Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

khindustries 'excellent' hyundai ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• khindustries 'excellent' hyundai ;)

If you going to make derogatory comments just go and troll on someone else's thread.

Now for those of you who respect car people regardless of said car that they own, this is my club excel. It is used for events such as Motokhana, Khanacross and Autocross. I bought the car when I was just thirteen from a private mechanic for $650. Since then I've restored it to a respectable state as well having some great results in the Junior Championship I compete in (got second outright in 2012).
    In terms of race upgrades I've stripped the car of all sound deadening, aftermarket OMP deep dish steering wheel, stronger and stiffer Pedders shocks and springs, fixed bucket seat. I also repainted the car blaaaack with some silver highlights on the bumpers.
    The car is still 100% street registered and usable on the road, and I plan to use it on my P's while I save up for something turbo once off my P's.

Pictures:

When I first bought the car

After a respray with rattle cans (young and stupid ) I should note the car is wet in the pictures, the paint used was actually matt black

Then a proper respray happened, the reasons for the second respray and the whole process is detailed HERE: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ps-DIY-respray

And now the car looks like this

So the current list of mods are:

-Custom paint (satin black/silver)
    -Factory alloy wheels
    -OMP deep dish steering wheel
    -Fixed Bucket seat with custom mounting
    -Hood pins
    -Mounting points in floor for racing harness
    -6 point racing harness
    -Custom made Harness bar
    -Repainted brakes all round in blaack
    -Aftermarket sports muffler (bwaaaap )

I have some rally tyres and nicer alloy wheels which I plan to get both tyres and wheels for.
    Also planning to get an MCM sticker

Once again just try and keep the hate to yourselves, I'll just ignore you, it's a Hyundai I'm use to people ripping on it
    Last edited by khindustries; 03-08-2013, 09:51 PM.
    Originally posted by thatcoolwind
    Only narrow minded people hate on cars because of their brand.
    Originally posted by Cal
    I've driven skylines, 180's, even hachi's with 4AGZE's, not to mention all my corollas, and I have to say the excel was a blast to drive.
    Check out my excellent ride HERE: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ellent+hyundai

It doesn't matter what kind of car you have, If you've put in the work, time, and money you deserve a little respect.

More pics:

Last edited by khindustries; 22-02-2013, 03:42 PM.
    Originally posted by Cal
    I've driven skylines, 180's, even hachi's with 4AGZE's, not to mention all my corollas, and I have to say the excel was a blast to drive.
    Check out my excellent ride HERE: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ellent+hyundai

It doesn't matter what kind of car you have, If you've put in the work, time, and money you deserve a little respect.

Comment

How reliable is this car during the events etc? Just wondering...
      sigpic
      _'03 Mazda 323 Astina Shades __________________________________________________ ________NG Images - My Facebook Page

Comment

Looks good, That's pretty much how mine looks but mine is blue and it has faded clear coat. How did you debadge the boot by the way? I tried getting rid of the bubble excel badge and it ripped up paint and made it look junk. Also where did you get the seat from and how much did you pay for it? I was looking at getting some seats that could hold me . the stock seats i drive around a corner and i slide off the side.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeinJapan View Post
          How reliable is this car during the events etc? Just wondering...
          Surprisingly they are extremely reliable. On the competition days not one has broken down and I reckon we have about 8 excel's racing per event. The BMW's and Commodore's go wrong more often than these, even WRX's have had a few issues (tuned by owner) and the excels have gone on. You never have slight fear of something going wrong with the car.
          Last edited by khindustries; 27-01-2013, 06:31 PM.
          Originally posted by Cal

Comment

Autocross & road registered excel

I love this idea of a small, reliable FWD rally car.
            Originally posted by ThePossum
            Its always made me feel uneasy, like I'm about to get bent over a pool table and take an exhaust, in my exhaust.
            Originally posted by blitz
            make it low with some stance
            Originally posted by Cal
            I miss him, now we can only comment on each others facebook statuses saying each other are gay
            Moist.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
              Looks good, That's pretty much how mine looks but mine is blue and it has faded clear coat. How did you debadge the boot by the way? I tried getting rid of the bubble excel badge and it ripped up paint and made it look junk. Also where did you get the seat from and how much did you pay for it? I was looking at getting some seats that could hold me . the stock seats i drive around a corner and i slide off the side.
              Well the original boot lid was damaged and a replacemnt one was fitted without badges. I have seen a few without badges but they are a pain to get off. I can totally understand with the seat, I drove another one at the track without better seats and had to slide the passenger seat forward to lean against haha
              Last edited by khindustries; 27-01-2013, 06:33 PM.
              Originally posted by Cal

Comment

Haha sweet
                Any chance you got a video of driving it?
                Oh saw those seats the other day guessing not to comfy but they'll hold you in nice?
                Would be good to get into something like this. And a excel cheap parts ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by Liighthead View Post
                  Haha sweet
                  Any chance you got a video of driving it?
                  Oh saw those seats the other day guessing not to comfy but they'll hold you in nice?
                  Would be good to get into something like this. And a excel cheap parts ftw!
                  Only video's are of motokhana so not to exciting. Planning to get my friends gopro sometime and get some maaad onboard shots. Got a video however of somebody else in an excel on the same autocross track I race on.

the channel this vid came from also has lots of excel rally action as well as a 200km/h run in a stock excel. that's right 200km/h with STOCK ENGINE AND GEARBOX. only upgrades was suspension and rollcage.

Parts are real easy to get with over 300,000 of these things sold in the 90's. I even went to the wreckers to get some parts and had 5 excels to choose from.

@Rageaholic as for my seat it was $100 from ebay brand new. You can either find them on ebay or here: http://www.soldsmart.com.au/l2.aspx?depts=32&cats=174
                  Ghepardo is a cheap brand but had no problems with mine and for what I'm doing it's in tune with the excel in terms of budget fun.
                  Last edited by khindustries; 13-02-2013, 03:28 PM.
                  Originally posted by Cal

Comment

I've got an xcel on my drive way at the moment,
                    I'm kinda embarrased to have one there
                    How was your car's previous life before you took it autocrossing?
                    1997 b5 Audi A4 Avant
                    1997 w202 Mercedes Benz C180 <-Mummy's car
                    ... Cars, Music, Photography, that's the life
                    - P Plater

Comment

Originally posted by khindustries View Post
                      Well the original boot lid was damaged and a replacemnt one was fitted without badges. I have seen a few without badges but they are a pain to get off. I can totally understand with the seat, I drove another one at the track without better seats and had to slide the passenger seat forward to lean against haha
                      Yeah you have to take them off and sand down the clear coat and re clear it because they are in the clear coat or something.

Comment

stop being worried about hate, youll get that with any car.
                        i drive protons which have similar underpinnings

looks like your having plenty of fun with it, which is what counts. and at that price it certainly counts

Comment

Originally posted by The Euromy View Post
                          I've got an xcel on my drive way at the moment,
                          I'm kinda embarrased to have one there
                          How was your car's previous life before you took it autocrossing?
                          Probably just a bucketload of neglect. The excel's are very easily sun damaged and mine was a dark green (not to far from the MCM mire green) but clearly one side had been left in the sun for man years and it was badly cracked, had to take it back to metal when I repainted it. The car also has lots of hail type damage on the roof, but it's t inconsistant with the rest of the car me and dad reckon it was someone in high heels on the roof.
                          To add to all this the car also must've had a moderate accident at some point, the rear bumper had been centre punched and then poped back into shape (stll fits fine amazingly) and the metal support for the plastic front bumper had been pushed in one side.
                          Luckily no chassic damage and the only major fix to pass roadworthy was a new windscreen. Issue is that I just tried to get a quote for Insurance from JustCar
                          but they said they won't give me comprehnsive cover unless the damage is fix (despite it not being strutural).
                          Originally posted by Cal

Comment

Hah, good to see i'm not the only person punting around in an excel, cool thrash car.
                            I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me...

Daily Hack: 1993 Hyundai Excel - 4G63t Conversion << Click to view.
                            Project Car: 1934 Chevrolet truck

Originally posted by Kiteal
                            Last time I went through a defect station the cops opened up my engine and saw I had an after market piston ring =(.
                            Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

Yeah,
                              The xcel in my driveway has similar Sun damage,
                              Haven't had a look but I think it may have some hail damage too, It's the green you described
                              Last edited by The Euromy; 29-01-2013, 01:03 PM.
                              1997 b5 Audi A4 Avant
                              1997 w202 Mercedes Benz C180 <-Mummy's car
                              ... Cars, Music, Photography, that's the life
                              - P Plater

Comment

Working...
                              X