from a junk yard? And which would cost less? I think the second-hand pair would cost less, but have more issues than new aftermarket ones. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by lildragon555; 27-03-2011, 01:55 PM.
    Need Computer Help? Ask me

My Car Build Project (Gone)
    Current Car

Originally posted by MOOG
    I fail at MCM
    Look what I did to MOOG D=

For being 15 years old Im pretty impressed. Its good that you are already getting your hands dirty.

Yes there is a 10mm bolt at the very bottom of the fender under the car.

-seth
    Last edited by RoadWarrior; 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadWarrior View Post
      For being 15 years old Im pretty impressed. Its good that you are already getting your hands dirty.

Yes there is a 10mm bolt at the very bottom of the fender under the car.

-seth
      Of course there is
      I mean, I would be fine getting underneath a car when it's on like my driveway, but when it's next to like a forest...who knows what's on the ground D=

Also, thanks for the compliments =D

Current Car

I fail at MCM

Comment

also did you get the bolt in the door. The door has to be open all the way to get to it.

Comment

I got the bolt in the door, and the three on the side underneath the hood...
          Is that all of them?

Current Car

I fail at MCM

Comment

And the very bottom one. Your good to go.

Comment

Put a tarp down or something, then you'll be safe(er) getting under your car. :P

Comment

Once you do the work yourself, you will appreciate this car soo much more, not to mention the bonding between you too LOL. Seriously..
                Spelling mistakes are most likely due to me typing on an iPad.
                MR CELICAS TOY!
                MrCelicas Family rides!
                Originally posted by Rake
                MrCelica is all class. Listen to him.

Comment

Always nice to see more n more believers flock to the forum. Honda Civ's rock. Especially EK's!

having done the drum to rotor conversion myself, I can tell you what you need.

You will need to source another honda civic '92-'00 with rear brake rotors. A Del Sol 92-96 will do nicely too (thats what I got my brakes from)
                  Now you must've noticed the whole braking system is integrated in the long suspension arm that runs parallel to the car. So they are quite big bits to transfer compared to most other cars. If you got those 2 (left n right) you're basically good to go. A tip here: most of the rubber bushings at the front end of the arm link are a bit "shot". Make sure to pay extra carefull attention, and replace if necessary BEFORE installing them. Getting some new aftermarket discs shouldnt be too much of a hassle, and shouldnt cost too much. I recommend doing the pads too at this stage. If your a trasher, I highly recommend Ferodo's DS2500 pads. Never faded for me, and they bite approx 20-30% more compared to standard. its a very wise idea to fit these on the front too while your at it.

Long story damnit! oh well... If you ever have questions, just give a shout and I'll be happy to help out.
                  Originally posted by deadcell96
                  It's like Underground 2 all over again.
                  Originally posted by jmacman12
                  ...but, but he's got such a good star rating!!

Disclaimer: Under NO circumstance should anybody replicate any actions I did. Seriously. Don't.

Comment

Oh I was just gonna like change or clean the drum brakes, didn't know you could actually physically change everything to a rotor assembly

Current Car

I fail at MCM

Comment

Drop a B18c7 engine in it" off 1999 to 2001 integra type R or i think 98 to 2002 civic type R( wasn't released in AU)".... Give the turbo's some run for there money!
                      Mighty Jdm Dc2R, 128.8kw Atw @ 1065kg - Running 13.875 @ 100.26 mph
                      Youtube JDMTEGR
                      http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...JDM-Conversion

Comment

Whoa...I don't even know how to take off a fender until this thread, let alone changing an entire engine....jeez

Current Car

I fail at MCM

Comment

LOL.. Yer can't say i would be a 100% comfortable doing my self either... Get the Mighty car mods to do a couple or ep's on it. And pay for material's
                          Youtube JDMTEGR

Comment

Originally posted by lildragon555 View Post
                            Whoa...I don't even know how to take off a fender until this thread, let alone changing an entire engine....jeez
                            hahahahaha no sweat m8. There was a time when each and every one of us didn't know which way around the spanner goes to tighten or loosen a bolt.

Except for Rake maybe, but he was born with a spanner in his hands.

Swapping an engine as your 1st mod is probably a bit off, but heres a little story for ya. My roommate back in college didnt know **** all about modding etc. He bought himself a honda civic eg6 with a 1.3 carb engine in it. Ok, truth be told, we were both in car engineering college, but they dont actually let u tool around, the idea is that you design the stuff.

Anyways, he got hold of a 1.6 esi engine, and without having done any mods, he swapped that engine in less then 2 days. Sure, he had a m8 who's dad is a car trader, but he never helped out. And that m8 in question had some screw loose up there, and apart from some modest tooling experience, he never did a swap either. The only advantage they had was acces to all the tools they needed and a carlift.

This is just an illustration of what I'm trying to say when I say: Honda's and engine swaps are real easy. So don't be too scared of them just yet. May not be the best thing to start on, but you deffo should not discard this option for the future. It's what makes these cars so fun and great to own/work on. There are some mental engines that fit right in without any modifications.

Having said that, don't be a tit and modify a non-vtec engine. The power gains are way to low when compared to the same mod being done on the higher power vtec's. So don't waste your money in this department untill you have the right engine.

damn, another long story hehe (I was actually gona continue suggesting mods, but I'll leave it at this )

Goodluck with that ride m8!
                            Originally posted by deadcell96
                            It's like Underground 2 all over again.
                            Originally posted by jmacman12
                            ...but, but he's got such a good star rating!!

Disclaimer: Under NO circumstance should anybody replicate any actions I did. Seriously. Don't.

Comment

Agree with that. A mate has the VTI version of my car. With cold air intake , 3 inch exhaust high flow cat. header's and apexi vtec, fuel air controller. And my type R inpareses him. All that money modding!!
                              Youtube JDMTEGR

Comment

Working...
                              X